Advanced Dynamic Clothing Control doesn't work with DS 4.8

I bought the Advanced Control a few weeks ago. Finally found the time to play with it. 

After DIM installed the latest version DCC for DS 4.9, to my DS4.8, all the extra panel tabs didn't show up.

Turned out 'plugin fails to load' because "it's for a later version". 

Is there a way I could make this DCC version work with my 'overall-stable-and-happy' DS4.8 Pro?

Is there a DCC for 4.8 lying around somewhere which I somehow missed?

Or could DS4.9 run alongside DS4.8 with no issue?

Thanks for any pointers...

Comments

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

If you are worried about making the leap to 4.9 you could get in on the public beta and run the public beta of 4.9 side-by-side with 4.8.

Data is migrated from the 4.8 database to the 4.9 database, but not in reverse. So if you decide to categorize your content like a super hero in 4.9 those things won't show up in the 4.8 database. Also, any content installed via Daz Connect won't show up in 4.8, but as long as you stick to DIM/manual installs you should be just fine.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Data is migrated from the 4.8 database to the 4.9 database, but not in reverse. So if you decide to categorize your content like a super hero in 4.9 those things won't show up in the 4.8 database. Also, any content installed via Daz Connect won't show up in 4.8, but as long as you stick to DIM/manual installs you should be just fine.

Thanks for the quick response Rawb. Don't plan to play hero and categorize content at this stage so that's fine.

Sounds like 4.9 is not as scary as I thought.

Is there any valentina prosgres whatnot stuff I still need to know before jumping on the 4.9 train?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If you migrated from Valentina to Postgre for 4.8 (or earlier), then no...there's need to worry about Valentina any longer.

I think I did migrate.... There must be signs... somewhere... lol, thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If you are on Windows, with Studio runnng there should be several instances of Postgre running if look in Task Manager.

Uh oh, no postgre in task manager...

Wait, saw something related in DIM

DIM has 2 instances of PostgreSQL CMS installed

one of which is 'from Valentina CMS Conversion' (though the installed size is suspiciously 0kb)

I think I'm safe :)

• Mythmaker said:

DIM has 2 instances of PostgreSQL CMS installed

one of which is 'from Valentina CMS Conversion' (though the installed size is suspiciously 0kb)

I think I'm safe :)

The from Valentina one didn't isntall anything - as it "installed" it created a PostgreSQL database from the valentina database (leaving the valentina database untocuhed). However, if you are not seeing PostgreSQL in the Processes tab of Task Manager when DS or DIM are running (not in the application list, it's the processes tab next to it) then soemthing may not be connecting.

edited June 2016
    Mythmaker said:
    The from Valentina one didn't isntall anything - as it "installed" it created a PostgreSQL database from the valentina database (leaving the valentina database untocuhed). However, if you are not seeing PostgreSQL in the Processes tab of Task Manager when DS or DIM are running (not in the application list, it's the processes tab next to it) then soemthing may not be connecting.

DIM tricked me into installing latest 4.9!

DIM showed installed 4.8 as 4.9, so I thought, huh, since when I installed 4.9, hm must be a glitch, so I uninstalled that "glitch"!

Turns out it was 4.8 that I uninstalled! Can you imagine how freaked out and purple I was (aaaggghh my precious stable and happy 4.8 now gone!!)

So I ran around finally installed 4.9. To my relief, 4.9 launched smoothly and even have my familiar custom workspace layout and sexy icons intact!

Even better - my OP dilemma: dynamic clothing control, now works! Just enter the serial and voila!

Phhheeewwwww + yeeepeeeee laugh

Anywayz, Richard you're right PostgreSQL is not "connecting" because I got this now every time I launch DS, now 4.9....

I still don't know what is the implication of that...

My content libraries all loaded fine, including the recent addition of Poser into my Carrara + Daz universe...

I stopped bothering with Categories and metadata-ing 1.5 versions ago

Should I 'connect' PostgreSQL and why? Thanks...

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • What security software are you using?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Mythmaker said:
    Mythmaker said:

DIM showed installed 4.8 as 4.9, so I thought, huh, since when I installed 4.9, hm must be a glitch, so I uninstalled that "glitch"!

Turns out it was 4.8 that I uninstalled! Can you imagine how freaked out and purple I was (aaaggghh my precious stable and happy 4.8 now gone!!)

So I ran around finally installed 4.9. To my relief, 4.9 launched smoothly and even have my familiar custom workspace layout and sexy icons intact!

Even better - my OP dilemma: dynamic clothing control, now works! Just enter the serial and voila!

Anywayz, Richard you're right PostgreSQL is not "connecting" because I got this now every time I launch DS, now 4.9....

My content libraries all loaded fine, including the recent addition of Poser into my Carrara + Daz universe...

I get that all the time because I removed the various SQL types from my computer. Not interested in Connect, well actually, I would be if it didn't have a DRM component.

It is fine to use without it, and you can ignore that.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    nicstt said:
    Mythmaker said:
    Mythmaker said:

I get that all the time because I removed the various SQL types from my computer. Not interested in Connect, well actually, I would be if it didn't have a DRM component.

For the record: "It is fine" means you can't use Smart Content, Daz Connect, or a number of features that depend on the database being there and working. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you were going this whole time without Valentina or Postgres running it should be about the same, it's just than 4.9 now warns you that something is wrong instead of just silently disabling a bunch of features for you.

@Richard - I run Kaspersky

@nicstt - thx for the heads up!

@Rawb - got that! I don't use Smart Content and still wrapping my head around the concept of Daz Connect (or Valentina/Postgres for the matter!) 

Still a bit traumatized from losing my stable happy 4.8.

This is the first time I've update the next version without a previous version! Very scary!

But good thing is so far 4.9 is running nice, and notable difference in fbx i/o so that's good fingers crossed...

Thanks again for the help!

• ChrisStoneChrisStone Posts: 11

I had the exact same issue when I updated from 4.7 to 4.8, then again from 4.8 to 4.9. My quick and dirty solution was to use the install manager to uninstall the dynamic clothing package and reinstall it. On both occasions it worked perfectly again after the re-install. Other than being a nuisance to have to do that (and remember that it needs to be done) at least it works.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    nicstt said:
    Mythmaker said:
    Mythmaker said:

For the record: "It is fine" means you can't use Smart Content, Daz Connect, or a number of features that depend on the database being there and working. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you were going this whole time without Valentina or Postgres running it should be about the same, it's just than 4.9 now warns you that something is wrong instead of just silently disabling a bunch of features for you.

Yup, which is actually better than fine, but it's about choice. :)