13»

Comments

• MechavenMechaven Posts: 76
    edited November 2016

Post edited by Mechaven on
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    j cade said:
    Keep the textures mostly the same...

Different render engines use different shaders which usually require different texture setups. Some render engines utilise shaders with separate layers of skin (epidermal, subdermal, etc) to plug things into. Surely that request is a bit pointless and guaranteed to limit showing what the different render engines can actually do.

• 3D User 7133D User 713 Posts: 13
    edited September 2016
    j cade said:

Some great renders here.

I was wondering if anybody using cycles could help me as to why the transparency on my eyelashes are interfering with the sss?

Im using genesis 3 fyi.

One thing I have noticed with blender's SSS is it sometimes doesn't like overlapping meshes within an object I usually go into edit mode and select the eyes and eyelashes and hit cntrl-p>seperate by selection to make the eyes a seperate object

Other thing to always check is that the transparency color is fully white (I've accidentally set it not quite white more times than I care to recall)

You are a godsend! Thanks!

Post edited by 3D User 713 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    wowie said:

3delight in DAZ Studio. 3 minutes on 4770K. No hair yet, cause I'm still tweaking the hair preset. I haven't gotten around to setting up 3delight on Houdini yet. Not using the scene though and definitely not Genesis 3.

WOW! That's incredible! Do you have a tutorial or a shader that can help transfer Iray skin to 3DL? Your results here are AMAZING! 

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 2017
    wowie said:

Sorel said:

Here's mine :)

Must say that Octane Render looks much better and more realistic, even though it seems to blur out some of the DAZ Studio iRay details.

My late reply is late. The lack of detail is from me not having the HD details for this figure and this was also when normal maps and bump maps couldn't be used on the same node in octane. This is no longer an issue though, as since a few months now, normal and bump maps can work together on a single node.
    Post edited by Sorel on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Sorel said:
    wowie said:

Sorel said:

Must say that Octane Render looks much better and more realistic, even though it seems to blur out some of the DAZ Studio iRay details.

My late reply is late. The lack of detail is from me not having the HD details for this figure and this was also when normal maps and bump maps couldn't be used on the same node in octane. This is no longer an issue though, as since a few months now, normal and bump maps can work together on a single node.

Octane renderer is free now in the Unity Free game making program. Also, I've noticed or maybe it's just me opinion, the iRay renderer in DAZ Studio has improved with 4.10.x (part of that for me on some DAZ 3D products is now having a laptop the can do displacement & directX 11)

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited December 2017

I used to worry that I couldn't get the renders of Genesis figures I wanted outside of Daz.   I tried downloading iRay for Maya, but it isn't the same.  It is missing Daz ubershader (Daz has locked it up) and I wasn't feeling it.  Outside DAZ, iRay is geared toward architectural rendering.  But then came Redshift and my problems were solved.  Redshift relates so well with iRay.  Most of the time, I have to create a couple of extra maps, but now, in most cases, I can get exactly what I want without Daz iRay.  Here is a MeiLin WIP vs iRay

MeiLin W.I.P.  Redshift

MeiLin iRay

MeiLin_redshift_raw.png
    1732 x 1041 - 7M
    MeiLin7_2.jpg
    1336 x 1281 - 734K
    Post edited by drzap on
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    Sorel said:
    wowie said:

Sorel said:

Octane renderer is free now in the Unity Free game making program. Also, I've noticed or maybe it's just me opinion, the iRay renderer in DAZ Studio has improved with 4.10.x (part of that for me on some DAZ 3D products is now having a laptop the can do displacement & directX 11)

yeah being able to use displacement is great, I acrtually use the bump maps as displacement sometimes, I can usually get decent results.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2017
    WOW! That's incredible! Do you have a tutorial or a shader that can help transfer Iray skin to 3DL? Your results here are AMAZING! 

Sorry for not answering this till now. I'm still in the process of making my own PBR shader for 3delight. I'd say it's about 90% done.

If you look at the mustakettu85's 3delight laboratory thread, you can see some of the early test render shots I did.

Here's a recent test render with the shader.

All surface are using my shader. Still messing around with skin and hair settings, so this is not final. Btw, that's translucency AND subsurface scattering on the hair. wink

The shader is inspired by materials used in other renderers, like Renderman 21, Arnold, Mantra and Redshift, though heavily optimized for 3delight in DS. It will even import shader settings from dsDefaultMaterial and all omnifreaker shaders (HSS, UberSurface and UberSurface2). I actually still using 4.7, so I have no idea what iray Uber shader is like. laughLet alone whether or not you can import the settings into mine.

For render geeks, it has;

• Physically based BRDF (Oren Nayar, CookTorrance, Ashikhmin Shirley and GGX ).
    • Transmission with Beer-Lambert based absorption
    • BRDF based, multiple importance sampling
    • Explicit Russian roulette for next event estimation
    • Microfacet energy loss compensation
    • Raytraced subsurface scattering with forward/backward scattering phase function
    • Physically based Fresnel for both dielectric and conductor materials.
    • Unified index of refraction for both reflection and transmission. Controls Fresnel on both.
    • Artist friendly Reflection (named Specular Color) and Edge Tint for metal surfaces which is then used to derive complex IOR

Some other important features ;

• Two specular lobe for the base, one specular lobe for coat
    • In addition to metalness, there's also transmission (for glass and the like). Both accept masks. Allows you to have dielectric, metal and glass in one surface/material.
    • Oren Nayar based translucency with bleed through shadows
    • Two side diffuse - use one texture color on one side, different/separate texture/color on the other
    • Heavily optimized opacity handling that works with both direct lighting and global illumination
    • Supports both roughness and glossiness/smoothness workflow
    • Anisotropy with controllable direction for all specular/reflection lobe. Support masks

Plus some other stuff.

If I can muster the last 10 % of features. laugh

• Physically based thin film interference aka iridescence
    • Edge bevel
    early preview.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 193K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited December 2017
    wowie said:

Sorry for not answering this till now. I'm still in the process of making my own PBR shader for 3delight. I'd say it's about 90% done.

If you look at the mustakettu85's 3delight laboratory thread, you can see some of the early test render shots I did.

Here's a recent test render with the shader.

All surface are using my shader. Still messing around with skin and hair settings, so this is not final. Btw, that's translucency AND subsurface scattering on the hair. wink

The shader is inspired by materials used in other renderers, like Renderman 21, Arnold, Mantra and Redshift, though heavily optimized for 3delight in DS. It will even import shader settings from dsDefaultMaterial and all omnifreaker shaders (HSS, UberSurface and UberSurface2). I actually still using 4.7, so I have no idea what iray Uber shader is like. laughLet alone whether or not you can import the settings into mine.

For render geeks, it has;

• Physically based BRDF (Oren Nayar, CookTorrance, Ashikhmin Shirley and GGX ).
    • Transmission with Beer-Lambert based absorption
    • BRDF based, multiple importance sampling
    • Explicit Russian roulette for next event estimation
    • Microfacet energy loss compensation
    • Raytraced subsurface scattering with forward/backward scattering phase function
    • Physically based Fresnel for both dielectric and conductor materials.
    • Unified index of refraction for both reflection and transmission. Controls Fresnel on both.
    • Artist friendly Reflection (named Specular Color) and Edge Tint for metal surfaces which is then used to derive complex IOR

Some other important features ;

• Two specular lobe for the base, one specular lobe for coat
    • In addition to metalness, there's also transmission (for glass and the like). Both accept masks. Allows you to have dielectric, metal and glass in one surface/material.
    • Oren Nayar based translucency with bleed through shadows
    • Two side diffuse - use one texture color on one side, different/separate texture/color on the other
    • Heavily optimized opacity handling that works with both direct lighting and global illumination
    • Supports both roughness and glossiness/smoothness workflow
    • Anisotropy with controllable direction for all specular/reflection lobe. Support masks

Plus some other stuff.

If I can muster the last 10 % of features. laugh

• Physically based thin film interference aka iridescence
    • Edge bevel

That sounds great! I am very much looking forward to your shader! :D If I can get results like that in 3Delight with your shader, I'll definitely be working to create both Iray AND 3Delight mats for my characters. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on