What's the best resolution to render 1080 animation using 3Delight?

I have the dimension preset at Widescreen ( 16:9 ), but what's the best to use for the pixel size, so it's not being over done but also so there is no loss of detail? I tried a render at 2000 pixel width at close to 70 frames but that put the whole file at about 376 MB, which is huge. 1200 pixel width seemed to be ok. I tried one at 800 pixel width but I noticed a loss of quality at this size. Any suggestions for what's optimal?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

1080P means a height of 1,080 pixels.  You could try lesser multples of that value to speed rendering but you then need to stretch it when processing in to video and that could lower the quality.  Or you could just settle on 720P.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,327

I'm not an animator, so I can't cmment on the best resolution for creating an aminamtion in terms of speed/size/etc but I do know this:

The actual pixel size of a 16:9 1080p frame (the "p" stands for "progressive scan" in TV terms) is 1080 (high) by 1920 (wide) - my PC monitor and laptop screen are both this size. Then it would depend on the hardware you are using to display the results - some may be able to upscale from a lower pixel size to display the results successfully, some may not. I have a DVD-player that will upscale .mp4 files that are 720p (i.e. 720 by 1280 pixels) really well to a 45-inch HD TV screen, I also have players that don't.