Carrara starts and immediately closes.

Just purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro and it refuses to start.  It will start and immediately close.   I have tried both 32 & 64 bit versions.  Installed regularly and in windows safe mode.  Same results every time.  Have tried compatibility modes also.  Still problem remains.

I am using windows 10 Pro - 64 bit.  Version 1511 Build 10586.420  ..  Latest AMD Crimson drivers.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Try right clicking the program icon and select "Run as administrator"

You may also need to install the program in the same way (run as administrator) .. depending on your system user account control.

• Sorry, should have mention I tried that also, but consider that as part of "compatibility modes".

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2016

Try this... Start DIM or DAZ Studio first. After it is started then try starting Carrara. If it starts once it should always start afterward. Note Do Not run Carrara or DAZ Studio while downloading/installing content with DIM. If you this is after your Carrara I read a tip that CMS, content management, needs to be running first. Hopefully I remember it right and that does the trick.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • Thanks.  Gave that a try with still no luck.  Even tried downloading and installing through the Installl Manager.   But it is still doing the same thing. :(

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

try

uninstalling any plugins you may have added 

some of them are known to freak out Carrara at times smiley

• I've not installed any plugins.   Think I'll just submit a ticket and see if support can help. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2016

try removing the carrara roaming app folder,?  resets to all the defaults

guessing uninstall doesnt remove it

think is \users\daz ...

or was \applicationdata

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited July 2016
    Rlowens said:

Thanks.  Gave that a try with still no luck.  Even tried downloading and installing through the Installl Manager.   But it is still doing the same thing. :(

Should have worked... hmm I just checked Help Center. Their article mentions a few things to do and NOT to do.
    How to Install Carrara 8.5 Pro with Install Manager
    It basically says install Carrara 8.5 Pro first, after it is installed then install it's content, "Carrara 8 Native Content" AND "Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content". Also do NOT install Carrara Render Node unless your computer is on a network of 2 or more computers. They do mention a few other things and pics with instructions in DIM.

If you submit a request ticket in DAZ 3D Support for this problem you will not get an answer back until after the holiday. Also be sure to mention things like where like what drive C or another location be it another partition or drive you are installing Carrara to, how you have tried installing it and everything you have tried already... to save time... otherwise they will ask and you will spend another day or so waiting for replies.

In the mean time I'll go see if I can the discussion about installing Carrara for the first time. Let you know more in awhile.

[hours later]   I've still not located where I read something about a first time Carrara install. :(

Post edited by wgdjohn on

the only other thing I can think of is the Radeon video card.. a few years ago when Carrara was at version 8.5 all it would do would crash on open when I had the Radeon card..

I threw it away and bought an NvIdiA card.. solved my problem wink

Stezza, I use an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series card which does not crash on startup. Carrara, DAZ Studio and a few other program do start rather slow but do start and work.

same back then... some users had no problems and some did... mine was in the did category... I found it was not compatible with my MB.. but don't ask me what the MB was, I can't remember lol

Guess I should consider myself lucky... mine is 1024 MB :)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have 2 Radeon R7 250's in mine with no problem.

What about doing a rest of before start up, which file was it to delete again?

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited July 2016

I actually have this same problem now that I upgraded to windows 10, it worked great before that. 

tried to re-install (no luck)
    ran as administrator (no luck)
    Tried to clear out the roaming folder (no luck)

Compatablility settings (no luck)

I had upgraded to DS 4.9 so if it was the database being forced to load issue I have no idea how to solve, \

It was working fine before the 10 upgrade.

Just flashes.. and nothing, don't even know where to look to see if there is a log.

Post edited by Milo on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I am on Win 10 with no issue's, I also have DS4.9 installed and run 2 or 3 times again no problem.

Carrara runs no problem

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited July 2016

uninstall then run crap cleaner and back up and fix your registry before reinstalling

Carrara and DAZ studio, Poser etc for that matter leave a lot of orphaned files unistalling that if corrupt can affect a new install.

I know it was a new install but if the download was corrupt in any way this could happen too, so checking the file size in your download library against your downloaded file  a good idea too.

I have had many an incomplete download especially programs.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511

Actually apparently having it off overnight ran fine this morning.  Dunno.. but fixed, thank you for the replies.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    Sad said:

uninstall then run crap cleaner and back up and fix your registry before reinstalling

Carrara and DAZ studio, Poser etc for that matter leave a lot of orphaned files unistalling that if corrupt can affect a new install.

I know it was a new install but if the download was corrupt in any way this could happen too, so checking the file size in your download library against your downloaded file  a good idea too.

I have had many an incomplete download especially programs.

Good advice, Sad. I do that (CCleaner) every time I uninstall anything - and then some!

============================================================

This might sound obvious, but Windows 10 has been giving me this issue:

Try opening both your anti-virus and firewalls and putting Program Files > Daz3D in the exclusions(ignore) list

After finding that this worked, I've started adding everything that I need those AV apps to leave alone. My Win7 machine doesn't have this issue.