Import

I have a Poser file I've imported into Daz 4.9. Its rigged works fine in Poser. But when I import it into daz 4.9. and open a door the meterial or the mesh will stretch.

Is there a way to set the meterial or mesh to collide with the body and the doors open correctly instead of the door mesh and body mesh looking like they're stretching

with one another.

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,239

This is a building correct? It sounds like the model has funky weight mapping that has not translated well to daz. For some reason the bone that the door is rigged to has weight effecting the surrounding area. Could you give a little more information on what the model is and where its from? Or a screen shot of what is actually going on?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Instead of weight mapping, it sounds like the usual mesh welding problem — parts of the door mesh and the door frame mesh are in exactly the same places, so D|S assumes they're meant to be all one piece. When you open the door, the door and frame parts move properly, but extra polygons are created between them, causing the "stretching out" appearance. Poser doesn't get confused by this, but D|S sometimes does.

What exactly do you mean by "a Poser file"? There shouldn't just be one file, Poser items should be installed into your runtime as separate Geometry, Figure (or Prop) and Texture files. Scene files are also a possibility, but they can be dealt with as well. Does the item at least come separated into a proper Geometry file? That can be fixed, although you do need a modelling program like Hexagon.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Does the item at least come separated into a proper Geometry file? That can be fixed, although you do need a modelling program like Hexagon.

There is a chance that the item has internal geometry...that can be fixed, too, but it's more complicated.

It would be nice to know what item this is...if it is a freebie, post a link; if it is a paid item post the name and what store it's from.

• The model is an F18 fighter jet made by Digimation and sold at content paradise. It can also be found at Rendeosity. It's 

packed in a runtime folder with/ obj and pz2 with materials. I can load either the obj and pz2. The model will load looking 

great just having trouble with the canopy opening correctly. Its like stretching the mesh. And I want to know how to fix it.

LIke i said. It works great in Poser. 

• Instead of weight mapping, it sounds like the usual mesh welding problem — parts of the door mesh and the door frame mesh are in exactly the same places, so D|S assumes they're meant to be all one piece. When you open the door, the door and frame parts move properly, but extra polygons are created between them, causing the "stretching out" appearance. Poser doesn't get confused by this, but D|S sometimes does.

No, the OBJ file has the parts welded - DS doesn't weld things. The issue is that on import Poser unwelds everything, then rewelds only the parts it is told to; DS doesn't unweld either so the parts are still joined. Try exporting as OBJ from Poser with the weld options off, then use that OBJ to replace the one from the original zip.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,239

The model is an F18 fighter jet made by Digimation and sold at content paradise. It can also be found at Rendeosity. It's 

packed in a runtime folder with/ obj and pz2 with materials. I can load either the obj and pz2. The model will load looking 

great just having trouble with the canopy opening correctly. Its like stretching the mesh. And I want to know how to fix it.

LIke i said. It works great in Poser. 

As mentioned above, it could very well be vert deformation. Is the canopy rigged to a bone or is the whole mesh split into grouped objects? If you have a 3d modeller it might be worth splitting the object up in a modeller and reimporting as seperate pieces. 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

The issue is that on import Poser unwelds everything, then rewelds only the parts it is told to

<headdesk>

All these years using first Poser then D|S, and I never knew that. Thanks, Richard.