Diary of an Animator (How to / Making of Videos)

Hello!

I have a new idea for series 2 of Cyberpunk Dystopia. Work around 2 hours a day on it, with the emphasis on scene set up, character generation, lighting etc. Delaying full animation and rendering until right at the end of the project. (To save time).

Here then is my diary. Why not have a cup of tea/coffee sit back and hear about someone else's 3D Struggles....

27-Apr-2016

28-Apr-2016

Comments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

EDIT - I think Xsplit Broadcaster is pretty good so might go with the full version, but I wanted a one off payment. Any suggestions?

"Falling Asleep in front of the TV". Diary of an Animator 29th April 2016 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Very nice, hats off to you for taking the time out of your animation time.  I share much of your philosophy, e.g. avoid modelling by purchasing affordable, high quality, flexible models from talented vendors (Coflek-Gnorg is one of my favorites, also).  So the role is more of a director/producer, with "set design" being more of a placement of available elements.  Also, I tend to leave rendering of the animated scene to a later stage, after the various scenes/characters/etc. are "blocked" (placed).  And in most cases, I set the timing by creating the soundtrack, both music and sound effects (and dialogue, which I try to avoid), then set the keyframes/cut lengths accordingly.

I was a little concerned by one of the comments at YouTube: "Finally we put in a set of flaying cars ..."  Sounded like some SM was coming, but then I realized its a typo ... wink

Steve K - Yeah I thought I'd share in detail for series 2. It's a different vibe. For series 1 I was determined to prove I could do it, both physically and before runnning out of casheroonies. 

Now I can relax more and just "do it". What happends next depends on how popular it becomes. Very popular and supported = I animate, If not then I create storyboarded versions. The best bit of this is I get to "play" around much more with the faster stuff - i.e. setting up the sets, kitbashing, music composition etc.

re: "flaying cars", could be the accent of the writer? I used to write things in accented English. Always amusing. 

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

thanks for the tutorials - great job yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

+1

bigh said:

thanks for the tutorials - great job yes

Cheers bigh and Diomede. :)

Death Race 3000! Day 1 of putting the set together.

"Arrival Lobby". Diary of an Animator.

Focusses on which sets were used. Talks about where they will be used in the "Cyberpunk Dystopia" world that I've created. Touches on ripping up commercial sets for your own use (more on the Patreon only videos).

At the moment I'm in set creation mode, but this won't last too long before we go onto create characters, make music, lighting rigs, additonal models etc.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I was about to say that kinda reminds me a bit of Grand Central Station . . . ;)

I was about to say that kinda reminds me a bit of Grand Central Station . . . ;)

A great model if a little weary on our eyes now... :)

I enjoyed putting this kitbash / set of props together. I present...

Robot Workshop. Lots of Tutorial info contained in this one.

A waiting room for those unfortunate enough to be sent there. 

Some colour matching to be done. A little modelling and kitbashing makes the room unobtainable unless you are willing to put the time in. :) 

Choice of models and where I got them in the commentary. Sorry I don't know why the audio cuts out from 1:38 to 3:50.

Sorry I don't know why the audio cuts out from 1:38 to 3:50.

Reminds me of the great Texas singer/songwriter Steve Fromholtz (RIP).  During his (hilarious) live act, he would stop a song and glare at the sound guy, demanding "Who turned me down?"

Someone in the audience would respond, "Warner, BMI, Decca, Polygram, ..."  laugh

Steve K said:

Sorry I don't know why the audio cuts out from 1:38 to 3:50.

Reminds me of the great Texas singer/songwriter Steve Fromholtz (RIP).  During his (hilarious) live act, he would stop a song and glare at the sound guy, demanding "Who turned me down?"

Someone in the audience would respond, "Warner, BMI, Decca, Polygram, ..."  laugh

Ha ha! Talking of funny performers who interrupt thier own performance, have you ever heard Victor Borge? It's a wonderful act. Examples abound on Youtube. :)

Really pleased with this one. Includes 4 x renders, details of which models used and how I went about kit bashing it.

Steve K said:

Ha ha! Talking of funny performers who interrupt thier own performance, have you ever heard Victor Borge? It's a wonderful act. Examples abound on Youtube. :)

Yes, an alltime favorite, I have DVD's on my shelf, really funny stuff.  I think what sells the comedy is that he can really play ... when (if?) he finally gets around to it.

SteveK - "when he finally gets round to it" - yes all part of the act. Brilliant!

Meanwhile here is another Set I've Kitbashed together.

"Futuristic Canteen".

Sci Fi Bunker. I got the look I wanted with this set. Hope you like it.

The video is a walkthrough, showing models used, kitbash tips and final renders.

I talk about how I put the scene together (from a choice of models point of view), and how it will be used in the Web Series.

That's it for a while. I'm off to concentrate on the music for the series now. I'll be back with either Character generation or lighting in the future. Cheers!