Material zone has normal name and another

I have a material zone on an item that is called Trim; another one is called Trim_NONE.

Any idea how this can happen?

Comments

• An item you modelled yourself? Some modellers can allow names internally that are invalid in and OBJ file, and add extra bits to the name on export. Or they may not add extras and DS may then have to make sense of an apaprently invalid name. Not sure how either of those could produce what you are seeing but it wold be my first suspicion.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Thanks but don't think that; I've assinged the geometry to the material zone, but after export, some of the geoetry is assigned to the _NONE zone, despite confirming it is in the one it should be.

And yes, self-modelled.

• What dioes the material list look like in the modeller? Which modeller was it? If you open the OBJ file in a text editor and search for usemtl what do the lines you find show?

TY again Richard,

See image; I make sure the verts are assigned to the correct zone, yet when imported (for some reason) the extra zone is created. Never seen it before.

I fixed it by exporting the mesh out of Daz, importing into blender and reassigning the geometry in the NONE zone; would love to know the reason. :)

material zones.jpg
    673 x 552 - 58K
  • Did searching the OBJ for usemtl turn up any naming oddities?

Did searching the OBJ for usemtl turn up any naming oddities?

Not theones I could check, but I had deleted a couple, so is always possible; will remember (I hope) to check if it happens again.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Sometimes (always) this happens in blender if you have images already assigned to certain uvs.  If you go to uv view, are there any images assigned to any of the material groups?  If so, you need to x them before you export.  Don't know why it happens, but it does.

wwes said:

Sometimes (always) this happens in blender if you have images already assigned to certain uvs.  If you go to uv view, are there any images assigned to any of the material groups?  If so, you need to x them before you export.  Don't know why it happens, but it does.

ahh ty.