question about lights for a daz_tech

IvyIvy Posts: 7,156

How can I add more lights to a scene than Daz Studio will allow?

I am working on a street racing animations which needs about 12  to 16 light sources mostly for Light poles and head & tail lights on the street race cars I am using. but  Daz Studio will only allow for 8 lights max in 3DL  and I need at least 2 distant light sources for  my scene plus the ue2 setting for 3dl as well. in a few shorts scene a did some custom painting & re-textureing to stuff to add a base light shadows to give some effect  of extra lights,... But is there away I can actually use more lights than daz allows for max sources? I did end up render some of the shorter scenes in Iray for the emissive light sources in my building props which took 4 times longer to render. so I rather want to try to stay with 3DL

I am posting 2 test shots of a example scene I am working on,  as you can see I could use a heck of more lights sources for the street lamps am I am already using the max allowed. in this scene.

Any work around for this? other than painting in the light in post work?

Test 5.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 136K
test.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 139K
Post edited by Ivy on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

OpenGL has a max of 8 light soiurces, 3Delight does not.

• If you want to preview lights adjust the Render Priority setting to make sure the seven (headlamp accounts for one) you want are shown.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited June 2016

OpenGL has a max of 8 light soiurces, 3Delight does not.

doesn't 3dl equal 3delight?

when I used 8 linerpoints of lights,  one for each of the lamp-poles. and 2 distant lights sources in  ue2 dome setting.  2 linerpoints of the lights won't work out of the 8 in 3delight  so I asumed. 3delight had a max of 8 lights. 

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited June 2016

If you want to preview lights adjust the Render Priority setting to make sure the seven (headlamp accounts for one) you want are shown.

will this allow me to still use my 2 distant light sources with ue2 . I am willing to try anything. to fill those extra street lamps.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

You can use as many lights as your system can handle.  However, in the viewport (which uses OpenGL) only 8 can be shown.  They will all render fine in 3Delight.

edited June 2016

Thank you guys for the response. I guess I don't understand the difference between my 3delight settings, view port  & and what your trying to explain to me.  because when I render a test render in Daz Studio  with 10 light sources using the 3delight settings under the render settings tab,  only 8 out of the 10 lights are working.for me so how do I know if i have it set in open gl? 

I posted a screen capture of my render settings. maybe someone can help explain the difference between the 3delight settings I am using and what you think I may have wrong for settings. because I would love to have unlimited light use to create lights for the light poles because I have 20 of them  that I should have some kind of light..  but I can only seem to get  8 out of my 10 lights to work

I have a i7. 333 ghz 6 x 2 core processor and 32 gigs of ram  So thought my system should have handle at least 10 lights. right?

Capture.JPG
    1919 x 1183 - 317K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited June 2016

this is a capture of my linear points of lights applied to my light ploles & settings .. I have 4 more linear points of light for my headlights on 2 of the cars  only 6 of them work when i have my distant light sources turned on

Capture.JPG
    1888 x 1129 - 304K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited June 2016

In the previews, you are limited to only 8 lights...total.

Here is a render...how many lights are casting?

lights.png
    512 x 640 - 250K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited June 2016

It looks like you have  9 lights  How did you do that?  I knew there was a way of adding more lights

But I'm using 10  linear points of lights on my light poles props which 2 of them won't show up in my renders,  I'm really confused,  lol 

what is preview?  I thought just making a  test renders of different keyframes along the timeline I'm working on using open render in new window.  do I need to render direct to file instead?

c04c837200b03d2f9a06a05af13e74.png
    512 x 640 - 212K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Actually, there are 10...9 linear points and 1 distant (the distant is set to only about 5% intensity...much higher and it starts washing out other lights.

Anything that is showing a camera, light 'sphere' and stuff like that is just the viewport preview.

thanks for explaining it to me Mjc. I'll work with this info a bit and see if I can get a grasp on it.   Lighting and lighting techniques are my Achilles heel when trying to apply it to animation  and I'm still trying to learn all the little tricks to it.

Here's a quick demonstration showing a render using 8 spots, 3 point and 1 distant light, using OpenGL as render engine and 3Delight

Lights_Base_OpenGL.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 154K
    Lights_3DL.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 302K
    Lights.jpg
    1192 x 419 - 73K

@ SimonJM

wow thats great info.. thank you very much .. would it be better to use spotlights instead of linear points of light for lamp poles?

It would depend on what looks best!  Sometimes a spot, angled downward, and with spread angle increased does a good job of acting like a lamp post style light.  I only added 8 spots as that icon happened to be benaeth my mouse pointer first :)

Hey guys I just want to say thank you for the help . I rendered that animated scene tonight with 14 lights . 10 linear points of lights  2 spots lights and 2 distant lights  and 1 UE2 sphere  and the all lights worked and showed in place where i needed them too.  and the scene came out better than I expected so I really appreciate the help.   Y'all taught me something new.   :)

Glad it worked for you :)

SimonJM said:

Glad it worked for you :)

yea it worked out great. how was it I did not know this information before..lol   thanks for all your helps I really apprecaited it

I really apprecaite the help I wanted to post these images with you guys help I figured it out.  I have 15 lights, 4 of them set to raytrace in this scene I'm building to end my animation. including the police helicopter.   light. 15 lights!  .. I can't believe it..lol

Capture.JPG
    1919 x 1198 - 260K
    test scene 133.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 144K

That may take a while to render the full animation, but it does look pretty nice!  I presume (hope?) you are rendering as an image series so you can pause and resume and not have to do it all in one sitting.

edited June 2016

the test render took 1 min  38 seconds to render 1 keyframe at 1080p and i have 240 keyframes.  I render in avi so I figure it should be around 3 and 1/2 hours for this one scene to complete. I have 5 of them in the story board for this ending portion of my animation.  so like you said I'm gonna be rendering a while.but that is okay  because it allows me to do another things around the house while the scene is rendering..lol  and really long scenes I usually let run when I'm sleeping. at night.    I also keep the images in the temp render folder where there are PNGS created for the avi , and i save them as a back up in case i need to go back and redo something later on , so I have both avi and each png for each keyframe as back up.  I learned that one a long time ago ..lol

Post edited by Ivy on