Who else is working with a MacPro 5.1/Titan X setup?

I'm having problems and I don't know what I'm doing... so if anyone else with my hardware setup could share some OS & drivers version tips it'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

What are the specs? OS? RAM? HDD? Is the TX flashed or out of the box?

D you have the Mac drivers for CUDA and the OS to support them?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Your having problems but not explaining what they are. You need to be specific if you want a specific answer.

• Oops. Sorry, I don't know why I didn't get an email notification that someone replied.
    Thanks for your answer StratDragon.

The problem is that when I render with Optix Prime Acceleration checked the software crashes; it doesn't when it's unchecked.
    Here are my hardware and driver specs:

Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010)
    2x 3.06 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
    128GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC
    GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (flashed by MacVidCards)
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
    nVidia web driver 346.03.06f01
    CUDA Driver 7.5.26
    (I also have the option of using the OSX Default graphics driver, but when I choose that one DS4.9 doesn't "find" my GPU at all and I can only render on CPU)

Are you on a MacPro 5.1/Titan X as well? Or were you just being a good samaritan and seeing if you could be of any help?
    Either way, thanks a lot for answering. I've been getting good support from all around but no solutions so far.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,113

I'm a Mac User. What is the Titan X setup? Does it connect to the Mac and allow Nvidia cards to be used?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Oops. Sorry, I don't know why I didn't get an email notification that someone replied.
    Thanks for your answer StratDragon.

The problem is that when I render with Optix Prime Acceleration checked the software crashes; it doesn't when it's unchecked.
    Here are my hardware and driver specs:

Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010)
    2x 3.06 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
    128GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC
    GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (flashed by MacVidCards)
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
    nVidia web driver 346.03.06f01
    CUDA Driver 7.5.26
    (I also have the option of using the OSX Default graphics driver, but when I choose that one DS4.9 doesn't "find" my GPU at all and I can only render on CPU)

Are you on a MacPro 5.1/Titan X as well? Or were you just being a good samaritan and seeing if you could be of any help?
    Either way, thanks a lot for answering. I've been getting good support from all around but no solutions so far.

trying to be a good samaritan. I do have a 5,1 dual xeon in front of me, but an AMD gpu.

• inquire said:

I'm a Mac User. What is the Titan X setup? Does it connect to the Mac and allow Nvidia cards to be used?

The Titan X is an Nvidia card. It's made for Windows OS but if "flashed" properly it can be used in a MacPro as well. The downside is if there's a technical bug and you need nvidia to help out or look at a crash report, they'll just shoo you away.

trying to be a good samaritan. I do have a 5,1 dual xeon in front of me, but an AMD gpu.

Yeah I've only ever had laptops. And this whole GPU and driver thing is all new to me. I don't know what I'm doing basically.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited May 2016
    inquire said:

The Titan X is an Nvidia card. It's made for Windows OS but if "flashed" properly it can be used in a MacPro as well. The downside is if there's a technical bug and you need nvidia to help out or look at a crash report, they'll just shoo you away.

Yeah I've only ever had laptops. And this whole GPU and driver thing is all new to me. I don't know what I'm doing basically.

@daniewwerthphoto

Have you tried the recent 10.11.5 Mac OS update and the latest Nividia web drivers nVidia web driver 346.03.10f01?

I was looking to upgrade my Nvidia 770 to the flashed Titan X, or maybe wait and see if the new 1080 will work.

No problems with the 770, so before I bought the Titan x wanted to see if you tried this yet?

Post edited by FusionLA on
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

I have a 5,1 running 10.11.5 (as of 30 minutes ago). I'm using a GTX 980 from macvidcards (i.e. Flashed).

Is your Titan X flashed for OS X or stock? Regardless, you need to make sure you're running the latest compatible "Web Driver" and CUDA.