What's best PC for DAZ Studio

I'm in the market for a desktop PC and want to know what are best specs (processor speed, multi core, screen res, memory) to have to run latest version of Studio. TIA for your suggestions.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Within your budget, what ever it is:

fastest processor you can afford. I would stick with an i7

nvidia video card with the most CUDA cores and vram you can afford

2 TB or larger hard drive. A second ssd is a bonus

most cpu ram you can afford. 16 GB min, 32 GB better

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    fastbike1 said:

Within your budget, what ever it is:

fastest processor you can afford. I would stick with an i7

nvidia video card with the most CUDA cores and vram you can afford

2 TB or larger hard drive. A second ssd is a bonus

most cpu ram you can afford. 16 GB min, 32 GB better

I second that list...with one exception...the AMD FX8300 and FX9300 series processors can be a viable alternative...IF coupled with the right motherboard.   Choices are bit more limited and almost always require a custom build.  For an off the shelf system, yeah, stick to an Intel processor.

• michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117

Why would the video card matter? Daz isn't a game it's not refreshing video images it's just crunching data.

Why would the video card matter? Daz isn't a game it's not refreshing video images it's just crunching data.

Because Iray is a GPU accelerated renderer...

• michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117
    mjc1016 said:

Because Iray is a GPU accelerated renderer...

Ahh that makes sense. But using Daz just to render animations using the 3delight engine shouldn't matter, right?

Using 3Delight...no, it wouldn't matter.

• pauljacob11pauljacob11 Posts: 203

Thanks everyone for your input. Would a gaming pc like Alienware X51 R3 work with Studio?

• Mortar MoppMortar Mopp Posts: 117

I'm in the market for a desktop PC and want to know what are best specs (processor speed, multi core, screen res, memory) to have to run latest version of Studio. TIA for your suggestions.

Strickly speaking, anything you get off the shelf will work with DS. How well it works will depend on your system's guts.  When it comes to working with 3D modeling/animation, more is always better.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2016

Thanks everyone for your input. Would a gaming pc like Alienware X51 R3 work with Studio?

would it work, yes, just as well as any other $690.00 computer, it's an i3 so don't expect too much from the CPU especially if your GPU render and your render caps your RAM and the default goes back to the CPU. The GPU should be okay, don't expect to run like the wind in renders. Ultimatly it would be better than any laptop in that general used price point, but that system will have limits to a better class gaming system or workstation which become a bit more obvious when you try to do something involved with it. As to the "best PC for Daz Studio." this is not it, not even close, but if it fits your budget and you don't want to build something it should be okay.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • pauljacob11pauljacob11 Posts: 203

Thank you Mortar Mopp and StratDragon for your replies. Much appreciated.