Trying to set up a new laptop with an external hard drive and having a terrible time

I just bought a new laptop recently, partly because my computer was four years old and I wanted something that could do renders a lot faster. My new laptop only has about 250gs, so I bought a Seagate external hard drive in order to store all my old files (including my DAZ 3D ones). I downloaded everything onto the hard drive, then I hooked the external hard drive to the laptop and downloaded the Seagate software.

But to my dismay there are no options to view my files on the hard drive. I don't want to download them to the laptop because I don't have enough space for everything. I want to be able to open up files on the hard drive, but there is no way to do this that I can tell. Have I bought the wrong kind of external hard drive? Please help...

Comments

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555

I have a Seagate External drive on a desk top  so it should work for you.

I just plugged it into one of the USB ports , pointed DIM to install Daz content to the Seagate which in my case is F: 

You should be able to view your files by going to "This PC" then double clicking on Seagate Expansion - It should then list all the folders that you have on it (see screenshot)

I have had it a while but I don't remember doing anything special - it was more than a year ago that I set this up so I might have forgotten something/

Seagarte.PNG
    331 x 147 - 9K
    seagate2.PNG
    877 x 497 - 55K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

You shouldn't need any additional software to see the hard drive. What operating system?

• galactica1981galactica1981 Posts: 1,251
    Tottallou said:

I have a Seagate External drive on a desk top  so it should work for you.

I just plugged it into one of the USB ports , pointed DIM to install Daz content to the Seagate which in my case is F: 

You should be able to view your files by going to "This PC" then double clicking on Seagate Expansion - It should then list all the folders that you have on it (see screenshot)

I have had it a while but I don't remember doing anything special - it was more than a year ago that I set this up so I might have forgotten something/

It works! Thanks! I wish it came with instructions that would tell you these things!

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited June 2016

It works! Thanks! I wish it came with instructions that would tell you these things!

Glad you got it working - I noticed that on mine if you right click & then click properties there is something there called  Ready Boost - This claims to speed up your system  if enabled, it doesn't allow me to enable mine as it says it would be unlikely to speed things up so I have no idea if it works but its easy to try & perhaps it would do something for you as you said in your first post that space is limited :)

Louise

ReadyBoot.PNG
    579 x 546 - 38K
    Post edited by Tottallou on