Best Nvidia driver for 4.5 ?

SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi folks, I have a Quadro 580 for my graphics card.
Do any of you know, if the Performance, Graphics or 3d Max drivers might be best?
I may be splitting hairs, yet, Nvidia gives the option so I might as well consider it.

Comments

• edited December 1969

Since the card isn't used for rendering (unless you do the rather restrictive OpenGL render) it really doesn't matter all that much. The Graphics and Max should be 'tuned' toward GPU rendering, if I recall. Now, if you are using the Reality plugin to render in LuxRender, then yeah, you'd want probably want Graphics. There may be other subtle differences...

• SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thank you, 10 times over!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2012

No problem...please excuse the 'not me' post above...you're welcome.

Basically, for just Studio that card is overkill.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thank you also!
    In regards to open GL, it seems that 4.5 with the 580 card does create a problem.
    I never had it before, with 4.0 and 4. 3765 ?
    I have turned Open GL off and am getting renders.
    Awesome.
    Is there a document that might make reccomendations for DS and 580 setups and tips?
    In regards to overkill, please explain, will it not help with moving animation eventually?
    I am only doing stills at this point.
    PS
    I got the card for movie editing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The included renderer in D|S doesn't do GPU acceleration or anything so, the only real use of the card is for the viewport. So for rendering stills, it's your CPU that's getting all the grunt work.

But for editing video, yeah the card will be used (just not all that much by D|S).