Daz Studio Vs PCF

I'm looking at Keiko 6. The Daz Studio version has  a 337K .duf file. I can open and read this in a text editor. In the PCF, the duf is only 34K and is encoded. Are these the same or do I need to keep the two files strictly apart?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    pwiecek said:

I'm looking at Keiko 6. The Daz Studio version has  a 337K .duf file. I can open and read this in a text editor. In the PCF, the duf is only 34K and is encoded. Are these the same or do I need to keep the two files strictly apart?

The file is not 'encoded'...it's compressed.  If you were to uncompress it, then it probably be around 337K. (that 10 to 1 ratio is about 'right' for duf files).  You can use something like 7zio to uncompress it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960
    mjc1016 said:
    pwiecek said:

The file is not 'encoded'...it's compressed.  If you were to uncompress it, then it probably be around 337K. (that 10 to 1 ratio is about 'right' for duf files).  You can use something like 7zio to uncompress it.

or the Batch Convert pane inside DS.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,563

I don't need to decompress, I just need to know the relationship between the two files. I can work with either one.

Thanks

I don't have any CFs installed, so I don't know...so without comparing them, which means decompressing the compressed one, I don't know of any other way of comparing them.  My guess is they aren't the same, because if they were, would there really be any need for separate files...but I really don't know.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960
    mjc1016 said:

I don't have any CFs installed, so I don't know...so without comparing them, which means decompressing the compressed one, I don't know of any other way of comparing them.  My guess is they aren't the same, because if they were, would there really be any need for separate files...but I really don't know.

The .duf should be the same - the PCFs are the original (usually) .duf file, a Python script to send the .duf filename to the DSON Importer, and a Poser library file to run the Python script and possibly to apply native Poser materials to the imported model.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,563

Hey, I'm happy with the info that's been given.

Thanks again.

mjc1016 said:

The .duf should be the same - the PCFs are the original (usually) .duf file, a Python script to send the .duf filename to the DSON Importer, and a Poser library file to run the Python script and possibly to apply native Poser materials to the imported model.

Like I said, I wasn't sure...because until very recently I didn't have any version of Poser installed this time around and since I've installed it, I've used it a grand total of 5 times in the past 3 months.  Not exactly enough times to figure out what works/doesn't since most of those were to get a couple of old characters working.