The art of modelling hair

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

Is there a good tutorial on the art of modelling hair. More of a technique oriented tutorial on creating hair that looks like hair.

I've been doing some experimentation but have not been very happy with the results and I'm finding I'm having a difficult time translating my 2D hair stylings into 3D models. Are there any basic frameworks you work from when building a 3D hairstyle or ways I should be thinking about dissecting the elements of a hair style in order to extrapolate my designs into three dimensions?

Comments

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Is there a good tutorial on the art of modelling hair. More of a technique oriented tutorial on creating hair that looks like hair.

I've been doing some experimentation but have not been very happy with the results and I'm finding I'm having a difficult time translating my 2D hair stylings into 3D models. Are there any basic frameworks you work from when building a 3D hairstyle or ways I should be thinking about dissecting the elements of a hair style in order to extrapolate my designs into three dimensions?

Oh God, now you've started something. I have a good tutorial somewhere and I can't for the life of me remeber where it is or where I got it, but I think it's one I got online so I'll have a look and see what I can find.
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Ok, found it, it's a really good method too. I don't know what modelling software you use, so I went for one that I know is done in Hexagon because Hexagon is currently free.

http://www.art-collaborations.com/Valea_HexHair.pdf

Hope that helps,
    Barry.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Woohoo!!! Thanks a tonne! Just what I'm looking for.