IRAY

Hi All.....

I have used Carrara for several years now and find it an incredibly useful tool for my work. It took me some time to get to a point where I was comfortable with it though, and there are still parts of Carrara that I rarely use and don't know well. I have found that I can build or assemble a 3D model of a set or scene I'm illustrating quite quickly with Carrara... and texture and light it well enough so that not much Photoshop work is necessary afterward. A big factor for me is the pretty good range of props and shaders available for purchase. I've been worried about the lack of support for Carrara within the Daz universe though. I bought MODO a year or so ago having every intention of learning it... but just don't have the time. But I'm feeling like I should be making the time..... My current question is about all of the "IRAY" optimized models, shaders, etc. that are being offered. I admit to not knowing much about IRAY except that it's a separate rendering solution (am I right?)... but it doesn't seem to be available for Carrara. Frankly I'm pretty happy with Carrara's native rendering....

Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if I can (for instance) purchase a set of "IRAY" textures and use them in Carrara? Will Carrara recognize them? Will they work right? Same question for props or environments... I see several that specify IRAY compatibility..or that they're made for IRAY output. Not sure what that means I guess.....

I'd appreciate any thoughts.... thanks.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Probably not...on the textures, or at least not without a bit of work.  The props/clothing/etc...it's still the same geometry and material zones.  And most frequently the base texture maps are usable anywhere, but the materials themselves...again not without major work.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you're looking at an Iray "shader pack", then probably not, since they are shader presets. But if you're looking at a model that's been "optimised for Iray", there's a good chance that it might work, with a bit of tweaking.

But then 3Delight models usually need some tweaking too.

Here are two renders in Carrara of Merlin's Wild Borders, one uses 3D3light shaders, the other uses Iray. All I've done is add a Realistic Sky preset for lighting, everything else is exactly as loaded. (no attempt at artistic quality!)

merlin-3dl.jpg
    960 x 600 - 516K
    merlin-iray.jpg
    960 x 600 - 546K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248

My current question is about all of the "IRAY" optimized models, shaders, etc. that are being offered. I admit to not knowing much about IRAY except that it's a separate rendering solution (am I right?)... but it doesn't seem to be available for Carrara. Frankly I'm pretty happy with Carrara's native rendering....

Iray is a new PBR (phisically based render) render engine made by nVidia, and Daz 3D has now implemented it into Daz Studio. As a matter of fact, D|S was the first software of its kind to offer it!

Hi All.....

I have used Carrara for several years now and find it an incredibly useful tool for my work. It took me some time to get to a point where I was comfortable with it though, and there are still parts of Carrara that I rarely use and don't know well. I have found that I can build or assemble a 3D model of a set or scene I'm illustrating quite quickly with Carrara... and texture and light it well enough so that not much Photoshop work is necessary afterward. A big factor for me is the pretty good range of props and shaders available for purchase.

~snip~

Frankly I'm pretty happy with Carrara's native rendering....

~snip~

I'd appreciate any thoughts.... thanks.

Same here. It took me a good bit of time to get to where I am now, but am I ever glad that I took the time to do so. 

I love how Carrara renders and all of the cool tools and functions it has that set it apart from everything else on the planet.

I keep thinking about Modo and LW too... but then, when I start looking into things, I keep telling myself that I can just do that stuff in Carrara, and go back to forgetting about other modelers! LOL

For me, I love the idea that I can just buy content from the store and open it in Carrara!

Nowadays we have to be more careful, though - since Genesis 3 doesn't work in Carrara. I just took a stroll through a small section of the store - only about twenty to thirty pages of it - and was pleased to see that there is still a lot of awesome products that will work fine in Carrara. 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

As far as I understand it,. All products for DS should ship with BOTH 3Delight and Iray shaders.