Carrara trouble shooting help - keeps crashing (solved, sort of)

BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,017
edited May 2016 in Carrara Discussion

I recently reinstalled Carrara, alongside DS 4.8. Now, Carrara keeps crashing on me. My guess is that the Valentina DB was deleted at some point by me, and now doesn't seem to be reinstalled. I have tried to delete all elements of Carrara to start on a clean slate, but somehow, I seem to keep missing something. The end result is that the program opens, asks for the language, and then crashes.

(Win10 system)

Any thoughts/ideas?

Post edited by BeeMKay on

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Have you downloaded the most recent version. If not do it it gets rid of the Valentia DB and it is now th PostGRE DB. Same as the DIM and Studio4.8

When you start Carrara chck to see that the DB starts automatically. Valentina use to have a start and stop script this is not the case with the new DB.

if the new DB doesn't start the close Carrara start DIM or Studio and confirm it is running then start Carrara and close the other program.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Carrara now uses the PostgreSQL database, do you have that installed?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,017

Thanks for the fast replies....

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Carrara. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Postgresql, to be on the safe side. Same error.

Running DS 4.8 and then starting Carrara also creates the same error.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Can you confirm that the version you have is Carrara 8.5 .1 Pro build 19.

I recently reinstalled Carrara, alongside DS 4.8. Now, Carrara keeps crashing on me. My guess is that the Valentina DB was deleted at some point by me, and now doesn't seem to be reinstalled.

You should be able to install Carrara ans run it,. it doesnlt need to have DS or any database inatalled to run the core carrara pogram.

When you say that you may have deleted these files,. ..would that be manually deleting, or using the uninstallers ?

You should always use windows uninstal programs,. rather than manually deleting files.

Since  you've just installed carrara,. ...have you installed anythin else that's new?

If you've been deleting files,. and programs are crashing,. i'd reccommend that you re-install all the programs and don't manually delete program files,. use an uninstaller or Windlws Control panel (uninsrtal programs) to remove software..

Use DIM to uninstall DS and Carrara.

Use DIM  to install Carrara (only) ...then see if it works.

Use dim to install DS only./ ....see if it works.

break it down into logical steps to detect where or what is going wrong.

Hope it helps

The version is the correct version, I freshly downloaded it, and deleted the previous version in the DIM downloads.

Also, I installed/desinstalled Carrara using DIM. The CMS I deleted was not the program, but the "old" database files I no longer needed in AppData/Roaming/Local. I had some previous issues with the dtabase, and had to clean install Postgresql, and repopulate it from a backup, so all the database files there got cleaned out, because an uninstall doesn't delete these files.

DS works fine, without any problems with Postgrsql, both the 4.8 and the 4.9 Beta...

I can start Carrara. Then, it asks for the Language I want to use. I select English. Then, I get the crash notice.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

it could be  something corrupt in the extension folder

I have had that happen with ones for the wrong version of Carrara, I have many plugins and have occasionally added the wrong ones

I do recall it happening once reinstalling Carrara and I had not cleanly uninstalled it as said and again that folder was the culprit, I had tried to keep it to avoid redoing all my plugins, manually deleting it before reinstalling then copying and NOT replacing files got my extra plugins back and the correct ones for that build.

What extension folder are you referring to?

In your Program files /Daz3D / Carrara / extensions

that's where any Carrara plugins are installed.

If you have any plugins installed,. then it fit's with the way carrara is crashing,. after launch, and before the scene is created.

you can also test this by installing the main Carrara program into a new folder,.(Carrara_test) which will create a new clean install with no content, no plugins,. if that runs,. ? then your other carrara has a problem. and it's possibly a plugin.

Uninstall it,. do a "clean" install, of Carrara and it's native content,,. check that it works,. then download and install the latest versions of any Carrara plugins.

I tried a fresh install, and also an installation ito a new folder on a "clean" system.

The result is the same, which is kind of discouraging, seeing how the program worked just fine on the same system earlier.

Maybe I'm missing something that has to be manually deleted, after the uninstall, so that the install is "really" fresh?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

That could be a corrupted file during the download ?

I've also downloaded the Beta, and the 32bit verion, and installed those, too, just to be on the safe side. The error remains, in all of the versions. crying

The files carrara would leave after an uninstall would be the users preferences file,. since that's created by the user after installation.

That file should be in...  Users / You / AppData / Roaming / Daz3D

The 32 bit version should create a different preferences file,. the same applies to the last Beta version,. so, none of the preferences should effect other versions.

If the core application isn't running on a clean system then something else may be missing from your system.

It could be time to contact Daz3D Support,. file a ticket ,. see what they suggest.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I would check after uninstalling and make sure the program folder is indeed gone though, mostly your saved shaders stay etc and for that reason that extension folder too, 

I know as have lost saved stuff uninstalling in the past with DIM so avoid that now and I always back it up, I have lots of my own stuff in my program files folder as it is on my E drive hence the odd crashes at times reinstalling.

while I realise you have not saved anything yet it may have a corrupted file or several if the first download was not complete, it does happen, if that folder does not get deleted it may not overwite them reinstalling, for the simple reason people updating builds do not want to lose their third party plugins so a saftey measure.

th

I had a partial success...

I cleaned out anything that smelled even slightly like Carrara from my PC, and rebooted. Then, I installed the manually downloaded version using the Admin account, in addition to using another directory (removed the 8.5).

Now, Carrara works for my Admin user, though it doesn't seem to be able to access the "regular" CMS so far, even though it seems to have found the content folders on my G-drive.

It still doesn't work for my "regular" user. Mysteries over mysteries.

Okay... I found the problem.

It was this little line in the CMS config file: "TimeOut" : 100000,

I added it in a trouble-shooting session with CS, because my DS database times out before completing a backup.

The setting which leads to the crash is:

"TimeOut" : 100000,
        "Port" : 1024,
        "DatabaseClusterPath" :

Si I do need the timeout (or no backups). I guess I have to keep both versions of the file, one which to use during backup of DS, and use the "clean" version the rest of the time.

Bummer. (Of course, I can keep experimenting to see if reversing the order changes things, but CS told me that the timeout thing has to be at the first position.

User accounts,. YOU should be the Administrator (if you're isntalling software),.  the Administrator should be the only user installing any software,.

then the administrator enables the other users accounts to access those programs.

You NEED to be the administrator to enter the serial number for Carrara (and have it saved) rather than being asked for the serial each time.

If you are the only user of your system,. You are the admininstrator,. and you should be logged on with full administrator rights.

if you're not,. then you need to get the administrator to adjust your user account settings.

Actually, the admin rights were not the problem, but after cleaning out the DAZ folder of the ADMin, and reinstalling Carrara there, and Carrara actually working, I tried to find out what the difference was.

All the settings were the same, except for the CMS database config file. The fresh one didn't have the line, and once I deleted the line from it under the personal account (which has no Admin rights for security reasons), the Carrara under the personal account worked again. I tested it then by adding the Timeout line to the config under the ADMin, and the crash happened again, where it previously worked fine.

But this taught me a lot, and thanks to everyone's help, the problem was tracked down. smiley