palm tree doesn't animate

is the palm tree the only tree that can not be animated in the plant editor?

the generation tab is greyed out, is there a way to animate the palm tree at all..

Palm tree animation.JPG
454 x 516 - 35K

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't know if one can export a Carrara tree as .OBJ and re-import it, my main computer is busy, but you can download a palm tree on ShareCG for exemple and rig it (bones) or use a deformer modifier for the full tree or for each parts.

http://www10.sharecg.com/search/index.php?ps=15&q=palm+tree&ps=15&m=any&wm=wrd

• For simple movements like soft swaying you could use a modifier e.g. bend and twist, but the leafes wouldn't move seperately.

Notice there is no need to export the tree, there is "convert to other modeler" available in the edit menue and you can start directly animation from here.

tree convert.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 174K
  • mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101

thanks, this is a native carrara plant  and it's supposed to work in the plant generator, I'm going to try and see how the mofiers work out and DUDU I did the dl from your link...

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI :)

The Palm tree is made of a trunk with leaves at the top,. no real branches to animate,. and only one generation.

The animation options in the plant editor will work better with a trunk with branches, and leaves with multiple generations,.

it' also worth bearing in mind that this is a "basic example",. if you were to create your own leaf models, and a trunk with small branches at the top,. ...then it's possible to build a better palm tree for animation.

Right now,. to animate that basic palm tree,. you would need to increase the Generations to get any animation,. BUT,. adding generations will effect the trunk and position of the fronds,.

The animation options will add some "light breeze" animation to the leaves and branches, but if you want dramatic animation,. like a hurricane force wind,. then it's better to simply convert that "plant" to a model which you can rig with some bones, and then animate that model.

although converting that plant to a model will add significantly more geometry to the scene, and that requres more resources,. which can slow you down,. depending on what you're doing.

• mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101
    edited July 2016

Thanks 3DAGE,

Post edited by mhscspo on