Planning a starship build, scale questions

13»

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited July 2017

This has been a great thread with an amazing model.  Morkonan's advice is very helpful to me.

I'm glad you saw it through to the end.

Wel, I'm not done yet. Still working on the rigging. The only real rigging will be the guns and steering controls. Everything else will be done through morphs, which will be the next step. 

Here's the first test render of the partially rigged ship:

Jedi-Star-Test-1.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 1M
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited July 2017

double post

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

Very nice!

• Now, the big question is, how do I make sure I build it to proper scale so that I can add interiors, and such, including the two decks, and fit characters inside?

I leave my version of Hexagon in its default "cm" unit scale, and model the ship in whatever physical size the drawing comes in. So if it turns out the deckplan is roughly 8 inches long, then my model of the ship is roughly 8 inches long.

After the outside of the ship is modeled, I don't need the drawing anymore, and I can then re-size the model to 54.3. I still leave the units in "cm". I never change the units in any of my apps. Things just work better that way, since I transfer models as OBJ back and forth between them. No matter what app I load the model into, the length of it will be 54.3.

When I get around to rendering, I can then put feet or meters or miles or whatever after the 54.3 value, so that the atmosphere and lighting scale is correct with the imported object.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    edited February 2018

Very nice.  I hope to make spaceships to using Hexagon.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

This has been a great thread with an amazing model.  Morkonan's advice is very helpful to me.

I'm glad you saw it through to the end.

Wel, I'm not done yet. Still working on the rigging. The only real rigging will be the guns and steering controls. Everything else will be done through morphs, which will be the next step. 

Here's the first test render of the partially rigged ship:

Looks awesome...Superb modeling....

• This is amazing, is this available for download anywhere?

This is amazing, is this available for download anywhere?

Nope. Technically, it's still not "finished". It works, for the most part, but there are a lot of things that could be improved, and the rigging, in particular could be better, but that's currently beyond my skill set.

In-Starboard-Cargo-Hold.jpg
    3649 x 2000 - 549K
    Looking-Across.jpg
    3647 x 2000 - 416K
    Looking-Fore.jpg
    3647 x 2000 - 469K
    Looking-Aft.jpg
    3649 x 2000 - 438K
    Lounge.jpg
    3647 x 2000 - 399K
    Cockpit-View.jpg
    1601 x 878 - 210K
    Aft-Corridor.jpg
    1601 x 878 - 165K
    Dojo.jpg
    3647 x 2000 - 1M
    Library.jpg
    3647 x 2000 - 921K
    Workshop.jpg
    3649 x 2000 - 1M
  • Patrick210Patrick210 Posts: 20

I wrote an article for 3D world a long time ago about modeling a spaceship in Hexagon. It was pretty simple modeling, beginner level. It had another double page spread and a 70 minute video showing the modeling in realtime. Main reason I show this is to suggest you create a uv map for the exterior it in hexagon and texure it. Could really add a lot and helps to show scale. Looking good though.

tute ss.jpg
    1000 x 610 - 311K

I wrote an article for 3D world a long time ago about modeling a spaceship in Hexagon. It was pretty simple modeling, beginner level. It had another double page spread and a 70 minute video showing the modeling in realtime. Main reason I show this is to suggest you create a uv map for the exterior it in hexagon and texure it. Could really add a lot and helps to show scale. Looking good though.

http://tutengraphics.com/fullpic.php?fullpic=graphics/Computer Artwork/Hexagon Carrara Images/hex tute ship.jpg

Here's link to a larger render done in Carrara

edited June 2018

Actually, that's already done. The whole thing is texture mapped, and it was not easy. 

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

Let me thank you Patrick210 for the article and tutorial.  I remember buying the magazine and getting a copy of Hexagon to try out.  The video was very helpful.

That JPEG is way too low poly to read. If it were a PDF, and/or higher rezolution, it would be much more useful. 

Here's the pdf of the whole article. 

pdf
    pdf
    TDW107.t_hex.4jt.pdf

Size comparisons:

Size-Comparison-1.jpg
    3325 x 1829 - 674K
    Size-Comparison-2.jpg
    3325 x 1829 - 400K
    Size-Comparison-3.jpg