Daz javascript causing Firefox to hang

adzanadzan Posts: 268
edited October 2012 in The Commons

hi
any body else having firefox hang when coming to daz,
firefox just sits there unresponsive and crashes if you try to navigate or change tabs

update this posts script name

It seems to be a javascript called ' rum.js ' that loads when entering the daz site
no idea what it does but it's so annoying sitting around while it loads

blocking said script allows the daz site to once again load in milliseconds.

here's the url if others want to block it with adblock plus or a script blocker - ignore the beginning > & trailing < that was just to stop it being a clickable link

>https://d1ros97qkrwjf5.cloudfront.net/42/eum/rum.js<</a>

Post edited by adzan on

Comments

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

lol I found out what it does,

the script runs the transition animation on the New Release, Best Seller and Tutorials tabs on the Shop page - So you might not want to block it

personally I can live without the pretty animations now that the site is loading properly but others might not want to lose the function

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

What version of FF are you on? I had a problem on the old site with FF11 or 12, but I haven't on the new site with any FF versions since then, and I allow daz3d.com scripts.

edited October 2012

think it's the update from this week, 16 something

i'll keep an eye on the load time as it might be a cloudfront.net javascript that daz is using that's causing the issue rather than the script animation, won't know for a while as i'll have alternate them to see which is worse lol

i'm also wondering if the first script i mentioned is generated for each session, so you'd have to block the newly generated script each time it change, that'd be fun lol

Post edited by adzan on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    think it's the update from this week, 16 something

Be aware that the initial 16.0 of Firefox was pulled almost immediately for a critical bug fix. Is this what you have? Some people have been rolling back to 15.0.1 (which I still use) until things have settled down and a fixed release is put out.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Firefox is now prompting me to upgrade to Version 16 again, so it looks as thought that has been fixed. If you had the original FF16, as Spotted Kitty said Firefox were advising you to downgrade to FF15 until this fixed version was available.

If I were you I would go to the Mozilla site and upgrade to the new version with the fix for a critical security error that was in FF16

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

16.0.1 was released Wednesday night, I believe...so it should be making its way through the update channels.

edited October 2012

16.0.1 is the one I have no idea if that's the sqwiffy one

it seems the first script i mentioned does indeed change with each session, so although it does slow the page down a little when it loads it's not the main culprit, so I've update the first post with the script that definitely hanging the site for me

sometimes I wonder if it's easier just to run No Scripts despite it's drawbacks

The cloudfront.net 'rum' script is something to do with amazon so it's probably not the smartest idea to block it but it really doesn't like my browsers lol and the sites so zippy with it blocked

Post edited by adzan on