Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

CJReynolds,
    Specular magic at work here?

If so, It was unintentional - I was mostly seeing how many weird reflective mats I could cram in one scene, LOL!

GussNemo said:
    This thread is racing right along. Rather hard to keep up. I've enjoyed seeing all the real nice images, though an aspirin might be needed after seeing cj's images--that or a seat belt.

LOL - Thanks, Guss! :)

Cool renders by everyone

Cjreynolds - awesome abstracts - lovely vivid colors

Atlantis - nice to see your work again.

David - thanks for the two beginners tutorials. ;)

Thanks again! :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Couple of snow scene I rendered after following another of David's tutorials.

Not sure which one I prefer though.

I have to agree with Horo and say I like the second render better, though my thought was the lighting was more interesting.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Wilmap – both your images are lovely.

My attempt of David’s tutorial Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple still life - a tutorial by David Brinnen

simplestilllife-64rpp-1hr28min.jpg
    700 x 700 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Well, this is about the last batch of old renders I can find - abstracts again :) After this, I'm gonna actually have to do something if I want to post renders - no more old stuff to lean on, LOL!

Anyway, during my aforementioned abstract addiction, I decided to try building a kaleidoscope in Bryce. I had a couple when I was a kid, and I remembered how they were made - just a 3-sided triangle shaped 'tube' made of reflective material (usually polished metal). Then they put a hamster-cage sort of thing on the end with rocks, rinestones, or whatever, which are reflected in the inside surfaces of the 'tube'. Sounded like an easy job for Bryce.

I know now that I wasn't nearly the first person to think of this - there were probably plenty of tutorials on the web about it at the time I 'invented' mine, LOL! I noticed David has one - I'll have to try it. I looks cooler that what I came up with, and it's animated (like a real kaleidoscope :) )!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2owWP1Bg2fw

The first image is the setup I used, the camera was placed just inside the 'tube', and aimed at the large cube at the end. I used a cube so I could try volumetric mats on it.

Kaliedoscope_3.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 1M
    Kaliedoscope_7.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 666K
    Kaliedoscope_6.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 736K
    Kaliedoscope_5.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 1M
    Kaliedoscope_8.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 354K
    edited December 1969

...and here's a couple more from the kaleidoscope batch - messing with camera angles and render options...

Kaliedoscope_12.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 837K
    Kaliedoscope_11.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 512K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

For Scott, I was thinking I might try a novice tutorial. It's kinda tricky knowing what to explain in a tutorial like this, and I apologise if I've missed the level you were looking for. Anyway please feel free give it a go and let us know how you go on.

Bryce 20 minute beginners project - simple landscape - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Beautiful render Joe - Orbital - whichever you prefer? But I'm not alone in Bryce knowledge, we are fortunate here to have access to Dan Whiteside, Horo, Dave Savage, Graham Dresch and occasionally Rashad Carter, Kine_magiK (Peter) and Oroborus who really does seem to have all the answers as far as Bryce animation is concerned - and about which I know nothing. So there are brains aplenty to be picked.

And if it is knowledge you are after, look here http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

And some recent video's from Horo and myself http://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen/videos?view=0&flow=grid covering topics from the basic to the fantastically obscure.

This, by the way, is the simple landscape - from the tutorial above (thought I'd better add that since this is the "show us your render thread" and not the waffle on for ages about vaguely related things thread.

Thanks again for creating and sharing this tutorial, David! I learned a lot and am enjoying putting these tips into practice. Here's my next attempt at a landscape...I used different terrain, sky, and water materials and couldn't resist eroding the terrain a bit, but otherwise tried to stick fairly close to what you did.

In terms of feedback on the tutorial itself...it seemed to assume a greater familiarity with the Bryce interface than I currently have. Sometimes I had to rewind a bit and watch a section again--not because I didn't follow what you said, or that you moved too quickly through the material, but rather because the cursor itself seemed to move too quickly, and I didn't know how to find the control you were using. Aside from that, I thought it was great. It certainly made an immediate impact in terms of what I can achieve with the software.

terrain2a.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 59K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Wilmap: I like both of those images, though my eyes are drawn more towards the first one. Nice job.

@mermaid: That turned out pretty well. That a tutorial I've yet to view.

@cj: Those images are really neat, love the colors and patterns. Real nice job.

@Scott: That's a good looking image.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Scott...very nice. In comparison to your initial island attempt (#438), David's tuts are a great resource for turning simple-looking, attempted renders/works into serious professional-looking ones.

Jay

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Scott - really good looking. The waves on the water may be a trifle large - they make the island appear small. You can scale each texture individually by clicking on the top left button of the texture component. That opens the dialog to scale, rotate and shift the texture.

TransformationTool.jpg
    634 x 502 - 54K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited January 2013

It is very nice to see people getting so much out of the tutorials, which is very encouraging. In the mean time, I've added an appendix to my last tutorial about use sky.

Bryce 10 minute lighting project - use sky appendix - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Use_sky_v1_2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 175K
    Use_sky_v1_1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 203K
    Use_sky_v1_0.jpg
    700 x 700 - 201K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I'm not adding this to the tutorial lists, because it's potentially going to cause more trouble than it is worth. But here's a link to an experiment I've done
    Bryce 10 minute experiment - breaking light probes - a video by David Brinnen

Which shows how you can potentially exploit a bug in the way specular mapping works to create "novel" HDRI from existing HDRI (in the case of the video I use - use sky) but at the same time... be aware if you save this HDRI, or the sky with it in or the file with it in. It could be corrupted. It's clearly badly broken. But being a beta tester, I just can't help myself.

The video will still be findable and accessible at my youtube channel - like the other video's that I don't don't list here or mention for fear of causing trouble. If you want to catch everything you could always subscribe, but don't feel you have to. Anything really worth while I will endeavour to add to the tutorials listing in the sticky areas (which sounds unwholesome).

Use_sky_v2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 115K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Another attempt with faked spruces. They are made with terrains. I have now tried to give them a bit of a snowy look. I felt that the standard anti aliasing was too strong for the little "trees". The transition between snow and fir needles was getting too blurry. Therefore I reduced the anti aliasing tolerance in the render options to 40. I hope this is not to much now.

winterwald.jpg
    800 x 600 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Looking good, electro-elvis. By the way, you can exclude selected objects from being anti-aliased.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

Bugs ! Bugs !.. We've got bugs !...We Need More Soldiers !
    Join us TODAY ! We Need YOU ! :lol:
    Starship Troopers rescue mission on Klendathu :-) (2417 objects/59.505.520 polygons)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPE00A6b9TY

1. Starship Troopers font : free: http://www.dinara.co.uk/free_fonts.php
    2. Arachnid as obp : free: http://www.grafik-3d-portal.de/portal2.htm (choose downloads button, click on Future)
    3. Arachnidd as (3ds, max, c4d, obj, lwo) : free: http://thefree3dmodels.com/stuff/animal/arachnid/24-1-0-1649 for other 3d app.(optional link)
    4. Ships : copyrighted: use any other ships , visit ShareCG for free ships
    5. Buildings and antenna : copyrighted : use any 2 buildings resized from ShareCG or grafik-3d-portal.de
    6. Terrain and sky : Mountain(duplicated): modeled by me in Mudbox and eroded in World Machine, smooth in Bryce. Sky:Specially created to fit to this scene and added a slab too.Cave: Bryce content.Plain : Water plain with same texture from the mountain but modified to look more as a sandy plain.
    7. Postwork: Yes in Photoshop added lens flares,engines light, fake red mini sun , dodge , burn.
    Could be better but got bored of this project :lol: ,need to move to another one lol.
    If some things looks with bad proportions, look at the higher building, there is a small blue door at the ground level , the height of the door is same with a human one.
    Download scene link : http://www.sharecg.com/v/67171/view/5/3D-Model/Klendathu-for-Bryce

klendathu-FINAL-lens-flares.jpg
    1198 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

Haha..cris...loved the first film...second was somewhat disappointing. The influencing sound, of course, throughout was - "Do you want know more".

Jay

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

Jamahoney said:
    Haha..cris...loved the first film...second was somewhat disappointing. The influencing sound, of course, throughout was - "Do you want know more".

Jay

and "Come on you apes, you wanna live forever ?"

:lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPE00A6b9TY (my scene somewhat based on this video part and the 3rd movie with the tower siege)

i like all the 3 movies ,even if the 3rd is lacking in special effects or action and is based on a siege scenario :)
    ty Jay for reply :)

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

@cris333 - not much in movies but I like the render.

I've been playing a bit with the forthcoming fisheye lens for the Bryce camera. Can be used for abstracts or - as here - whimsicalities as well.

Whimsicality_b.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 260K
    Whimsicality_a.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @cris333 - not much in movies but I like the render.

I've been playing a bit with the forthcoming fisheye lens for the Bryce camera. Can be used for abstracts or - as here - whimsicalities as well.

Nice whimsicalities! OK since I got to grips with DOF Bryce 20 minute effect project - Exotic use of DOF - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I've been pondering if with my new found knowledge of how it seems to work if I can trick the Bryce camera into giving me a Bokeh effect. This is my first try...

bokeh1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 262K
    edited January 2013

This is a light hungry effect, I've resorted to boosting the light in post using PSP8. I hope you can see the elements are now hexagonal?

Edit, the black sphere in the middle is the thing the DOF is focused on.

bokeh2_fc100.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 354K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Near, very near.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

@David Brinnen:
    Looking good. I can definitely see hexagonal shapes.

Here's my try at bokeh. The effect is made in Bryce, done by increasing dof to very high values (~1,6) while creating in front of the camera black frame in desired shape. What can be seen on my render as a circles are in fact only visible point light sources at varying depth and their reflections. Bryce scene

71_bokeh3.png
    450 x 300 - 289K
    Post edited by dwsel on
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    @David Brinnen:

Here's my try at Bokeh. It's in-cam effect done by increasing dof to very high values (~1,6) while creating in front of the camera black frame in desired shape. What can be seen on my render as a circles are in fact only visible point light sources at varying depth and their reflections. Bryce scene

A similar approach. I built a little hexagonal box around my camera and knowing how lens radius relates to Bryce units (@1 the diameter is the same size as the camera object) then I saw where I could clip the dithering movement. What I am viewing is a HDRI image and what I am struggling with is to get enough light out of the effect. The spreading light of the defocused spots is having to vie with a lot of darkness. You seem to have overcome that, but using light sources. Did you boost your scene in postwork?

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

dwsel_ said:
    @David Brinnen:

Here's my try at Bokeh. It's in-cam effect done by increasing dof to very high values (~1,6) while creating in front of the camera black frame in desired shape. What can be seen on my render as a circles are in fact only visible point light sources at varying depth and their reflections. Bryce scene

A similar approach. I built a little hexagonal box around my camera and knowing how lens radius relates to Bryce units (@1 the diameter is the same size as the camera object) then I saw where I could clip the dithering movement. What I am viewing is a HDRI image and what I am struggling with is to get enough light out of the effect. The spreading light of the defocused spots is having to vie with a lot of darkness. You seem to have overcome that, but using light sources. Did you boost your scene in postwork?

Check the file from the link at the end of my post. I've used boost light (it looks that it's necessary to get enough light) and my scene gets way too bright when the obstacles are removed. The render has no postpro.

[edit]
    Oh, I've noticed that light has started to leak through the edges of my filter and the bokeh circles have the inner dot that's caused by this leak. With the smaller dof size there's less leak and less light in the image.

Post edited by dwsel on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone really nice images and some good ideas happening here I see....I have alittle experiment going on with land materials when I put this in Bryce it really didn't come out as detailed as the photo was can I fix this somehow?? Thanks in advance Trish

Wheres_the_beach.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 640K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone really nice images and some good ideas happening here I see....I have alittle experiment going on with land materials when I put this in Bryce it really didn't come out as detailed as the photo was can I fix this somehow?? Thanks in advance Trish

Need a bit more information really.

Is it a photo texture imported as a .jpg (and a grey scale for the bump map or height map in the terrain editor) or did you make the terrain in another 3D app and import it in as an .obj or other file type?

I ask because if it was an imported object it would depend on the resolution it was saved at in the file linked to the .mtl
    Also when you import stuff into Bryce, the bump map settings usually need tweaking at best and totally re-setting at worst.
    Increasing the bump settings in the material lab will add crispness to the texture on the terrain.
    Also, make sure your diffuse is at 100 and ambient is at 0 and that global shadows are set to 100.

It also makes a lot of difference if you turn the sun up to 150 or even 200 in the sky lab.

edited December 1969

Sorry I could be more helpful......Duh.....It is a satellite photo that I zoomed in on and copied and pasted into paint.net and then moved into Bryce no bump map. heres the stats on the photo...

info_land.jpg
    383 x 511 - 103K
    edited December 1969

I think it came out quite good considering how small the picture is. The picture material you apply on an object has to be at least as large as that part will render. Your render is twice as wide as the picture material and it continues still a bit left and right. There are just not enough pixels in the picture you've used. You may try to tile it, maybe it works. Procedural materials do not have this limitation.

tiling.gif
    320 x 604 - 23K
    edited December 1969

You could try sharpening it - e.g click on E on the terrain mesh on which your image is overlaid upon, and on the Sharpen button...move your mouse to the left (may need playing around with, so undo, retry again).

Jay

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

I don't comment on everyone's images individually because each is an expressions of the mind that created them and therefore they have a beauty all their own. Anyway, with that said, "ooh that's nice" to everyone's pictures and I hope you like this one of mine.

islesoflostdreams.png
    836 x 622 - 886K
    edited December 1969

Horo, I'm back after trying to find the easy way out as usual...and going to cg society and reading up on procedural materials....I guess its back to learning the DTE better so I'm reading tutorials again.....

Jay, Thanks for the tip about sharpening the image.....I will work on that also....

MX426, I never tire of going oooo aaaaa over artwork.....I like the effect you captured here of course I do love purple in any flavor

There is one 3d render that is awesome on the cg society it is titled Drogo I didn't want to post it here copyright and all that but here is his tag to find it ....Its the guy on game of thrones and he does look real....Wow

name.jpg
    174 x 406 - 44K
This discussion has been closed.