A boba tea shop without boba tea?! Really?!

SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I was going to buy this instantly, but then I looked closer. A milk tea shop without visible milk tea props? Posters don't count. My Daz people can't drink that! Covered cups don't count! In a render, that is not going to get the point across that it's boba tea! What kind of sick joke is this?! I love the vendors usually, have tons of their stuff, but this just broke my boba-loving heart. I have a kitbashed blended boba tea prop, but I'd kill for a professionally done one that looked really good. 

Comments

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

wow, never knew of boba tea in my life. thanks for thread

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

akmerlow said:

It's super tasty. There are a few places by my house that serve it. One place is dedicated to it and they are constantly busy. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,115
    Wasn't there also a thread about a Korean restaurant they made without any rice? Since it's happened at least twice, I will look at their product pages and promos more closely.
  • AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

Boba Fett is into teas nowadays? And I thought with Filoni Star Wars is finally Star Wars again.
    But to be serious again, there is even a thread about props from these PAs that are not really useable for interactivity in your scenes. The props can only be used for background clutter because they lack necessary and expectable moveable parts, like open/close morphs.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,139

Maybe it's possible to uncover the cup and there's a perfect boba tea morph under that cover :D ?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Could someone 3D print this out in full scale and open it up in my neighborhood so I don't have to drive 20 miles for boba for my kids?

Also, this is the perfect setting for a "They Live/The Stuff" sorta story where the little boba balls are actually alien eggs.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

I've got questions about that 'CreamCheese Milktea' and concerns for why there's salt and pepper on the table. Would have been awesome to see some open cups, some halfway finished too.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2021

I love milk/boba tea. Kinda surprised they avoided making the drink props as they would be a must for manga and anime art.

Plus it's not that hard to do. A clear cup, dark round balls, thick liquid. I made my own a while ago

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,905

akmerlow said:

It's so good! You've got to try it. When I was living in LA, I used to go to a Boba place off Sunset just east of Highland and they'd have a chocolate shake Boba. Oh my gosh, I could go for one of those right now :) 

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

Just in case someone is looking for boba props:

https://www.daz3d.com/hipster-girl-2017-for-genesis-3-female-s

• melaniemelanie Posts: 767

I had to look this up .I've seen the shops around town, but they call it "bubble tea." I guess it's the same thing.

mr clam said:

oh thanks. No clue that existed but snapped it up!

• BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364

I'm just glad there's a boba shop and someone else can make props and poses 

Colors can be based on:

- Mango and lime

- Jasmine

- Passion Fruit

- Hibiscus 

-  Green

- Matcha

- Oolong Milk Tea

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

As much Coca Cola and tons of artificial flavours? Wow... what can be wrong about that... and it even has nice little bubbles made of alginate filled with more - probably artificial - flavour!

Have to admit neither the Daz version nor the real thing offer any more attraction than maybe... some Starbuck's so called "coffee"... laugh

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited July 2021

Boba pearls are almost always made out of tapoica. They are usually black, with the tea itself being the source of the color. In most cases, the color may not be natural, but the flavoring is.

The "Cream Cheese" on the menu isn't referring to cream cheese like what would be used in some cheese cakes. It is a foam made from cheese powder that is put on top of the tea for tang.

The salt and pepper shakers on the table are probably there for small dishes that locations like this often serve, though I see nothing behind the counter to indicate they would be able to serve anything other than tea.

Boba tea and bubble tea are indeed the same thing. I wouldn't be able to guess if bubble came around as a corruption of boba or if it is just an easy way to refer to the pearls, or both.

Edit to add...  I just noticed that there are clear boba too, not that I've ever tried them. Both are made from tapioca, with the dark ones having brown sugar added to them.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

Boba pearls are almost always made out of tapoica. They are usually black, with the tea itself being the source of the color. In most cases, the color may not be natural, but the flavoring is.

The "Cream Cheese" on the menu isn't referring to cream cheese like what would be used in some cheese cakes. It is a foam made from cheese powder that is put on top of the tea for tang.

The salt and pepper shakers on the table are probably there for small dishes that locations like this often serve, though I see nothing behind the counter to indicate they would be able to serve anything other than tea.

Boba tea and bubble tea are indeed the same thing. I wouldn't be able to guess if bubble came around as a corruption of boba or if it is just an easy way to refer to the pearls, or both.

Edit to add...  I just noticed that there are clear boba too, not that I've ever tried them. Both are made from tapioca, with the dark ones having brown sugar added to them.

I've never seen that as an option but now I'm intrigued- would definitely be willing to buy the cream cheese one for a friend to try and report back :P
    mr clam said:

Sold!! I didn't know about this. Got it right away.

The cream cheese one looks good. considering people love cheesecake, I don't see the big deal. When that debuted there is a big demand. Its just another kinda froth to go on top.

By the way, while sometimes loaded in calories, they aren't all artificial. My favorite ones which is Thai is just tea, boba and condensed milk. 

So I got my boba tea prop (which is annoyingly rigged with off center joints- that will have to be fixed) and was actually going to get the milk tea shop after all, when I saw just how many of the signs need to have "Fugaztea" (which someone pointed out breaks down to "fug az tea" or ugly butt tea) removed from them. While doable, this is a HUGE pain in the behind. Why couldn't they have used a generic sounding name that didn't evoke associations of ugliness? It would have also been nice if they included textures of these signs with the name area blank. Le Sigh. 

Still on the fence about getting it... I am fine with making modifications to products, but I usually only buy items that require it at deep discount. 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Although Boba places are all around my area, my niece looked up the recipe and sometimes makes her own for fun. I like the Thai one and am not a fan of the fruity flavors, but I also don't like fruity flavored regular teas, so it makes sense. 

Thanks for the ref to the product, tossing it into my cart too.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,191

certaintree38 said:

So I got my boba tea prop (which is annoyingly rigged with off center joints- that will have to be fixed) and was actually going to get the milk tea shop after all, when I saw just how many of the signs need to have "Fugaztea" (which someone pointed out breaks down to "fug az tea" or ugly butt tea) removed from them. While doable, this is a HUGE pain in the behind. Why couldn't they have used a generic sounding name that didn't evoke associations of ugliness? It would have also been nice if they included textures of these signs with the name area blank. Le Sigh. 

Still on the fence about getting it... I am fine with making modifications to products, but I usually only buy items that require it at deep discount. 

It's not as if "fugazi" doesn't already have ugly connotations of its own.

I don't like it when inside jokes are used in products. For example improper words in different languages. Offending others is not why I buy a boba bar.

Gordig said:

certaintree38 said:

I actually didn't know that. Well, d***. Now I'm wondering if I should return it. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I don't care, I like pogey bait and I think I'd like bobba tea. I'd have to order the ingredients online and make it myself though, that's for sure.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Gordig said:

certaintree38 said:

I was under the impression that the word Fugazi was an Italian slang word for something fake, but that could be an obsolete term like "groovy" or "square"... FUGAZI was also supposed to be a Vietnam era slang term for getting ambushed and killed... similar to FUBAR... I think the punk rock band that goes by that name chose that as their band name for that supposed reason. 
    It's also an Italian last name, likely an Ellis island misspelling of Fugazzi.
    I suppose only the PA knows their intention or actual meaning.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,862

Interesting, is it something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Just wonder, if Boba Fett drink it in Star Wars.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Fugazi is punk band...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugazi

The group still needed a name, so MacKaye chose the word "fugazi" from Mark Baker's Nam, a compilation of stories of Vietnam War veterans, it there being a slang acronym for "F***** Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In [into a body bag]"

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849

I wouldn't drink it, I cannot stand tapioca cheeky so if the shop sells other stuffs I honestly wouldn't mind at all

but I think I already own enough eateries and coffee shops, some by i13 who are teamed with Fugazi

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

certaintree38 said:

I was under the impression that the word Fugazi was an Italian slang word for something fake, but that could be an obsolete term like "groovy" or "square"... FUGAZI was also supposed to be a Vietnam era slang term for getting ambushed and killed... similar to FUBAR... I think the punk rock band that goes by that name chose that as their band name for that supposed reason. 
    It's also an Italian last name, likely an Ellis island misspelling of Fugazzi.
    I suppose only the PA knows their intention or actual meaning.

I'm Italian, and as far as I know "Fugazi" is not in our vocabulary; couldn't exclude other regions' family name or regional slang, though.

Boba Tea didn't land here, yet, and I suspect if it may do it, it's going to be looked at as something weird; more or less like as it happens with so-called "coffees" made with other than moka, espresso, or napoletana  machines.

Boba tea doesn't need the tapioca pearls, and you can leave them out. They don't however taste like tapioca or much of anything.  I like Thai Iced tea, and I sometimes leave them out. I'm not always in the mood for the fish-eye mouth feel.