Daz > Zbrush Teeth problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the teeth when i bring the morph back in from zbrush. I've tried a number of different suggestions i've seen but none of them seem to have worked.

This is what i usually do;

- select genesis 3 base character > parameters > mesh resolution> set subdiv to 0
- file > send to zbrush > draw out > press t > press f > turn on polyframe > autogroups uv > merge similar groups > turn off polyframe
- subdivide to 5 (ish)
- ctrl + shift click on face twice > mask off eyeballs and mouth > ctrl +shift click on canvas
- Do all the altering
- when finished > undo masking > reduce subdiv back to 0 > GoZ > back to daz
- name morph > select Actor > accept > set subdiv back to 1 > increase custom morph to 100% > done

It all looks and works fine and then i noticed that the teeth are really thin and pointy!

i've tried setting the resolution level to Base (which i think you are suppose to do anyway), mouth realism HD & Navel to 0 etc and not much worked.

I think i have managed to narrow it down to Subdividing in zbrush being the problem but i need that to see what i'm doing better.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what i could have done wrong? 
And is there a way of fixing the teeth of a morph i've already done?

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Turn off the "Mouth Realism" and Navel morph before sending to ZBrush.

• JoeDJoeD Posts: 8
    edited May 2016

I've tried that but it only seemed to make a slight difference.

Post edited by JoeD on

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the teeth when i bring the morph back in from zbrush. I've tried a number of different suggestions i've seen but none of them seem to have worked.

This is what i usually do;

- select genesis 3 base character > parameters > mesh resolution> set subdiv to 0
    - file > send to zbrush > draw out > press t > press f > turn on polyframe > autogroups uv > merge similar groups > turn off polyframe
    - subdivide to 5 (ish)
    - ctrl + shift click on face twice > mask off eyeballs and mouth > ctrl +shift click on canvas
    - Do all the altering
    - when finished > undo masking > reduce subdiv back to 0 > GoZ > back to daz
    - name morph > select Actor > accept > set subdiv back to 1 > increase custom morph to 100% > done

It all looks and works fine and then i noticed that the teeth are really thin and pointy!

i've tried setting the resolution level to Base (which i think you are suppose to do anyway), setting mouth realism HD & Navel to 0 etc and not much worked.

I think i have managed to narrow it down to Subdividing in zbrush being the problem but i need that to see what i'm doing better.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what i could have done wrong? 
    And is there a way of fixing the teeth of a morph i've already done?

Thanks for any help! :)

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

You might try to deselect Smt in the Geometry tool options prior to subdividing. The subdivisions will then only be applied where you are working. I have found that this often avoids issues rrelated to subdivision and reconverting back to normal resolution. Good luck.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,064

The main issue is probably that when you divide with smoothing in ZBrush even the base resolution is then changed - the teeth and fingers are particularly affected. You will also be seeing a contribution from the Mouth realism (and navel) morphs which are set on the Genesis 3 figures when they load. What I would suggest trying is stopping the above steps just before the masking, then skipping down to resetting the divisions to 0 and sending back to DS. Call that "ZBrush distortions" or something like that. Now, zero everything, then set each of your bad morphs to 1 and export as OBJ. Finally zero everything, delete the bad morphs (including the assets if you'd saved them), set ZBrush distortions to 1 and import each of the bad morphs with Morph Loader Pro enabling Reverse Deformations - that should leave only the intentional changes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,064

Merged threads - please don't post the same issue in two threads as it leads to unnecessary duplication of effort.

Sorry about that, i didn't know what thread would be best. Thanks for the suggestions i'll give them a try now!

You might try to deselect Smt in the Geometry tool options prior to subdividing. The subdivisions will then only be applied where you are working. I have found that this often avoids issues rrelated to subdivision and reconverting back to normal resolution. Good luck.

Thanks for the help, that seemed to help the teeth a bit when i brought it back into daz but it wasn't smooth enough in zbrush for me to work on properly.

The main issue is probably that when you divide with smoothing in ZBrush even the base resolution is then changed - the teeth and fingers are particularly affected. You will also be seeing a contribution from the Mouth realism (and navel) morphs which are set on the Genesis 3 figures when they load. What I would suggest trying is stopping the above steps just before the masking, then skipping down to resetting the divisions to 0 and sending back to DS. Call that "ZBrush distortions" or something like that. Now, zero everything, then set each of your bad morphs to 1 and export as OBJ. Finally zero everything, delete the bad morphs (including the assets if you'd saved them), set ZBrush distortions to 1 and import each of the bad morphs with Morph Loader Pro enabling Reverse Deformations - that should leave only the intentional changes.

Thanks again for the help but i'm having a little trouble following. ( I'm fairly new to zbrush to!)  I don't think i can mask the eyeballs and mouth off without doing the steps beforehand and im not sure which steps i should be doing in zbrush and which in daz?

• Do everything prior to the masking step, skip the masking and sculpting, reset the mesh divisions, send to DS as a moprh. You will then have a morph that does only one thing - applies the distortions generated by the ZBrush smoothing. Set that morph to on after sending the mesh to ZBrush but before loading it back as a morph and use the Reverse Deformations option in DS to subtract the distortions from the new morph. You may need to enable the advanced options for GoZ in DS, in Edit>Preferences>Interface, to do that.

Thanks for your help Richard Haseltine, ive just tried it and it seems to have worked! smileyyes