Can someone tell me why my Daz files wont load properly in my new computer?

I bought a new computer yesterday. I installed Daz 4.9 and all of the items I've bought. I copied a file folder with a daz file and all of the objects and jpegs that are a part of the file onto a portable hard drive by dragging and droping and tried to opem it on the new computer. I get a large list of missing files. The main character is there and is how he should look, but his Garibaldi hair doesn't show up even though the plug in is active and it shows the hair in the scene menu. But all of the other objects are just a large black box. Here is a screen shot of what some of the missing files are. Why is this happening?

Thank you in advance.

daz may 12.JPG
1632 x 1224 - 1M

Comments

• michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117

Sorry dont know why that file showed up sideways. Here it is again.

daz may 12.JPG
    1224 x 1632 - 1M
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,623

It's looking for the files in the "data" folder,  there's a ton of resource files in there,  like models and morphs.   Move your data file over to the new computer.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited May 2016

From the looks of it...either the content folder you copied over is not mapped in Studio or you didn't get everything copied.

Where, exactly did you copy the content folder to?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    mjc1016 said:

From the looks of it...either the content folder you copied over is not mapped in Studio or you didn't get everything copied.

Where, exactly did you copy the content folder to?

FirstBastion I'll look for the data folder on my old computer. But I wonder why does Daz link everything to the original place ( computer ) something was made in and not look to the new data folder that was made with the new install? It's really cumbersome.

mjc1016 by content folder do you mean the folder that I had the scene and all the jpegs filed in? I had it in a folder sitting on my desktop of my old computer. Then I dragged and dropped to copy said folder onto a portable hard drive and then plugged that into my new computer. I did a test this morning by deleting the original folder on my old computer and tried to see if the old computer would have a problem reading the scene from the portable hard drive, and it did have a problem but it allowed me to search for a missing file which I located. I then directly saved the scene onto the portable hard drive from Daz, instead of dragging and copying outside the program and after that the old computer had no problem reading the scene from the portable hard drive. But the new computer still does have a problem. And neither the old computer or the new one will bring in the Garibaldi hair..

Okay I give up. ( frustrated ). On the new computer Daz put the data files into a public folder, on my old computer it put it in a folder under my name. So I recreated a folder using my name on the new computer in the exact same place, then copied the files from my old computer to the portable hard drive and copied those to the new folder on my new computer and Daz is STILL having the same problem when I try to load the scene. How can I get Daz to recognoize where the files are because it's not giving me that option.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, make sure the folder containing the Data folder is listed as a Daz Studio format content folder and a Poser format content folder.

edited May 2016

Fixmypcmike, here is a screen shot of what you mentioned. Everything looks to be there. I've realized the MAIN problem ( I think ). I just did a test and created a Genesis 2 character on the new computer. I morphed it. I made Garibaldi hair. I made a back drop in Hex 2.5 and brought that in and in surfaces put a jpeg on it. I then tried to bring that into the old computer ( when I say old, I mean my main computer ). The exact same thing happenes, the character loads in ok, even the hair this time. But I get the same screen saying missing files, it can't find the back drop or the jpeg, doesn't give me the option to look for it and brings them in as a big black box with rounded corners. Just like when I bring a file from the main computer to the newer one. The reason I bought a new computer was to get it to render animation files while I can still work on projects on my main computer. But if I have to recreate everything what's the point. I know ( I hope ) there must be a way to rectify all this.

Daz may 12th.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 1M
    Post edited by michaelolson on

If the location you're using isn't one of the 2 listed under "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", then click on "Daz Studio Formats" > click the Add button on the left to add the new location.  Do the same with Poser Formats.

The issue you're running into is that the backdrop you made in Hexagon doesn't exist until you create it and bring it into Daz Studio.  When you save the scene, the data files specifying the geometry and UVs of the backdrop are saved to the Data folder.  When you transfer that scene to the other computer, those data files don't exist.  You need to copy those data files as well as the scene file.

If the location you're using isn't one of the 2 listed under "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", then click on "Daz Studio Formats" > click the Add button on the left to add the new location.  Do the same with Poser Formats.

The issue you're running into is that the backdrop you made in Hexagon doesn't exist until you create it and bring it into Daz Studio.  When you save the scene, the data files specifying the geometry and UVs of the backdrop are saved to the Data folder.  When you transfer that scene to the other computer, those data files don't exist.  You need to copy those data files as well as the scene file.

Thanks Fixmypcmike. So that is the problem then, the data file isn't coming in with the save. Is there a way I can specify my own data folder so I can save it in the same folder that I save the scene into? So I don't have to go looking for it in the C drive. And if not I guess I will always have to copy it into the data folder of the second computer?

Still struggling. I copied my data folder from my main computer, brought it to the new one and dragged and dropped to copy on the data folder of the new computer. And still it doesn't work.

Can you post a screen shot of your Content Directory Manager  (Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager

Expand both Poser and Daz Studio formats.

Hi mjc1016. Here are two screen shots. The first is from my camera phone of the new computer. The second is a screen shot of my main computer. Thanks a lot for your help.

screen shots 1.jpg
    1329 x 905 - 796K
    screen shots 2.jpg
    840 x 905 - 261K

I've just been trying tests today. I made a simple character using Genesis 2 male and some morphs in my main computer and, again, tried to bring it into the new computer. Again missing files. Looking at what it said was missing here are two screen shots, one from each computer. This is from the shape menu. The one on the left is the older main one. The one on the left is extensive, and the list continues past what I've shown, whereas that's all there is for the one on the right. What's strange is I've downloaded EVERYTHING I've bought into the new computer. And I haven't downloaded everything I've bought in the main computer. So why is the new computer missing things? Maybe I should just dump the new installed Daz on my new computer and start over again?

teeth files both.jpg
    1568 x 1200 - 952K
  • upDrop313upDrop313 Posts: 6

i am having a similar problem. The files downloaded with dad installer work fine, however, the aftermarket like runtime Dna or renderosity, those files will not load. I have a bunch of weapon props from forender and those do not load either. So if it is not coming out of daz3d it is not loading.

I put this question here cause it seemed related.

thank you

If you transferred everything from My Library on the old computer to My Library on the new one...the only thing I can think of that may be causing a problem is file ownership permissions.  On one the 'owner' is micha on the other it's Michael.

You may want to try this on the transferred folder...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659(v=ws.11).aspx

mjc1016 said:

If you transferred everything from My Library on the old computer to My Library on the new one...the only thing I can think of that may be causing a problem is file ownership permissions.  On one the 'owner' is micha on the other it's Michael.

You may want to try this on the transferred folder...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659(v=ws.11).aspx

Thanks mjc1016. I'll give that a shot if what I'm doing at the moment doesn't work. I've deleted everything and I am in the middle of wiping the new computer and reinstalling windows. I'm going to make it an exact replica of my main computer so micha will be michael etc.

But, even saying that there's still the issue, if I downloaded everything originally from daz why don't certain morph dials show up in the new computer? Unless they are from something I bought then took back and didn't erase it from Daz on my old system but I'm pretty sure I didn't do that.

How and where are you installing them?

I used the Daz install manager. It installed everything in the places of those screen shots. C:/Users/micha   etc. And the program files where it normally does in the C drive.

Can you post these 2 screenshots:
    1) In DS, Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"
    2) In DIM, on Ready to Install tab check the "Show Details" box in the lower right

Okay I've finally figured out what was going on, mostly. In the new computer with Daz I forgot that even though everything was downloaded some morphs still needed to be clicked on and installed. That cleared up a lot of the problems. However,... it's still having a problem with objects and the diffuse maps I've already applied to them. Here is what I mean. In my main computer I've composed a scene with a character, and a couple of backdrops. The backdrops are just simple rectangles I made in Hex and saved as wavefront objects, brought into Daz 4.9 in my main computer, and applied a scenic difuse map to them. Whenever I open this scene in my main computer, there is no problem. I saved everything into one folder, the scene, the wavefront objects, the jpegs for the difuse surfaces. When I bring this folder over to my new computer and try to open the scene, it now opens the character no problem, but it says it can't find the objects or the maps. I've supplied a screen shot.

Fixmypcmike earlier you had said " When you save the scene, the data files specifying the geometry and UVs of the backdrop are saved to the Data folder.  When you transfer that scene to the other computer, those data files don't exist.  You need to copy those data files as well as the scene file."

Where do I find this exactly? I've looked all over the Daz data folder and and find anything related to the scene in question.

May 14 screen shot.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 1M

Actually, it's okay I finally found it. And now everything loads in alright but I still get that screen saying there are missing jpegs etc. YET everything is there and is working. I don't get it. Well at least it's now loading fine. Except the Garibaldi hair for him. I did a test where I made a character with Garibaldi hair on each computer then swapped the files to see if they would come in to each and they do, but they won't with this one file.