Genesis 3 corrupted in Unreal Engine

Has anybody tried to import Genesis 3 into Unreal Engine? Of course you have to go through 3DS to fix the incompatible mesh format, but once that is done, you can not import most animations into Unreal because the import process messes them up horribly. I have done numerous experiments and I am sure it has to do with the skeleton setup of Genesis, the twist bones. Looks like Unreals FBX importer can not handle that and messes up.

Does anybody else have this problem? Let alone a solution? I have posted a bug report in Epic's System but so far no response.

If anybody from Daz reads this, maybe you could urge Epic to look into this? I mean you want to sell lots of Genesis 3 to the indie market I suppose, with the new license model, so I would think it's also in your interest to make sure that it can be imported into Unreal

Comments

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited May 2016

You would ultimately be suggested to use the Gen2 models, until Unreal-Engine updates to handle more complex models. Or, use another animation program that Unreal can handle, with the exported models. (If you output the frame-by-frame keyframes, you can "tween", the movement in most animation editors, no matter what bones/rigs are used. As long as the actual pose output is not altered/disrupted. Creating the final actual animation in another program that Unreal can understand, like 3DS.)

They have a converter to make the Gen2 models look like the Gen3 models, but be the Gen2 at the core. Unfortunately, when you use more advanced rigs, it is normal for the device you are using to update, not for the rest of the world to downgrade to lower standards.

The functionality of Gen3 is from those more advanced rigs. Without them, they are just Gen2/Gen1 models.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • PlayerdarkPlayerdark Posts: 6
    edited May 2016

I'm going through 3DS anyway, even for the animations, then write the animation FBX from 3DS with baked animation and resampling, so the data Unreal reads is not from Daz but in 3DS output format.

I agree that it's an Unreal problem not a Daz problem. I am trying to get Epic to recognize this as a bug, but it would be good if I had some help there, like if Daz would also talk to them and pressure them to fix this ASAP. Like you said, Genesis 3 is the top of the line and there should be no reason for us to use a simpler model because UE has a bug, but all of us with an interest in UE should pressure Epic to fix this problem.

If you want to contribute to my bug report there, here is the link: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/418528/fbx-animation-import-of-genesis-3-figure-is-bugged-1.html

Post edited by Playerdark on