Bryce Freebie: Desert Temple Model (at last)

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited January 2017

Thanks very much for the model Dave.

Dersert Temple.jpg
    1037 x 746 - 413K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,013

SRay- nice render, a bit dark on my laptop.

Hansmar- wow awesome render, I wish I understood the discussion on Dome lights, sad

Electro-elvis- thanks for the name of the font.

StuartB - beautiful render.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,760

S Ray: Very nice render. I would say 'dark' (in content, but also a bit in light). Very much like the alien (but thought it was a skeleton).

StuartB: Wonderful! I love the backlight and the total scene.

Rashad Carter: Thanks a lot for the kind words as well as the additional explanation. I guess I came close, while not understanding everything. For example, I just made the domes very large instead of distant. Also, I think I forgot to exclude the groundplane from the Earthglow dome. I did play quite a bit with settings of all three domes, just untill I got this result. Great thing, is that you can have some decision on the relative strenght of shadows. I did come to similar types of bias values. I did decrease the suns intensity somewhat to have not too much light on the scene.

I look forward to the coming tutorial. Really hope (for my sake as well as for others) that you will add some pictures to show where to modify the less common settings (such as bias).

mermaid010: Don't worry: I actually understand less than half of what Rashad explains. He is so far ahead of me, that he needs limited words, where I need several detailed sentences. And maybe you need a little more too. Point is, that he knows soooo much and is willing to tell a great lot, which leads to being too concise for some of us. Nevertheless, try to do like I did: read it a couple of times and then experiment. For example, I needed some searching before I found the 'bias to the North and South' options and when I did find (the bias), I was able to play with it and see the results. As always: experimenting yourself is the best way to learn! We need those masters of Bryce like Rashad, Horo and David (and others) to point us towards new directions, but we will have to go there ourselves!

Thanks very much Mermaid and Hansmar.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,138

Mermaid - thank you.

Hansmar - you made a great story with the dragon and the lady. Second one has a great camera position and is well lit, too.

S Ray - nice evening scene, the alien is a cool idea.

Rashad - thank you.

Stuart - excellent render, really shows the heat in the desert.

• Stuart, that looks fantastic! Very unexpected. You remind me of something I often forget. That haze can itself behave something like a light source. Great work!

Mermaid- Essentially this is Dave's thread, so I am being somewhat shortwinded with descriptions so as not to hijack his thread any more than I already have. I've started the new lighting thread. I'm just in the process of getting all the image examples worked out. I look forward to more discussions.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    Hansmar said:

Rashad Carter: Thanks a lot for the kind words as well as the additional explanation. I guess I came close, while not understanding everything. For example, I just made the domes very large instead of distant. Also, I think I forgot to exclude the groundplane from the Earthglow dome. I did play quite a bit with settings of all three domes, just untill I got this result. Great thing, is that you can have some decision on the relative strenght of shadows. I did come to similar types of bias values. I did decrease the suns intensity somewhat to have not too much light on the scene.

I look forward to the coming tutorial. Really hope (for my sake as well as for others) that you will add some pictures to show where to modify the less common settings (such as bias).

mermaid010: Don't worry: I actually understand less than half of what Rashad explains. He is so far ahead of me, that he needs limited words, where I need several detailed sentences. And maybe you need a little more too. Point is, that he knows soooo much and is willing to tell a great lot, which leads to being too concise for some of us. Nevertheless, try to do like I did: read it a couple of times and then experiment. For example, I needed some searching before I found the 'bias to the North and South' options and when I did find (the bias), I was able to play with it and see the results. As always: experimenting yourself is the best way to learn! We need those masters of Bryce like Rashad, Horo and David (and others) to point us towards new directions, but we will have to go there ourselves!

Well put - I also read these notes, and remember just enough to know that I'll need to come back later to look something up when I get 'there', and eagerly come back to this stuff when I'm 'more' ready. The contribution (@Rashad's lighting commentary in this case) is invaluable and appreciated greatly! I'm also following your new thread!

cheers all, and thanks again Dave, for the Desert Temple - I'm inspired by the renders in this thread!

--ms

Hansmar – thanks for the encouraging words. I do experiment a lot in Bryce and enjoy it. But some things are difficult in my age to get right without images or video tutorials. I read and re-read Rashad Carter’s explanation and viewed and re-viewed David’s tutorial on the Sphere Dome Light, but I did not get a nice scene lighting using the Dome or Fill lights.

Rashad Carter- I don’t think Dave will mind if you hijacked the thread, but it will be much better to discuss the lighting on thread of its own. I look forward to the thread.smiley

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158
    edited January 2017

I downloaded this a couple of days ago and got the chance to use it last night. Beautiful model, thank you so much for offering it to the community smiley

Here's my first go - I plan to fill in the gap on the left with a little oasis or something when I get the chance

:

DS-Temple-Dune.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 527K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Melaniel - lovely lighting, looking forward to the one with the oasis

edited January 2017

MelanieL: Looks very good. 

This is a model for 1001 nights, I'm afraid. I took cameraposition #5 and modified the sky as well as the textures on the domes (into a glass-type). I allo added some lights inside and inside the domes and outside the model . (Only afterwards did i notice that there are lights in the original model; silly me!)

Due to one of my lights, there is a strange green artefact. 

Probably more to come but maybe at anothre resolution!

DesertTempleUpload3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 758K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited January 2017

For fun, a quick one; no night work required. Abstract made by using top camera and a HDRI (from a free pack of abstract HDRIs).

Middle part of the temple as seen from above.

abstracttemple.jpg
    875 x 875 - 235K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2017
    Mermaid- Essentially this is Dave's thread, so I am being somewhat shortwinded with descriptions so as not to hijack his thread any more than I already have. I've started the new lighting thread. I'm just in the process of getting all the image examples worked out. I look forward to more discussions.

Haha... Dont worry about it one bit Rashad... It's just great to see you back in the Bryce forum.

To everyone else... I'm truly blown away by the response here... It's great to see how everyone interprets and uses the model. You do all deserve a much longer and detailed response and I will get around to that as soon as my present hectic schedule is a bit clearer. Usually January is a quiet time in my job... This year, I hit the ground running and haven't stopped since... But thanks for your support and some super renders. smiley

Post edited by Dave Savage on

Hansmar - both your renders are nice, I like the different views you are representing.

Thanks very much Horo and Rashad.

Theres some great and very different views here.

MelanieL - looking great.

Hansmar - well done. I think there is no artifact, only light shining on the wall. Perhaps the lights are set to no falloff. The top shot is a neat idea.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158

Thanks for your comments, folks.
    Hansmar - nice renders - that abstract is very striing, I wouldn't have guessed what it was. I was getting those green artifacts too at certain angles - like you I'd failed to notice the lights blush

edited January 2017

mermaid010HoroMelanieL: Thanks. And I did understand that the 'artefact' was the light from inside (through the green window) hitting something. I didn't see, it was on the wall (I thought on the terrain), but indeed, it is the wall. Thanks for noting that. I might have excluded the wall. but I'll keep it like it is. 

I have made yet another one, in this case with some IBL as main light and a strange sky. The IBL is what leads t that grainy appearance. Don't understand why, but I do like the effect.

Next one is brewing (takes a day or so, thanks to transparency and reflection).

DesertTempleUpload3a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited January 2017

Hansmar,
    This most recent experiment is quite interesting. Great to see you setting out and experimenting, that's the best way to learn!

I don't think the IBL is causing the noise. IBL should be wholly incapable of producing the noise you see, as IBL is always blurred as a backdrop and must then deliver blurred colors to the target model. IBL delivers shadow bands from the virtual radials, not noise, even when set to thousands of samples. What we are seeing with the noise is some sort of Premium Effect. Maybe TA was enabled and you didnt realize it? OR some other thing. But the IBL shouldn't be capable of producing said noise.

One thing to also consider is the logic of the lighting. Light must always come from somewhere. Original light sources must always be brighter than the surface that reflect said light.

So if the sky is this dark, then it clearly will radiate very little light into the scene. If you were working with the domes, I'd say to lower the intensity of the skylight dome considerably. There's also the amount of light at the ground level, again, it should have been quite dim. Currently, there is much more light striking the model than can be explained by the available colors in the environment.

So the lesson is to make sure the lighting of the scene makes good sense thermodynamically. A surface must never appear brighter than the light source that illuminates it. Another way; a surface should not radiate more light than it has received, if realism of any sort of the desired goal. So for a scene like this, the target model should end up appearing much darker. Finding cool things like shiny reflections can really add interest to an otherwise dark seeming image.

Always start with your direct lighting, because that is what will drive all of the subsequent indirect lighting. OR if you do indeed start with the indirect, just make sure that once you add in your direct illumination that it appears that your indirect is a response to the direct, not an unrelated entity.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited January 2017

Hansmar - interesting effect with the grain. It has nothing to do with IBL, rather with render settings. You could test this by disabling the HDRI and use a dome light instead. I like the grainy effect but find it a bit strong here. A couple of months ago I experimented with different combinations of IBL settings used with TA and documented the results with renders on my website Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine (PDF) > Sky > Image Based Light with True Ambience. 

Post edited by Horo on

Hansmar – lovely render I like the graininess, the render looks more like a painting on a grainy canvas, except the sky gives it away.  

edited January 2017

Rashad, Horo, Mermaid: Thanks. Unfortunately, with scenes like this, I tend to quickly move on to another possible render and do not save all settings. Stupid (somehow), because I can never redo it then. Just like in this case. Though I did save 4 versions of the scene, not this one!

To answer Rashad: realism was definitely not my aim here, so I am happy with the light surfaces and the dark sky. And, Horo, indeed, the graininess could have been a bit less. Mermaid: indeed, a grainy sky would have been fun.

Now, for the next one, I can tell you the settings. Quality: Regular with boost light. A sphere fill light with 100 diffuse, 25 specular and linear fall off above the palace (at about 3 times it's height. A sphere dome light (25/25, linear fall off) covering the whole palace, which is put inside a large hollow cylinder and on a simple (wooden textured) plane. There are various radial lights (5/5, linear fall off, with some of them slightly coloured) in the model itself. Texture of the model is crystal glass with a blue diffuse colour. Sun is at 100/100 intensity, with 43% shadows, almost straight in front of the palace.

It's clear, that realism was not an option for this one! Hope you like it. It tells you, that I think Dave's model is a real juwel!

DesertTempleUpload4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 649K

Wow Hansmar - a real jewel, thanks for sharing the info about the lighting.yes

• Hansmar, I thought I'd posted a comment on your crystal offering days ago. I must have somehow deleted it. I agree with Mermaid, total jewel. The specular is very compelling, and the glass properties in the way it seems to change colors, seems very surreal. Great! These are the types of scenarios Bryce has always been excellent at producing.

Mermaid and Rashad: Thanks. What I also like is the pool-like colour and texture on the walls of the galleries.

edited February 2017

Hansmar - love it. In fact, I intended to do something of that kind as well but got sidetracked.

In front of the camera is the extreme wide-angle fisheye lens (EWL) and the diagonal FOV is 190 degrees. Backdrop and ambient light from the Simplon HDRI that comes with Bryce 7.1 Pro; the key light by the sun with 10% soft shadows. Rendered with TA and 144 rpp.

Desert Temple Cloister

DT-Cloister.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 87K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo: Thanks. Wonderful view you created here. Very nice shadow form too.

edited February 2017

Hansmar - thank you.

I really like this model. Here it is as a little planet. The camera is on top of the centre spike with the EWL, effective FOV 212 degrees, 16 degrees over the horizon all around. Ambient light and backdrop from the Illhorn HDRI which comes with Bryce 7.1.

Desert Temple Planet

DT-Planet.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 234K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo: Love it!

Horo- I love it too