carrara hair shaders

Hi everybody!!!   I have two questions: first, I have to create a scene with 10 or 12 female character, so I pose one, then export in obj, then re-import and assign the shaders (the square colored ball) to it...  So it's much lighter than 12 V4 posable... ok, but the hair, carrara dynamic venus v4, doesn't "follow" the obj... is it a way to keep the hair to the obj "clone"???

and 2:  If I can without problems  see the different carrara hair in "preset" hair, impossible to find the shaders, ... I have put them in "preset-shaders" in the carrara folder, and I have tried to importe folder from the program itself, but nothing works!...

thank you for your help!!!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

First of all, if you 'grow' the hair onto the figure, it should stay with the figure when it moves. If it's on a hair cap, then you need to 'parent' the cap (with the hair on it) onto the figure: Just open the hierarchy of the figure so you can see all of the parts, and drag the hair object onto the head to parent to the head.

But you don't have that, right? Because you're exporting and re-importing as OBJ. Why? Hmmm...

Try just using the full rigged character without the export/import jazz. You'll probably see much better results. Here's a good work flow for the 12 girls thing:

Bring in your figure, set up the shaders and the poses, hair, etc., 

Now save that figure to your browser.

Start a new scene with the next figure, shaders, hair, poses, etc., and save that one to your browser and close it out.

Repeat this until you have enough women saved to your Carrara browser all ready to go.

Now create your scene, bring in the girls.

Perform "Edit > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders" to keep you system from becoming flooded with unnecessary weight.

Set up your positions and camera angle and shoot the render! ;)

==============================================================

To add shaders and other things to a good spot in your browser, it helps to make some custom locations to put them into. 

On a Windows machine (I don't know anything about MacOS) you'll have a DAZ 3D folder in your My Documents. Withing that, open the Carrara folder and then the My Presets folder. Inside there you'll have a "My..." folder for each category of the browser, except for Objects. Go inside those and make new folder that you want to save stuff into for your browser. It's a great way to organize your stuff, and keep your working space tidy for better performance all around ;)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

The polygons where the hair is grown is relative to the object that it is being grown on - sort of like saying you have an object with 10,000 polys, and you tell it to grow hair on polys 5,500 to 6,200.  When you save as an obj (with clothes as well? not sure from what you say), you are messing with the object description so when you reload, polys 5,500 to 6,200 are probably not now the ones you wanted them to be, they are probably distributed in patches all over the body!  Carrara dynamic hair only works on the object that it was made for.  If you are making your own, you could use a scalp model which can then be fitted to a variety of figures (like I did with my Adrea Hair), but preset hair like Venus will only work on their intended models.

For a scene with so many people, have you looked at the available lo-res figures, at least for the more background ones? Loretta Lores (and others from the same vendor) is very useful for that.