Content Installation Issues

Posting this because when I try to submit a ticket, I get a message that I am not authorized to access zendesk even though I am signed into to Help.

I just bought a new ASUS laptop and installed Carrara. Now I am trying to get my content installed. I decided to start from scratch as my runtime was getting messy. I have been using the DIM but--I get Install Failed messages when I have it set to install to my custom folders. I have been doing this on my old PC since they introduced the DIM program.

I have also tried installing to the default location & that works. But (yes another "but") often I won't be able to find the model in Carrara after I select Update Folder. The content has defintely been installed; I can locate it in File explorer. This has happened with several models--Genesis Sugical Gowns, Beloved G2 poses, etc. Usually it is buried in extra levels of folders, even though all the content I have tried installing so far is from Daz.

Manual Installs give me no better luck--with Surgical Gowns, I ended up with plenty of files in carrara--but nothing showing up for me to select.

What do I try now? I don't want to go back to my old desktop--even though it did decent work for this amateur--because it is quite old and has become unstable.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

What Operating System?  Is the problem with Carrara-format content or Daz/Poser-format content?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It would be helpful to add some basic info,.

What version of Carrara ?

(version 8.5 now uses the Postgres database,. ) older versions use Valentina.

What version of Daz3D studio,. since the content you mention is all Daz3D (for daz studio)

-I get Install Failed messages when I have it set to install to my custom folders.

User account permissions ?

I can locate it in File explorer. This has happened with several models--Genesis Sugical Gowns, Beloved G2 poses, etc. Usually it is buried in extra levels of folders, even though all the content I have tried installing so far is from Daz.

As I understand it,. Smart Content is added to a "database",. rather than (manually search this folder for new files)  so "update folder" won't work.

If you're using DIM to install the content files,. it should be adding those to the smart content database,. which should, in turn, show your new products in Carrara and Daz Studio.

Is the content showing up in Daz Studio,. (if you have that installed) ?

You should only need to tell Carrara where Daz Studio (or where your Daz / Poser content files library) is located,.. (just the main folder). 

then all your content , and any new content you install should show up in Carrara, in either the Content or Smart Content sections of the browser.

Manual Installs give me no better luck--with Surgical Gowns, I ended up with plenty of files in carrara--but nothing showing up for me to select.

This reads as if you're installing into Carrara,. ?

All your Daz3D content should be installed to your main  Daz3D Library folder. ..or a Poser Runtime folder

ONLY native Carrara products (built specifically for use only in Carrara) should be installed to Carrara's folders.

Manually installing files may mean that DIM won't be able to automagically add that "product" to the Database,. and so it's not displaying in smart content.

If installing the products to the "Default location" (MyDaz3d Library) ..works for you and your products,. ...that sounds like a solution.

Hope it helps :)

• Thanks 3DAGE. Let me try to answer everything.

I am using Carrara 8.5 pro build 19 on a new Windows 10 ASUS laptop. I don't use Daz Studio 4. As I mentioned in OP, all the content I have tried to install is Daz, purchased here. 

I don't install directly to Carrara; I install with DIM to my custom files (C:/users/my content...) which is when I get the install failed! Messages. I have also tried the default (MyDaz3D Library) & get mixed results: some install fine & show up in Carrara where they should; some install only partially or in odd places (eg, only textures, or the folder is on a separate line instead of in the Genesis folder); & some I cannot find in Carrara at all. 

No luck with Daz's Manual Install option. 

Also nothing shows up in Smart Content, I just get a message that it cannot connect to Daz.

For the past few years, I have been using this version of Carrara and installing content via DIM, as well as manually, on my old Win 7 PC with very few issues.

Not sure what you mean about "user account permissions"?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

User acccount control is part of Windows,. it can prevent users from accessing areas of the system they shouldn't,. and that includes installing applications and managing files.

try installing to C:\ Users\ (user name) \MyContent

The error message is probably about Daz CMS  (Content Management Service)  not running.

Check under "Services" in Windows Task Manager to see if that service is running,.

Check in DIM to confirm if you have installed the PostgreSQL CMS database

Carrara needs those running to get the content data,  so if you get those up and running , you should get the content showing up correctly in Carrara.

you can use DIM to try re-importing the Meta data for all your installed products,. ..right click menu

Hope it helps :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Note:  the Content Management Service under Services is the older Valentina CMS, not the PostgreSQL CMS.

• Okay, I don't have CMS installed in DIM and I cannot find how to turn it on or add it. I think I have to have Daz 4 to do that--and I am not dealing with an unfamiliar progam.

I have gotten Genesis Starter Essentials installed and can find it--except Carrara pops up a file requestor to select the runtime because it cannot find the .cr2 file. Too complex for me to browse to them with my level of familiarity with the file structures.

I think part of my problem is that I am not picking the correct option in Carrara's File/Folder Menu to add either of my content locations (default or MyContent). Is it Add Runtime or Add Folder?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

So to start with you installed in order

1. DIM Installs the Postgre DB

2. Carrara latest build should install the postgre DB again When It starts look at the Task Manager you should see about 5-7 instances of the Postgre DB.

3. In Carrara go to the Smart Content Tab, one of the three dropdowns is Products. If this is populated then the Postgre DB is running. Close it down.

4. install the starter Essentials and the Carrara Native Content and the Pro Native Content. using DIM.

5 Start Carrara Again and Go to the Smart Content Tab. It should populate the products dropdown from the Postsql DB and you should not need to tell it were things are.

If you want to look in the file structure way from before smart content then use the content tab. Use add folder to it and add the folder where you have everything downloaded to from DIM such as D:/ DAZ Content.

Dartenback has crea\ted a good collection of tips and tricks located here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual/p1

• All I have in the Smart Content tab is a message that the coonection to CMS can't be established and to make sure Daz Studio is installed and the service running. So I assume it requires DS. While I have the latest Daz, I am NOT going to install or use it at this point. I haven't used smart content ever and I really don't want to bother with it now.

I will check out the tips--thanks.

So to start with you installed in order

1. DIM Installs the Postgre DB

2. Carrara latest build should install the postgre DB again When It starts look at the Task Manager you should see about 5-7 instances of the Postgre DB.

3. In Carrara go to the Smart Content Tab, one of the three dropdowns is Products. If this is populated then the Postgre DB is running. Close it down.

4. install the starter Essentials and the Carrara Native Content and the Pro Native Content. using DIM.

5 Start Carrara Again and Go to the Smart Content Tab. It should populate the products dropdown from the Postsql DB and you should not need to tell it were things are.

If you want to look in the file structure way from before smart content then use the content tab. Use add folder to it and add the folder where you have everything downloaded to from DIM such as D:/ DAZ Content.

Dartenback has crea\ted a good collection of tips and tricks located here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual/p1

• Success! The problem was a simple one. All th econtent I was having problems with were Genesis 1&2 (DSON). I was only familiar with adding new content files/runtimes tha were Poser-type. So I WAS using the wrong options in the File/folder menu. I was selecting Add Runtime, then Poser Content; but for DSON models I should have been selecting Add Folder, then Content. 

I feel so foolish. But it does explain some intermittent problems I was having with adding content on Carrara on my old desktop. 

Thanks for the help!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

good I am glad that it got sorted out for you.

Now the best part playing with the new stuff.

• Yes, that is the best part--once I get everything installed.