Daz Studio 4.9 / GoZ Problem

Hi.

I recently uninstalled zBrush 4r6 because I upgraded to 4r7. Since then Daz Studio says zBrush is not installed when I attempt to send a model from the viewport to zBrush using GoZ. I get the popup message Unable to connect with Pixologic zBrush, check the installation.

I have checked my DIM application path settings. I have it set to C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7. There are two executables in that folder and I am not sure if that is confusing Daz Studio. One executable is zBrush.exe and the other zBrush64.exe.

I have all the recent Daz Studio updates on version 4.9. I have unstalled GoZ and reinstalled it but it does not fix the issue.

I use Windows 10.

Anyone have advice or solutions, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Comments

• JCThomasJCThomas Posts: 254

I had a similar problem. I can't recall exacxtly how I fixed it, but it was a huge pain in the neck. I think I uninstalled everything - DS 4.9, GoZ for DS, and ZBrush 4R7 - and then reinstalled everything, with GoZ last.

• rf2016rf2016 Posts: 186

Same problem here. No solution yet.

• What is the full error? Check the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log) to see if that has more information.

• Seems this plugin made for a previous version of Daz, won't run with a newer one. And even if Zbrush gets it's own Goz plugin to communicate qith Zbrush, as the Daz plug don't run (within daz studio), nothing happens.

And this is just because it's provided for free, so both won't do the job (Daz and Pixologic), updating their free plugin, so we can use them with up to date software.

It just lets a way to communicate between them, it's to export your 3D models from daz as obj files, and import them within zbrush.

I also updated my version of daz, from 4.8 to the last one 4.9.1.30, and now despite reinstalling all the plugs provided, nothing.

Zbrush says file succesfully written on disk, but nowhere to be find, because it's saved as Zbrush files, with it's own proprietary format (ZPR, zbrush project).

It just lets one possibility, having 2 versions of daz studio, with at least the 4.5, as the goz plugin is broken.crying

• Seems this plugin made for a previous version of Daz, won't run with a newer one. And even if Zbrush gets it's own Goz plugin to communicate qith Zbrush, as the Daz plug don't run (within daz studio), nothing happens.

And this is just because it's provided for free, so both won't do the job (Daz and Pixologic), updating their free plugin, so we can use them with up to date software.

It just lets a way to communicate between them, it's to export your 3D models from daz as obj files, and import them within zbrush.

I also updated my version of daz, from 4.8 to the last one 4.9.1.30, and now despite reinstalling all the plugs provided, nothing.

Zbrush says file succesfully written on disk, but nowhere to be find, because it's saved as Zbrush files, with it's own proprietary format (ZPR, zbrush project).

It just lets one possibility, having 2 versions of daz studio, with at least the 4.5, as the goz plugin is broken.crying

Are you using the updated version of GoZ as well as the updated version of DS? They do need to match. The GoZ plug-in is important to Daz - it's used by the PAs making content, aside from anything else - so your assumption that it won't be updated is false. However, if the issues are not widespread it's hard to be sure that they are in DS, and hard to fix them even if they are.

The GoZ plug-in from ZBrush, if sending files back to DS (or anything else) will use a format that the destination application can understand. The files go, for Windows, in a folder in the C:\Users\Public folder - I can't check which as my main system is down.

• BookieBookie Posts: 82
    edited April 2017

Same problem and error message as mentioned above here with zbrush 4R6. Reinstalled the plugin with Install Manager (the path to zbrush in DIM is set correctly), downloaded it fresh from the DAZ store, but still the error message. Also Win10. My DAZ Studio installation seems to be up to date since DAZ Connect does not mention an update available.

Post edited by Bookie on
  • Connect won't handle DS itself or plug-ins yet. You can check your DS version through Help>About Daz Studio.

edited April 2017

My version is 4.9.3.166 64-bit Pro

Post edited by Bookie on
  • Which is current - though ZBrush isn't, we are currently on 4R7.

So the actual GOZ is no longer compatible to 4R6? I don't want to upgrade to 4R7. How do I get the actual Studio 4.9.3.166 version running with zbrush 4R6? Is there  another GOZ version, that will do the trick?

• I don't know if your ZBrush version matters or not - but it is the onyl obvious weak link.

Problem solved, reinstalling zbrush did the trick.

• This may be helpful; https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207530263-Help-with-GoZ-Plugin Note it says, if you update or install ZBrush you *must* uninstall and re-install the GoZ plugin or it will not work.
  • boumayboumay Posts: 31
    edited July 2019

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the goz plugin didn't work.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall zbrush, I have a custom interface, and many plugins.

Is it possible to tweak the paths manually?

Thank you for helping.

Post edited by boumay on
  • 1- Close DAZ (be sure it's not in the Task Manager anymore), Close ZBrush.

2- Start DIM.

3- Uninstall GoZ then reinstall it using DIM. 

4- Start ZBrush, Preferences > GoZ > Clear cache files

5- Preferences > GoZ > Update all Paths

6- Preferences > GoZ > Force Reinstall

Done.

• boumay said:

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall zbrush, I have a custom interface, and many plugins.

Thank you for helping.

Just in case anyone still has the same issue and is reading this:

I have Zbrush 2021 and DAZ 4.20 and I had the same issue.

I tried everything,  I tried reinstalling GoZ on DAZ, updating everything on the Advanced Settings of DAZ's Install Manager, and basically everything else everyone said here, but nothing worked. I even had a strange issue with the Install Manager, where everytime I reinstalled GoZ on the "Installed" tab it appeared as "uninstall - ?" instead of uninstall - actualweightoftheplugin (like it was corrupted), which I finally solved only by restarting my PC and reinstalling the plugin again (as well as setting Zbrush's path again).

Now, the way I finally solved the actual problem described here was by reinstalling the plugin on Zbrush's side AFTER doing all that I previously described, and I did it not from inside the software but by searching a file named "GoZ_for_ZBrush_Installer_WIN.exe" inside the folder where Zbrush is (in my case C:\Program Files\Pixologic\ZBrush 2021). I double-clicked that one with everything closed, reinstalled it, and it worked! I hope this is useful for someone.

Cheers!

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748

So, keep well in mind that this thread started out in 2016, which means that their problems are hardly related to any GoZ issues you might experience today, because a lot of things changed over these years. Therefor it's not really useful to help explain how you solved something today, because... it's not necessarily related to the problem at hand anymore. Of course... future readers may come across this thread and see it, I get it, but even then it's more useful to start a thread of your own if you need any help.

Generally speaking though both programs should be capable to 'detect' one another, on the DS side this can be enforced by using DIM and making sure you add ZBrush to your list of applications in the advanced settings.

On ZBrush's end a good way is to go to Preferences => GoZ and use "Update all paths" followed by a "Force reinstall".

One very important aspect to note here is that if you're able to move stuff over from ZBrush to Daz Studio then this does not imply that it will also automagically work the other way around. I've noticed that this detail has confused a lot of people over the years.

Anyway, nice to see so many fellow ZBrush users!  Each to their own of course but picking up on ZBrush was the best thing that could happen for me. I really consider ZBrush to be the best tool to have besides Daz Studio because of all the stuff it can do. For both beginners / amateurs and pro's alike. Before this I was using Hexagon which I also really liked, but it's no ZBrush :)

At the time of writing I'm still learning and I'm already proud that I managed to create and roughly texture a wrench tool, sent that over to Daz Studio and then save it as a prop asset. Sculpting and modelling is difficult ;)  But... have a piece of clothing for Genesis 8 that doesn't fully fit Genesis 1? Or having a prop which would benefit from a small adjustment?  I've managed to adjust, fix and change so many stuff over the years; from small changes to actually re-creating parts of a prop... it's mindblowing IMO. Also considering the beginner part and all? ;)

Anyway, I'll go have my coffee now :)

• GolaMGolaM Posts: 109
    Now, the way I finally solved the actual problem described here was by reinstalling the plugin on Zbrush's side AFTER doing all that I previously described, and I did it not from inside the software but by searching a file named "GoZ_for_ZBrush_Installer_WIN.exe" inside the folder where Zbrush is (in my case C:\Program Files\Pixologic\ZBrush 2021). I double-clicked that one with everything closed, reinstalled it, and it worked! I hope this is useful for someone.

Cheers!

Thank you!
    My GoZ failed today and that last bit fixed it. DAZ 4.20 with ZBrush 2022.5

• I just want to report i ran into this issue my self just now

after attempt after attempt to get this cleared up

Turns out the issue i had was a Geomety Shell was Shell Node'd to a Geomerty Shell which was shell node'd to the character model i was attempting to throw GoZ to Zbrush
    (or maybe just simply it being parented under the geoshell it was shell'd to? not sure)

so if the "can't connect" is some kind of general error
    this is proof of that

GoZ did not like a Geo Shell being made by a Geo shell that is it self a shell for another model

i discovered it was the Geoshells when another character model would load thro GoZ Just fine

Just not the character i wanted to work on

My only guess was the Geo Shell outfit she was waring
    turned out i made a mess of outfits

TLDR
    Check for GeoShells on your model you are attempting to send thro GoZ are not being made to shell another Geoshell
    GoZ does not like it

• VirgoRival said:

I just want to report i ran into this issue my self just now

Turns out the issue i had was a Geomety Shell was Shell Node'd to a Geomerty Shell which was shell node'd to the character model i was attempting to throw GoZ to Zbrush
    (or maybe just simply it being parented under the geoshell it was shell'd to? not sure)

this is proof of that

GoZ did not like a Geo Shell being made by a Geo shell that is it self a shell for another model

i discovered it was the Geoshells when another character model would load thro GoZ Just fine

TLDR
    Check for GeoShells on your model you are attempting to send thro GoZ are not being made to shell another Geoshell
    GoZ does not like it

my friend you have my forever respect, i had this issue before many times and never could understand how fix it and that was a very big headache, thanks to you i finaly discover was because i was trying to move a geoshell from one model to another even if was the same model and that was the issue, goz don't like that

• franciscomiyara said:

boumay said:

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem.

Thank you for helping.

Just in case anyone still has the same issue and is reading this:

I have Zbrush 2021 and DAZ 4.20 and I had the same issue.

I tried everything,  I tried reinstalling GoZ on DAZ, updating everything on the Advanced Settings of DAZ's Install Manager, and basically everything else everyone said here, but nothing worked. I even had a strange issue with the Install Manager, where everytime I reinstalled GoZ on the "Installed" tab it appeared as "uninstall - ?" instead of uninstall - actualweightoftheplugin (like it was corrupted), which I finally solved only by restarting my PC and reinstalling the plugin again (as well as setting Zbrush's path again).

Cheers!
    Thankiu bro. I do it 

• Rev3DRev3D Posts: 67

VirgoRival said:

I just want to report i ran into this issue my self just now

this is proof of that

TLDR
    GoZ does not like it

My man..you are a god send! The amount of times I've reinstalled zbrush goz and daz to try figure this out and it was 1 single geoshell this whole time..I think I'm going to cry. 

For anoyone else getting this problem try removing the geoshells on your model one at a time and sending it to zbrush to see which one is causing the problem for me I had 3 different geoshells on my model that wasn't exporting to zbrush one lip shell, golden palace and Btacular. Tried taking one off at a time leaving the other two on at it was the GP geoshell causing the error for me.