How to load "Water Normal Maps" (or other shaders) into Daz Studio 3D

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the procedure for installing web-based content into Daz 3D.  I've been trying to create the look of water by following the "Water Shader Tutorial for Daz Studio Iray" by Shibashake.  She begins by creating a plane primitive and adding a water shader to it (that part I can manage :-).  To add waves on the surface, she loads a "water normal map" into the "normal map" parameter of the plane.  I searched online for "water normal maps" as she suggests, and found dozens of them.  The challenge is that I haven't a clue how to load one into the surfaces tab of Daz 3D Studio.  I tried dragging one from my desktop into Daz, but that didn't work; I'm sure there's a method I haven't found yet in my readings.  Thanks in advance if anyone knows and wouldn't mind explaining what the procedure is!

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Where it says normal map in the surface list there will be a box with an arrow pointing down. Click on that and you will get pop up. You want to select browse and then navigate to where you have the normal map saved. That will add the normal map. Be sure that the strength is set on 1 (the -/+ slider) to start. You may need to raise or lower that strength depending on the map.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283

Once that is done you can mess with the tiling of it in the geometry portion of the editor for the plane you added it to. DAZ defaults 1 hor and 1 vertical tile you will have have to play with the values to get the look you want. Generally i try to tile it about the dimensions of the plane you use. So if your plane is 15 meters square for example i would use 15 horizontal and 15 vertical tiles and than walk backwards to the desired look.

Daniel