[Just Released] Epic Props: Dynamic Lens Flare & Starburst for iRay

2»

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2016

Put together a random render to try these out - Epic Props is not an understatement!

Post edited by KA1 on
  • Nice work KA1. The lighting levels are perfect. 

-P

• pdspds Posts: 593

Nice work KA1. The lighting levels are perfect. 

-P

I agree. This looks great, KA1!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited November 2016

Philosopher, I love your products, and bought this one to redo a cover for one of my books. But I'm having trouble getting the lens flare to come out the way it does in this promo. I've watched the video, and am looking for the directions. I don't remember seeing a PDF, but I'll look again. I've tried rescaling the container, repositioning, but I still get the weird effects shown in the attached picture. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm fairly new to Iray, and haven't used a prop like this before, so it's probably user error.

Here's the result I'm getting. I've tried scaling it and moving the light farther behind them, but it still gives the weird effect of enveloping their waistlines and there's no flare between them like in your pic. Do I need to move it closer instead? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Or multiple things! I also noticed that if I try to delete the container/prop, Daz 4.9 (64 bit) crashes. Every time. Not sure why. I finally recreated the scene and saved it as a template without the prop so I could use it as a baseline if I needed to start over from scratch and load the prop with its defaults.

Crazy redo 2.png
    941 x 881 - 1M
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2016

@Llynara,

To get the sunburst effect as shown in the promo of the couple (or the other one with light shining through trees), you need to make sure that the "Main Starburst" or "Foreground Starburst" is in front of your subject.

I've attached a screenshot of my scene file for that promo so you can see what I am refering to.

Nice couple by the way. :)

Untitled-1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 843K
    Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
    edited November 2016

Aha! That's what I'm doing wrong! Thank you so much. I will give that a try.

That couple took me forever to get right. Man, there's a learning curve to all of this. I'm happy with how they turned out. I actually got into 3D to create book covers after I could not find anything even remotely close to my hero. A friend suggested I create it in 3D instead. She did my first cover and now I'm getting ready to udpate it with my own design (scary). I thought your lens flare would be perfect for it. This portion will be the top part of the cover. Will post in the gallery when it's finally done and tag your product. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks, Philosopher, the lens flare turned out awesome. Now, on to the bottom half and then tweaks in post work...

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2016

Nice work @Llynara. The couple looks very lively and happy together. You did a good job with the expressions.

P.S. Just a small tip, it may help to change the emission color of the starburst from pure white to a slight yellow (to help to match the ambient color of the surrounding light). Notice the starburst in my promo; it has a slight yellow hue to it (very slight). 

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on

Thanks, I'll try that!

Llynara said:

Thanks, Philosopher, the lens flare turned out awesome. Now, on to the bottom half and then tweaks in post work...

I'm sooo behind on catching up on forum threads with the neverending Daz sales lately, but having just popped back into this thread I wanted to say, WOW! Beautiful work on this! Love the pose, expressions, colors...really nice work. Once you tweak the lens flare color a bit, this will be absolutely gorgeous.

edited January 2017

@pds - Thank you very much! I did tweak it with Philosher's suggestion and I like this a lot better. I still need to work on it more, but it's coming along. Now that the holidays are over, maybe I'll get a chance to finish it. Click for the full size, it's pretty big.

Crazy_redo_2000_light yellow.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Llynara said:

@pds - Thank you very much! I did tweak it with Philosher's suggestion and I like this a lot better. I still need to work on it more, but it's coming along. Now that the holidays are over, maybe I'll get a chance to finish it. Click for the full size, it's pretty big.

Gorgeous! If you're still tweaking, maybe consider having the woman's fingers gently grasping the man's arm.

I finally finished this. I did debate over the fingers but decided to leave them as is for now. Very happy with how this turned out. I could not have done it without this wonderful product! 

• I have got to manage to afford this someday.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003

That turned out really beautiful, Llynara! You hard work sure paid off there.

Thanks, Bee! It was worth it, and so is this product. There's a learning curve to it but it really does produce some neat results. Renders take a while, since it's drawing a lot of light. I let the renders above run overnight. They were about 12 hours each on my older 2 GB card (750Ti). This was a while back, but I'm pretty sure it dropped to CPU only. I really need to try rendering one on my 4 GB card (1050Ti) and see how it does.