New terrabyte drive....now what?

flashbackflashback Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I just got a new 1.5Tb internal drive and am wondering what would be the best way to go with Win and DS.
Install as c: drive and copy old drive onto new? Install as D: drive, put Ds there?

Win 7 might be a problem, I originally had Winxp on another computer that died and moved the drive to a new system. I then bought a win7 upgrade, now I'm on yet another new machine. I'm not sure if I need to re-install win and if so how.

I think the simplest solution would be to leave the original drive as the C: drive for boot-up and install Daz to the new drive but I'm concerned about issues with DS and 3d products if installed to other than C:

Anyways, I'm a bit nervous about this as I don't want to have to re-install several hundred gigs of content.

Thoughts, opinions and advice welcome!

Comments

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Any issues you have from files being in a different drive would would last until you loaded them up and mapped the path again. The path of the content should have no bearing on it itself. I.E. It doesn't matter what drive your content is in, as long as you let DS know your library's new position.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

For my computer, Windows is on C Drive and so are all the programs.

All my content however is on another drive. I did it that way so that if I needed to reinstall my OS and programs, I would not have to reinstall my content.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I use my external as a backup drive. DS where it's not written to install to ... not sure that's a great idea. Not even content, then you have to constantly have to monitor where all your new content is going to be installed to. I have all that installed in it's default locations and then back it up once a month or so with a little program I like called "Beyond Compare 3".... Good luck!

edited December 1969

I don't have any backups, if my library goes... Well I quit xD

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Some computers have enough space for more than one hard drive, does yours? The other alternative to save moving stuff is to buy an drive enclosure and turn it into an external drive. I did that once many moons ago. I think they have hard drive docking stations that you can also use for that now.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280
    edited December 1969

I keep as much as I can on external drives. The internal is mostly just applications, the font library, and the kind of settings files that need to live in the users' account folder. I've not noticed any slowdown in accessing things from the content drive or my projects drive. (And can hitch either one to the laptop when traveling and have everything in the same place.

• flashbackflashback Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi all and thanks for the replies! Sorry it took so long to respond, but my gaming partner came by and weve been playing Borderlands 2.

There is plenty of room in my case for more than 1 internal drive and I would like to keep the config i have now but the current drive has only 6 g of memory left. I think I'll just move everything but DS and win7 to the new drive.

• DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited September 2012

I have all my content, (along with anything else i value) on a D drive, which is configured in RAID 1 (2 drives mirrored) so even if one breaks, I still got a copy.....
    I have had a drive fail on me before, so I'm not taking any chances :)

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

My tower has space for no less than 12 drives, I just don't have any more xD