Bringing a Duf file into Car 8.1 (via Studio and Car 8.5) gives black render? Advice welcome

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited July 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hya Carrara brain's trust

Trying to bring Old Railway int Car 8.1. http://www.daz3d.com/the-old-railway

I load it up in daz, save the scene as a duf file, open it in Car 8.5 renders okay once I fix the texture maps on the trees.

Save it as a car file (either  with textures external or internal) 

When I open it in Car 8.1 it looks fine in the assembly room.

But when I render it I get black - except for some glow on the one of the textures.

Adding 100 percent ambient gives nothing as does adding new lights. There is no sky dome I can see. 

In the shading room my shading domains show no pictures in the icons.

But when I click on one and look at it the  texture is there and alpha is 100 percent.

any advice welcome -btw I use 8.1 because that is what I am comfortable with

example texture and shader domains image attached, edit also assembly room view

edit: exporting it as a an obj from 8.1 and reimporting loses the alpha maps :(

Untitled-1.jpg
701 x 1375 - 109K
Untitled-2.jpg
1372 x 760 - 79K
Untitled-22.jpg
2560 x 1440 - 797K
Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I haven't got that set so can't try it..

but as a quick test I opened up a file I prepared earlier of bad birdy and saved in 8.5

opened up in 8.1 and no textures loaded... before I did it I remembered some talk about it long long ago when 8.5 came out.. it was something like it's not backwards compatible..

I guess the fast mipmaps in 8.5 have something to do with it...

sorry can't be of any more help.... no crying

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2016

thanks Stezza, it's the thought that counts :) I appreciate you answering :)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Fast mip map is also my first thought.

check in the shaders, texture maps,. set them all to sampling.

8.5 changed the default to Mipmap

thanks Andy for that advice, will do, cheers :) !

edit thanks for that, yes I found this thread... I wonder if Fenric every did the shader thing, also seems like a post of mine vanished from that thread....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28408/carrara-8-5-fast-mip-map-degrades-all-texture-maps/p4

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have that set I could try to open it up in Carrara 8.5 and see what I get but I don't have C 8.1.

I will try to do it tonight.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I've also got the set, and it also renders fine in 8.5 after tinkering, and I also don't have 8.1, so not much help really.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I often go to C8.1 from C8.5 but yes changing all the texturte mipmaps to one of the other choices the big annoying issuue.

My main reason for doing so is usually rigging and weightpainting stuff, it is much simpler in 8.1 as the mesh stays in the animated position using the brush.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited July 2016

Not sure why you're going back to 8.1, but here's the thing.

As 3dage mentions... Fast MipMap.

If you look at the middle image shown in your first post, you'll see a blank panel under filtering, which turns out a value of "0", and 0 = Black.

What needs to be done is this:

Anywhere a Texture Map exists in any shader, the "Filtering Method" must be given a value. Default in C8.1 is "Sampling".

Fenric's Advanced Shader Tweaker can do this for you.

Just keep in mind that, if any of those Texture Maps happen to be nested in, like part of a Multiply operation for example, will not be changed by the Tweaker, so will have to be edited by hand.

Immediately after going through all of this, make sure to Save your new C8.1 file so you don't have to go through it all again!!!!

ChangeTextureFiltering.jpg
    920 x 724 - 522K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Not sure why you're going back to 8.1, but here's the thing.

As 3dage mentions... Fast MipMap.

If you look at the middle image shown in your first post, you'll see a blank panel under filtering, which turns out a value of "0", and 0 = Black.

What needs to be done is this:

Anywhere a Texture Map exists in any shader, the "Filtering Method" must be given a value. Default in C8.1 is "Sampling".

Fenric's Advanced Shader Tweaker can do this for you.

Just keep in mind that, if any of those Texture Maps happen to be nested in, like part of a Multiply operation for example, will not be changed by the Tweaker, so will have to be edited by hand.

Immediately after going through all of this, make sure to Save your new C8.1 file so you don't have to go through it all again!!!!

I wonder if this is what is wrong with urban sprawl 3 road shaders?

thanks for everyone's help,

this forum rocks :) as you know,

Dart thanks for the pics! I thought I had that, I have a few  of these 

The Shader Doctor Skin Doctor,

Multi-Shader Editor 

The Layer Blending Shader

so I thought I had shader-power-tools-for-carrara  , but I must have bought them separately from Fenric's site?

as I said, much obliged for all the help

PS I use 8.1 instead of 8.5 because...

whenever I go to a new supermarket I can never find the bread and things I want and it takes me twice as much time

to do the shopping - sure they might have more stuff, but I try not to shop there till I need it ;)

bet you never had Carrara compared to a supermarket

mop and bucket to aisle 4 please cool

• haha, yes I try not to let my excitement show :) sometimes it all gets too much

head wax said:

I use 8.1 instead of 8.5 because...

whenever I go to a new supermarket I can never find the bread and things I want and it takes me twice as much time

to do the shopping - sure they might have more stuff, but I try not to shop there till I need it ;)

LOL!!! Really? Ohhh... the new tabs and the change in menu items I bet, right? Hmmm.

I kept bugging Spooky when they gave us the Beta to try. Eventually it all just became second nature to a point where I forgot 8.1 was different (in so many ways). 

Being a content figure user, I love how I can take a nasty pose, select the ugly part, like the neck or head bend, and go: Animation > Zero > Zero Selected Pose

I love that one, and find myself using it a LOT!
    Hands!!! Animation > Zero > Zero Selected and Children Pose  also zeroes out the fingers!!! Love it!

Also, yeah... I might teach folks how to turn Highlight to black to get fast, headache-free results, but I use the highlight channel all the time. I tweak the combination between what's in there with my shininess settings for just the look I need as my characters or objects deal with changes in light. Oh... right... the point is that the Shader Doctor Skin Doctor was not the way to go for me - so I never got it until I ended up getting the whole works. As you can see from the screenshot, the Advanced Shader Tweaker is much more in-line with my methods of madness - even though it's incredibly rare that I want all of my shaders to use the same values, it certainly helps to make mass changes when needed - then go in for the individual tweaks! :)

Anyways, was the issue(s) the Fast MipMap? Is it fixed?

head wax said:

I've had an airport traffic pattern compared to a supermarket . . . downwind - fruit & veg, left base - dairy, final - beer wines & spirits (what else???) laugh

edited July 2016

@Dart wroteth: is the issue fixed? Sorry Dart, I havent had a chance to try it, but I believe that it will be fixed (I've just spent three months finishing a book on 30 artists in indesign, which I have never used  and its due to go to the printers - gahgahagahagahagahagahagahh )   link here to newspaper article http://www.newcastlestar.com.au/story/3918734/book-showcases-local-talent/

Hearding polar bears would have been easier... so I just got an email from(insert person) who has been waiting that 3 months for other  work I am supposed to be doing... then found out my builders are kicking me out of my house for another  two months ..... so I havent had a chance to test, sorry. I ended up building the scene in car 8.1 then importing it into 8.5 and fitting it to the railway :)

But it will work I am sure!!

@Tangoalpha, that's funny and a clue to your tag??  

edited July 2016

Bravo, HW... Bravo!!! I hope it all works out... truly.

You truly are a hero to have done such an amazing thing for the community... for art... for the people!

Don't worry. While the foul-mouthed construction workers mess with your property, you're welcome to stay with us - at which time I'll show you around Carrara 8.5 so you won't need both installed ;)

EDIT: Wisconsin isn't that far away from Australia, is it?

edited July 2016

Ha ha, thanks Dart :)  I forgot to tell you that I have three Norwegian backpackers  (blond tall female late twenties) staying with me. Do you mind if they come too? They don't speak much English but that hasnt been a problem so far...

Sure! Bring them along! If we need to communicate, I have plenty of sketch pads to go around ;)

Reminds me of something I made up as I was leaving a family Christmas get-together - I asked: 

"Do you know how to say "Merry Christmas" in Russian?"

- faces, blank -

<summoning his best (pretty good, actually) Russian accent, Dart says in English:> "Merry Christmas!"

Heh, heh :) (in Russian accent)

I've put the Endeavour to one side and started to make a railway station... go figure

I reckon those three Norwegian backpackers need transport down south devil

My Father, Brother, Sisters, and I have always been big into backpacking and other survival-inspired endeavors. We've also been big on sheltering, and otherwise helping along, folks as they were in the midst of their journeys.

What a great way to meet people and to hear really cool stories/learn cool stuff. An Author that my Dad has met through one of the reading/writing clubs he's joined since he's retired a couple years ago, was just travelling across the US and he put her up at one of our finest resorts. She was amazed at the beauty of the landscape in our neck of the woods... something many local folks take for granted or don't even realise, and something that has always kept me coming back after venturing off - away from home. I've been to thirty-six of our United States and have found beauty in them all. But nothing seems to compare to the magic of living in Wisconsin! :)

Oh no... am I babbling again?

Merry Christmas! (in a thick Russian accent)

I was foreman to two Russian exchange-program college students, the year before their program was torn down. We got along great - and they (aspiring young musicians) went home with many crates full of some of high-end instruments! They were in college to be English teachers, yet they never realized that they had no clue what we (Americans) call Sour Cream, which is a commodity they just can't seem to live without! I drew a full-sized picture of the container with the words Sour Cream written on it the way they'd see it in the store. The next day they exclaimed that it was exactly right... that's what they needed! "Why such a small bowl?"

I miss those guys!

I have been to a few places in the world including the High Arctic and to the Middle east, Germany, Bosnia, Afghanistan and of course the States they all have beautiful landscapes if you care to just look at it and appriciate what is there. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

At least they are staying somewhere safe, not Wolf creek!

I always get chills because my Mum and I drove past Bangelo forest on our way home from a trip and picked up a hitcher not far from there  just a few months  before the news broke about Ivan Milat and the murders.

I recalled the name of the forest as like looking at natural beauty and tended to stop at any parks and reserves.

We said that  guy certainly was lucky we came along not you know who.

@Stezza, be careful I think they might be bird watchers, so you will have something in common ;)

@Dart not babbling, waving! Classic story about the bowl. I went to France a few years ago and saw a Squirrel. Back at the b and b where everyone only spoke French, I was trying to explain  what I had seen, I was down on my knees, on the floor, fingers sticking out of my my mouth to simulate squirrel teeth, trying to get the French people to comprendez.... didn't work - note to self, take acting lessons :)

@Chickenman, amazing that we have so many varied lives, the denizens of this forum - with one common denominator :) Afghanistan sounds like a little too much excitement...

@Wendy, yes I know the feeling, when we drive to Canberra we get chills along one part of the highway, and not from the temp.

edited July 2016
    Sad said:

We said that  guy certainly was lucky we came along not you know who.

Wow! Absolutely!!! 

I have been to a few places in the world including the High Arctic and to the Middle east, Germany, Bosnia, Afghanistan and of course the States they all have beautiful landscapes if you care to just look at it and appriciate what is there. 

...and to live in it!!! For a good part of my career, I made really nice little natural-like playgrounds for songbirds - meant to attract them in for the home owners to see and enjoy. These things also attracted chipmunks and look really cool to humans.

My phone cam resolution stinks, but this is the little Babbling Brook that I made for myself and my wife, which is actually a bit different than those playgrounds... but now, a few years later, it looks amazing!!! I need to get a camera and take some updated shots!

Birds actually dive right into this and flap their wings in the shallow water. Many songbirds fear water that is too deep and/or too fast

edited July 2016
    head wax said:

Yeah, it's just my initials in phonetic!

Gosh you lot have been chatty overnight!

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    head wax said:

Yeah, it's just my initials in phonetic!

Gosh you lot have been chatty overnight!

My Rosie calls me Sir Babylon (Babble On)... and on... and on.... ;)

ha ha yes your night is our day :) nice pond @Dart.