Rigging and weight painting issues

hello.

i have been having a significant amount of trouble with my weight painting for a custom figure.

i will work on one section of the model, for example he lower abdomen, then work on another section of the model, say the shoulder, and everything seems fine

when i come back to the lower abdomen i discover that the weight map has changed drastically and no londer works right

what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Weight maps are normalised - the ttoal weights (on any axis for a TriAx figure) must add up to 1. So if there were initially no weights on the bones higher up the chain when you poaint those they will subtract from the weights you painted lower down.

• Weight maps are normalised - the ttoal weights (on any axis for a TriAx figure) must add up to 1. So if there were initially no weights on the bones higher up the chain when you poaint those they will subtract from the weights you painted lower down.

ok so if i understand correctly, all my bones must first have a weight paint attatch to them before i start blendeing?

for example i have no weights attatched to any of the fingers or carpals.  and i just tried to paint the left pectoral with a sphere gradient tool on symetry.   when i applied the gradient the right lower abdomen  recived several splothches of 100% influence (red) weights even though the polygons were well outside the spheres

• That sounds different - and changes to the existing weight maps should be taking away in a fairly uniform manner (and do require overlapping influence of course). There have been display glitches, are you sure the weight maps are actually blotchy (uneven bending) and not just the preview? Not that a bad preview isn't an issue, of course. Which version of DS is this - Help>About Daz Studio?

• yes the changes that were happening to weights that i was not working on were blotchy and not just preview as the deformations changed as the bones were rotated

now i closed down DAZ and restarted it at a later time and that seemed to solve the issues.  also i started making surface groups the the bones

once i have finished making the surface groups for all the main bones i will fill them, save the scene and restart daz before i blend the weights to see if that keeps solving the issue

thank you for you help :D

• ok new issue!

i finished all the weights.  memorized the figure saved as a figure asset and so i can load her up into daz studio anytime....but when i export her into blender as a COLLADA all the weights dissapear and her rigging unbinds. also whenever i make a geograft apandage i can get it to work in daz but not in blender

however my purchased geographed models work fine

• That's beyond the reach of my knowledge, except to note that there are a number of FBX-related fixes and updates in the current public beta so it may be worth trying that (if you aren't). Failing that all I can suggest is posting your export settings and perhaps someone will be able to make a suggestion.