Same Problem with a Few Models

DarkSide ProjectsDarkSide Projects Posts: 25
edited June 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hello all :P

This may be a very beginner question but i seem to have an issue with a few models i am trying to make, and am not to sure what the problem could be. 

As an example, after using Dynamic Extrude to make the arms and back of the chair, and then smoothing the edges , it seems like something is going wrong and the edges are being displayed. If i keep the edges creased everything looks fine when rendered, but the chair does not have that soft look i am going for. After quite a hectic work schedule i am finnaly able to make 3D models again, so starting fresh and having forgotten what i learnt awhile ago, i am really not sure what i could be doing wrong or if there is simply something i am overlooking. 

I have included a screnshot if you would like to have a look, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Chair Shot.png
1366 x 768 - 249K
Char Shot 2.png
1366 x 768 - 205K
Post edited by DarkSide Projects on

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Q: Do you have the "link polygons" option,. enabled when you're dynamic extruding ?

if not,. then you're extruding separate polygons.

The back and arms look like they've been selected and extruded together,. but are unconnected.

Try switching "Smooth" on ,. which will add subdivision smoothing to the model, and should help highlight any issues in the base geometry.

Creased edges appear in Blue,.  normally edges are not creased until you specify that the selected edges should be creased,

when you add sub-division smoothing to the model, you'll often realise that you need to add more geometry (edges/polygons) to refine the smoothed shape.

Hope it helps

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If you add some fillets along those edges, I think it'll help. Another thing to do is add a level of subdivision smoothing (the fillets will help retain better definition for the edges).

In true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I did earlier: (British kids TV reference!)

This started out as a simple cube with three segments. smoothed, filleted, subdivided, hacked about . . . and I had to put creases back in! BTW, I just made one cushion and duplicated it (after UV mapping it first)

The cushions had fillets on the edges before subdividing, while the back rest didn't - you can see how it's much rounder.

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 14.09.37.png
    1600 x 862 - 1M
    alcove1.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 368K
  • Wow, thanks guys for the help.

This has made a HUGE difference already! laugh

The only way to learn is by asking and such a great community to give of their time to offer assistance!

Thanks again.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yes! I've learned SO much by asking in here... I LOVE this place!

FYI, if you can, this particular set of Carrara Modeling Tutorials has some incredibly useful techniques about excatly what you're talking about. He goes between SubD smoothing and turning it off - working with the geometry for the best results. Mike is an excellent and very practical modeler and is also a great teacher!