Saving Material Presets

I am having trouble saving material presets for a complex object. I select the object, which has subparts with different materials, and then select save as a material preset and am prompted for a file name, which I give, but then it lists 'none' under properties. I save it. When I apply it to the object all the surfaces are the same. I have read the docs for saving material presets and it says I should be prompted for the different subparts and what surfaces I want to select. I have tried this repeatedly but with the same results every time. I really do not want to have to save a different material preset for every part.

What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

Thank you.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436

I'm not sure what you mean by subparts. Are these separate objects that are parented to another object? If so, I think you need to save a hierarchical material preset. If subparts are bones of a model, a regular material preset should work. We probably need more details about "subparts" to give you the best advice. Perhaps a screenshot of your complex object fully expanded in the Scene pane would help.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

They are parented parts. I will try to save as a hierarchical material preset.

Thank you.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

It took a couple of tries to get it right but I got it. Thank you so much for your help.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436

Great! Thanks for letting me know it worked. I'm happy to help.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

One small gotcha; when you save a hierarchical materials preset, I don't think it allows you to select/deselect individual surfaces, you can only select/deselect the parented objects. All the surfaces in each selected object are included in the preset.