HMS Endeavour

2»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Nice tub yes

Ready fo a re-enactment of Cook's Hawaiian aloha  devil

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Yes that plan shape looks too squat , ? How about a render with 150 mill lens? 

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Stezza,

I am sorry to see you struggle so much.  I have been involved in maritime art and ship design so long that I assume too much. I have the same problem learning some of the techniques in Carrara.

First I think it is great that you are sticking with your project when it must seem hopeless and very baffling - your a tough cookie. Help is on the way..don't give up.

First you are using the longitudinal sectionals to build the hull....Actually these are used mainly to check the accuracy and to display the sweetness of the hull design..meaning how well it might move through the water with the least resistence.  To build a digital model is very similar to building a real ship.... That is you lay the keel and then stand up the frames ... The frames are the cross sections of the hull, as if you were slicing a banana.  

1.I have simplified the cross sections and included the necessary bow and stern sections which you will need to compleat the ends of the vessel.  The ship plans of the Endeavour do not show these as in practice the  natural bending of the wood planking would give you this shape. Not so in the digital world.

Image 1 & 2 shows the modified ship lines which will be brought into the vertex model room and used in the global table on left  Use them in the Front view and in the left view.

2. Use the Polyline tool and follow the shape of section 5.

3. Duplicate this section (This is important so that the mesh or vertex lines follow the shape of the hull.

4. Take the original polyline frame and move it up to the cross ections shown on the original lines.  Make sure you line it up to number I have placed on the original cross sections.

5. Switch to the left view in the vertex room..Now move the frame horizontally till it sits on top of the #5 frame on the profile of the hull.

Not sure how many images I can load so I will continue in the next post... I hope you can follow along...

Starboardtack

Endeavour ship lines.jpg
    1122 x 720 - 103K
    Global window.png
    709 x 777 - 121K
    Polyline tool.png
    1004 x 814 - 539K
    Duplicate.png
    561 x 416 - 22K
    Align.png
    716 x 739 - 172K
    Sit on top.png
    636 x 318 - 325K

Onwards.

1. Return to the duplicated section and now move the points till it matches up to the #4 frame.  When it looks  good duplicate it and move the copy to  #3 frame...

2. Move the #4 frame up to the cross section image (#4 step in the previous post.)

3. Change to the left view and move the frame horizontal till it sits on top of #4 frame on the profile view.

4. Keep repeating this process ..duplicating the polyline section..adjusting to the next frame and then moving it up to the Cross section view.

5. Once you have a number of these frames correctly positioned you can take a peek at it in the Directors view. They should be alighned as shown.

6. You can take a peek at how it looks after lofting... After taking a peek make sure you go back a step so you can continue modeling.

7. Continue the process...until all the frames are located ...I will leave this for you to discover how sweet it will turn out.

8. Once you have the hull half completed you can duplicate with mirrow to get the hull which will now be symetrical...Ooops..I should have mentioned this in the beginning...Building only half the hull is a good practice.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 10.18.31 AM.png
    863 x 858 - 63K
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 11.34.53 AM.png
    1116 x 789 - 199K

Once you have the hull sections/ frames all assembled, then you will need to make the keel.  To do this go to the vertex modeler. Load the ship lines and use the polyline tool to outline the keel, stem and ruddeer post (also the rudder itself if you do not plan on close ups where it will be turned).

2.Next duplicate the polyline image. 

3. go to the left view ( load the same ship lines image ) and move the sections to the sectional view as shown. Move the polylines until they match the thickness of the keel as shown.

4. Select one side of the keel and go to the model heading at the top and choose fill polygon. Do the same to the other side of the keel. 

5. Choose all and go to model pull down and choose crease edges.

6. You are now ready to move the keel to the center of the two hull halfs

Hopefully by now you are inspired by rotating the hull around and admiring your work as to create the texture maps to match the hull and to make the decks and cap rails...  There is enough fun here to keep you busy for some time.....Enjoy

Starboardtack

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 11.47.15 AM.png
    1106 x 507 - 662K
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 11.49.47 AM.png
    429 x 602 - 164K
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 11.51.32 AM.png
    427 x 593 - 169K
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 11.52.49 AM.png
    558 x 771 - 215K
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.10.30 PM.png
    943 x 551 - 52K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

ahoy!

Thanks msteaka... this will help.. I tried your method with earlier hulls ( last weekend ) and failed miserably as I couldn't work it out... your explanation will get me trying it again..

I made 5 hulls over the weekend just gone..... tweaking each one of them ... the keel is the easiest part of all lol

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I've settled on a hull ( I think it is the twenty seventh one! ) for now

I think I'll use it as a distant prop for my Carrara challenge... no one will ever notice devil

endeavour WiP1.jpg
    829 x 623 - 45K