OT - Aaaargh - my laptop is overheating

I'm in backup mode.  My not-very-old-but-no-longer-on-warranty laptop is sending all the signals of imminent death. I really hate re-installing everything. 

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I hate laptops!

when I moved house I had a cleanup and gave two away and threw another 3 into the rubbish bin!

I now have none cool

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I was gonna say, I had my lapbottom overheat, but it was just hemorrhoids. wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

does it overheat on boot up or just when you are doing a download? 

• Maybe just a broken fan ? or a giant hord of dust rats in there maybe ?

Laptops are designed to overheat, they take in air at the worst possible place, have silly cooling that try to avoid using the fan and a worthless fan because it's not designed to cool, it's designed to be silent.

If you are using windows install Speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) and have a look at what it is that is overheating.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Sad said:

does it overheat on boot up or just when you are doing a download? 

Don't you mean, booty up? ;-P

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I was having overheating problems on my laptop too and just cleaning the fans more often helped some.  Try a laptop cooling pad - just search "laptop cooling pad" on Amazon or NewEgg.  I just got one by a company called Kootek and am loving it.  Basically it is just a set of fans that sit under your laptop, raise it up a little bit and blow air at the bottom.  The one I got is pretty quiet and even at the low setting works wonders when my machine is chugging along on a long render.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  My initial post, "aaaargh", has turned out to be correct.  Various diagnostics all agree that my laptop will soon die a painful death unless I pay an amount that would go a long way towards a replacement.  The overheating during idle time was not the only problem.  Am considering my options - and the timing.  BTW, that speedfan link was fantastic - just not the only problem.  I highly recommend that link for anyone that has a similar problem.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I used to use SpeedFan even if I didn't have problems. I like keeping my machine cool.

Sorry to hear about your woes, diomede. Sucks.