How can I UVmap a cake?

How can I UV Map a cake?  I found a cake model online and tried to import it into DS but the uv mapping is messed up. I want to remap it so I can use it in DS or Poser (or Carara maybe?)

Maybe I can find a tutorial on YouTube after I find my missing tv remote again.  until then how do I uv map a cake?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849

Many ways

depends on the cake ....

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931

What does the cake look like? screenshot?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,709
    Rakuda said:

What does the cake look like? screenshot?

Oh I thought I post them earlier.  I will try to post them later today.

• Probably a cylindrical projection along the y axis, unless it'ss oemthing like a Battenburg which would want cubic. But you are going to find the seams a pain whatever.

I just got hexagon open and looked at the time.  I start work in 7 to 8 minutes.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

The same way you UVmap any other object. There is nothing in any way special about a cake.

I just got hexagon open and looked at the time.  I start work in 7 to 8 minutes.

This is the cake.

birthdaycake.png
    652 x 497 - 253K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

This is the cake.

So it's basically a cylinder.

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited June 2019

It depends on what kind of geometry you have in the cake; if it is a round cylinder with radiating geometry,

or non-uniform or decimated geometry? If it is non-uniform when you unfold it, you may have to work your

way around the model definining some seams and dividing off areas of your model to be flat so that when

you export the image map, you can open it in Photoshop or another program and paint on it. Unfortunately,

Hexagon only exports low resolution maps, so you may have to upscale it.  before painting color on it,

or use another program like  uvmapper to export a higher resolution image map to work on.

Hexagon Exported Map

Uvmapper(free) Exported Map (which you can customize size of export). This one is only 1200 x1200px

There are also many tutorials out there on how to paint on a 3d object in Photoshop:

cakes_UV.jpg
    1112 x 537 - 270K
    uvmapper_map.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 465K
    hexmap.jpg
    345 x 345 - 73K
    Post edited by Rakuda on