Is it possible to import my own character to Daz and apply M4/V4, G, G2F/M and G3F/M morphs?

The title pretty much says it all. I would like to import my own character toDaz Studio with his own UV's and apply any morphs, clothes and hair from any generation to it. Is it possible even if I have to buy some add-ons?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

A morph is simply information that moves the vertices of a models mesh.  Morphs are specific to the mesh they where made for and cannot be directly applied to a different mesh.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Wrong way round, in my opinion. What about taking a Genesis/G2/G3 figure into your scene, and adding the other character as a morph? That way you'd get the flexibility of a Genesis figure, plus all the morphs you already have, plus the character shape you want. Anyone know if this might be possible?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Is your character modeled from scratch or a morph of Genesis?

• Wrong way round, in my opinion. What about taking a Genesis/G2/G3 figure into your scene, and adding the other character as a morph? That way you'd get the flexibility of a Genesis figure, plus all the morphs you already have, plus the character shape you want. Anyone know if this might be possible?

How exactly can I do that? Is just that Daz characters are way more beautiful than the character I want to morph. That's why I want to morph it, to get rid of his ugliness and give him the shape of Daz characters. The character that I'm talking about is not really mine. Is from another software and it has very specific UV requirements. That's why I want to morph that same character into a Daz characters shapes. To get rid of his ugliness and preserve the UV's at the same time. I didn't want to mention the software, but if you need the info I can post it in my next post.

Is your character modeled from scratch or a morph of Genesis?

As I said previously in this post, is not really my character, is a character from another software with very specific UV requirements. If you need to know which software just let me know.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You can mention other software here...so yes, it would be helpful to know where the character is coming from and what exactly he is.   Some things are much easier to do than others, so knowing as much about what you are starting with will allow us to be more specific with our answers.

• edited May 2016
    mjc1016 said:

You can mention other software here...so yes, it would be helpful to know where the character is coming from and what exactly he is.   Some things are much easier to do than others, so knowing as much about what you are starting with will allow us to be more specific with our answers.

The software is Adobe Fuse. I want to integrate it in my workflow because eventually I want to import my characters into Unity and make them talk. For that I plan to use Salsa with random eyes which is a Unity asset and has Fuse already integrated in their workflow. I was trying to import only Daz clothes into Fuse at first, but the Fuse character meshes have their feet way too thick compared to Daz's and the cowboy boots that I wanted to import as a test ended up too distorted and got too ugly and the point of using Daz clothes got lost. A temporary solution is to shape the Fuse character meshes into Daz's so the boots fit better and that's why I wanted to import a Fuse character mesh into Daz to morph it at first. I guess that solution is too complicated and maybe is better to shape the Fuse mesh into Daz's shapes. The Fuse characters meshes have very specific UV requirements and basically the best solution is to shape them into something else in a way that the UV layout is not altered. The clothes have more flexible UV requirements so they are easier to import into Fuse, but as I said their feet are too thick and you have to distort the boots shapes in a way that end up too ugly so I decided to edit the Fuse character meshes without altering the UV's as a solution.

There you have a better picture of my situation. Does anybody here know an easy way to shape the Fuse characters meshes into Daz's so the clothes fit better? I'll be using Blender to edit the meshes. Eventually I'll get Maya LT, but that will take me about a month. Thanks in advance!

Post edited by l_riefkohl_ferrer_1923365ed0 on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

Have you looked at Morph3D? That's the sister company of DAZ and has assets that would go into Unity without conversion.

• Have you looked at Morph3D? That's the sister company of DAZ and has assets that would go into Unity without conversion.

Yeah I found them a few months ago, but I'm trying to pogram an old west game and they lack models suitable for that subject. Actually the only two models available for that subject were added because I submitted a support ticket speciffically asking for the addittion of the male one, the other one was added because they needed a female to complete the couple I beleive. I guess that I'll have to send more support tickets asking the addition of more old west related models.

• If you want to model for fuse you'll have to work on the fuse mesh without adding geometry.  You cannot apply daz morphs to fuze models the way you would for daz models right off.  It wouldn't work.  But... ...You can create a set of morphs for your fuse mesh.  It'll take some work.  If you're willing to collaborate, I'm also looking to do some of this work, if you're up for making a product that would possibly be sellable in DAZstore.

Here's the process:

For each desired morph you want to match, apply it to it's own base in full;  these will be processed one at a time, so each will be pplied alone to the target base; afterward, you'll create renders of the front, side, back and angles of frontside, backside, top and bottom.  This is done fastest through a photoshop setup.  You export an OBJ to photoshop and just spin it in 3d, then flatten to 2d, and save a jpg.  Once the photos are done, you can use the Fuse base mesh in blender or hexagon, using tweak\move only (you cannot apply new geometry for fuse).  Using the photoshop jpgs you created, adjust the fuse mesh as close as possible to your photos, then save it, and apply it as a new obj in fuse, clothe it, skin it, send it out for rigging or reformat to unity.

That's for making a model, but to get the morphs, you can use hexagon with the photoshop jpgs, and load the fuse model to daz, then send to hex, open jpgs, and tweak to match, save as a morph target.  So... ...the process is the same for getting your figure to match, but once you get your figure right, send it back to fuse.

Fuse has a molding capability, but I don't know how to use reference photos just yet.  If that worked, you could do the molding right in fuse, but you'd still need to morph a daz model, then render the photos, then mold in fuse.