Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2013

Stuart...love your 'natural' scenes since you came off the instrumental renders (not that the instrumentals should go amiss, mind...more, please in the future), but these natural works are interestingly new to look forward to. From experience, it can be hard to delve into areas one isn't used to, however, once there, it really opens up worlds, doesn't it.

Bob...love the detail in the sword, while the amulet is simply superb...would hang that around my favourite maiden's (given chohole's permission, of course :) ) neck anytime.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • edited December 1969

@Jamahoney

Strictly part-time playing with Bryce...but your comments are both flattering and encouraging.

FYI - It was a concept art piece for part 2 of a book series by a UK Author.

Atlantis had two protector sects, the Guardians (soldier/philosophers) & and the Sentinels (Latent telepaths) who were enhanced by tech - The Amulets.

But were here to talk about art, not literature...:o)

It's a provisional...I hope to develop it further, but I was particularly proud of the lighting :o)

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

New tutorial, might be useful for those of you who don't yet know your way around all the key sky lab settings. Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

@David: Thank you for this very well made tutorial. I liked among other things the using of an invert terrain. Below my try.

@Dartanbeck: What a beautiful black and white picture. The lady has nice hair. Is it from DAZ3D?

@David: Displacement experiment. Yesterday I gave it a short try. Strangewise the displacement produced no spikes, but little wholes. I am such a beginner :-)

@Rowan54: Your pictures look quiet moody.

@Savage64: :D

Very nice scene E-E well done.

edited December 1969

Bob About said:
    After reading over 50 pages of 'Banter' ...if I join in, being kinda new to Bryce, am I going to be 'patted on the head, and humored?

I'm A graphic designer, and I play with Bryce, I know - sad-get a life, as a hobby. But what I do, and what you guy's seem to be doing are two totally different approaches.

David & Horo are obviously the Gurus here, but I'm strung out between Maths/Geometry/Ar.t, and free expression as far as Bryce goes.

I think, probably, I have more I common with Horo's approach, regarding ambient backgrounds and still-life models, but I am so impressed with Davids 'Environments'.

IF I show my efforts so far....can I expect any inevitable criticisms to be constructive? ..is what I guess I'am asking? Or should I just go away and keep reading & practicing for a while longer?

Aiden.

Well you'll never know until you try but so far this seems a pretty supportive bunch. This is the third iteration of this thread (each one maxing at 100 pages of posts) and I can't think of once ever seeing someone to criticise in a mean or unhelpful way. It usually goes something like, "Not bad, but in the future you might want to try..." Don't worry none of us bite, at least not very hard and usually with our dentures in :)

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    This one's for David Brinnen.

A nice pint of Bateman's beer, Salem Porter.
    I downloaded Davids beer material from 2005 from Bryce5.com here .
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1247

I did notice one thing though.
    When applied to a beer glass shaped object and rendered it was upside down
    with the head at the bottom.

I looked at the Transformation tools in the Material Lab and noticed that all the
    adjusters in the Scale Control were set to 24%. I changed them to -24% and it
    appears the right way up. May be because the material was made with an earlier
    version of Bryce.

The floor under the tables is slabbed but then I wanted a wet / rained on look but it didn't
    quite turn out how I'd hoped. The tables have obviously been wiped dry.

The tables are plastic, if they had been made of wood they would have rotted in all this rain we get in the UK.

The shadow of the beach ball is fake (flattened cylinder) because the sky, sea and sand are a background image. The messy sand where the ball is, is a few terrains also on the background image. I left the bucket and spade in case you fancy making a sand castle when you've had a few.

I did have a ship on the horizon but even making it fuzzy and with distance blur it was still to sharpe and stood out like a sore thumb.

Looks pretty good aside from there being way too much water on the floor. I especially liked the out of the box approach to the background, gave me some things to think about. :)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@ Jamahoney.- Thanks, thought it was time to try something different.

@ LordHardDriven.- Thanks, I agree about the water, may be next time I'll get it right, need to practice a bit.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@electro: I almost expect to see fish jumping out of that water. And a guy casting as fast as he can. A really nice image.

@stuart: That's a real good looking image. Shame that full glass was left behind.

@Bob: Those images are excellent. The detail on the sword hilt and amulet is stunning. Nice work.

@David: Nice job on your latest videos. Some I'd like to have seen around when I first started playing with Bryce.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Stuart, yes, Bateman's do some nice strong(ish 5.1%) beers. Probably a bit early in the day to start... but it looks like I'm on holiday - if only. The probably with the inversion could be down to the orientation of the object itself - depending how it was modelled. Or what how it was imported in the Bryce... or just as you say, some quirk of Bryce itself. So long as you figured out how to get it the right way up, that is all that mattered. You achieved a good fusion between your foreground and background image, only the difference in sharpness gives the game away. As is often the case. This can be disguised with DOF, but you would probably want to get something closer to the camera to explain that choice. And yes, you are quite correct, any such tables I see around here are far more rotted than your pristine examples.

Bob, The swords look excellently rendered, the green material in the hilt and pommel looks particularly nice. To clarify, the "copper kettle" was the name of the source file, the HDRI was a low resolution version of Horo Treppenhalle - if you want to know what the HDRI that is being used is called look at the attached image, it shows the sky lab, IBL tab and the little arrow points to the name. Anyway, that's not really important, what is that you have decided to join our little band of merry renderers and share with us some imaginative renders. I particularly like the inclusion of the volumetric material inside the boss of the shield - that's a neat idea! Don't feel bad about being a graphic designer, at least it is indoor work with no heavy lifting, I earned the bulk of my living last year labouring for local builders. Don't get me wrong, I like being outside and I'm happy to have the work, but it's hardly thrilling - I'd be doing that now, but I've got an hours grace while the rain eases up.

Jamie, thank you, yes, well, here's the thing, to make a beginners tutorial, it seems to me, you need to have a far better understanding of the software than you need to make a tutorial for those who know how to use the software. Now that to me sounds counter intuitive, but as soon as you set out, you have to unlearn all your good habits based on what you know and relearn the interface as it presents itself on the surface. There are controls I just never use because I have learned better ways of doing things, but beginners are stuck in a realm where they only have the tools presented to them to work with.

Image2.jpg
    743 x 647 - 190K
  • M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Tiny Soldiers of the Forest Floor. Something a bit new...
    The ants are made in Zbrush, but the environment is entirely Bryce.
    I have a new fascination with insect anatomy and variation, and all my early interest in zoological illustrations are providing a fertile new ground for inspiration.

KLY3.3z_.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 359K
    Post edited by M1chaelFrank on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ooh I like that, don't I always.

I have been playing around today, not sure if it worked out or not Did try Postworking it into a mono version as well

"Yes dear, you're still the one I love, but.........umm......why are you wearing your grandaughter's dress?"

Youre_still_the_one_new_mono.jpg
    724 x 950 - 379K
    Youre_still_the_one_new.jpg
    674 x 900 - 368K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ooh I like that, don't I always.

I have been playing around today, not sure if it worked out or not Did try Postworking it into a mono version as well

"Yes dear, you're still the one I love, but.........umm......why are you wearing your grandaughter's dress?"

I especially like the monochromatic version. Yes, it certainly worked out! Very nice.

edited December 1969

@David: Your point is well taken. When a person knows a subject so well it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for them to present material to those who have limited, or no, experience. This is the case regardless of the subject.

@M1chael: If those are the ants in your woods, I'll stay where I am. Nicely done.

@chohole: That guy in your image almost looks like he's getting ready to drop his jaw. Well done.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank - that looks great, the backdrop well chosen. The ants are somehow wasp-like with the long thin connection to the abdomen. Great artwork. The depth of field at lower right seems inconsistent - looking at the plant and the left fore leg of the near ant. Is this a trick that fools my eyes?

@Pam - the monochrome version has definitely more charm. The scene looks like a photograph. Superbly done.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Your point is well taken. When a person knows a subject so well it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for them to present material to those who have limited, or no, experience. This is the case regardless of the subject.

@M1chael: If those are the ants in your woods, I'll stay where I am. Nicely done.

@chohole: That guy in your image almost looks like he's getting ready to drop his jaw. Well done.

Thank you Guss I appreciate it!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @M1chaelFrank - that looks great, the backdrop well chosen. The ants are somehow wasp-like with the long thin connection to the abdomen. Great artwork. The depth of field at lower right seems inconsistent - looking at the plant and the left fore leg of the near ant. Is this a trick that fools my eyes?

@Pam - the monochrome version has definitely more charm. The scene looks like a photograph. Superbly done.

Thanks, Horo... and yes, the front ant's leg should have been tucked behind that plant. ;-)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Lovely work by everyone.

@M1chaelFrank - as usual beautiful work

@Chohole -I like the monochrome version better- lovely effect.

edited December 1969

Lovely work by everyone.

@M1chaelFrank - as usual beautiful work

@Chohole -I like the monochrome version better- lovely effect.

Thank you!

• edited February 2013

@David - Thanks for the tip :)

I also tried a little experiement, if that's the correct term, in creating an engraved effect. It was more to see what could be done than create a planned render.

I started with the photo - removed the background - reprocessed the layer to make a template - and finally mounted it on a plain white background to use in the terrain editior. Creating a fairly deep terrian model and then compressing it down to twice the depth of the impression I was trying to make seemed to work best in terms of retaining the definition of the origional print. Then it was just a matter of using a pos/neg boolian grouping to achieve the effect. (And a lot of fiddling too, if I'm honest :) )

The beak had to be made seperately and added in as a possitve feature...and the little eye was just for 'bling'. The braids & fleurs were just to experiment with raising and cutting into the plate to see what sort of effects could be created.

As I say, just a little experiment, but I thought the reprocessed image of the falcon produced a rather nice effect...

Thoughts, comment, or suggestions for improving or taking to the next level?

PS - I hope I got these in the right order :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

merlin_falcon_by_cindy1701d-d3sg8ic.jpg
    900 x 715 - 128K
    Template_for_Bryce_Merlin.png
    368 x 327 - 95K
    Merlin_detail_border07.png
    888 x 888 - 163K
    Falcon_engraved_test23_LR.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 264K
    Falcon5.png
    739 x 722 - 872K
    Post edited by projectariel_877202f4b6 on
    edited December 1969

Super work Michael - as per usual, and the additional from Z-brush look entirely suited to this environment - although the material you have chosen for them give them a certain impression of being separate from or alien to the scene. Interesting effect.

Pam, OK I'll give my vote to the black and white version also, although I do rather like the stain glass windowed light effect in the colour version too. So maybe a mix, all black and white except for the light and the light coming from the light?

If that's an experiment I can't wait to see what you do when you are serious Bob... fantastic results! Keep up the experiments and thanks for sharing your approach.

New tutorial...

Bryce 15 minute scene - simple terrain under advanced lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen

landscape_under_TA2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 901K
  • edited December 1969

@David...Cheers!

I had an other attempt at the etching thing a month or two ago, using a simple line drawing map of the world, engraved into a mirror slab reflecting a basic sky and hazy plane. Obviously I've cropped the render to just show the mirror. :)

I also had another little play with the sword this afternoon...I'm on holiday for a few days :-) ...it's just a quick render to 'get my eye in'. The perspective and camera angle are rough as a badger's.

Good little tutorial about the lighting by the way...much learned, nothing practiced....yet! :ohh:

Sword_stone02_LightHDRI.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 280K
    Worldmap_etched2.jpg
    700 x 540 - 192K
    edited December 1969

Super work Michael - as per usual, and the additional from Z-brush look entirely suited to this environment - although the material you have chosen for them give them a certain impression of being separate from or alien to the scene. Interesting effect.

Pam, OK I'll give my vote to the black and white version also, although I do rather like the stain glass windowed light effect in the colour version too. So maybe a mix, all black and white except for the light and the light coming from the light?

If that's an experiment I can't wait to see what you do when you are serious Bob... fantastic results! Keep up the experiments and thanks for sharing your approach.

New tutorial...

Bryce 15 minute scene - simple terrain under advanced lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Thanks very much, David. I'm still working on lighting and material properties in Zbrush, and trying to make them compatible with my Bryce Library. (I fear I've a bit of a way to go, but all in good time.) Struggling with contrasting platforms has given me a new resect for Bryce, which still remains my favorite program. It's also given me a lot of new things I want to try. I've always been very object-oriented in Bryce, and I have a few ideas about how to build stuff that I hadn't considered before. Can't wait to try it all out!

edited December 1969

@Bob: Those images are excellent, well done.

@David: Another good tutorial, and the end product looks really good. I may learn something yet. :-)

I found a tutorial using a Bryce cube to make a huge cube of 7x7x7 cubes. It starts with one cube, multi-replicates 6 more with the first offset of 0,0,35. Those cubes are grouped and the process is repeated, with a second offset of 0,35,0. Wash and rinse for a third time only using an offset of 35,0,0. This produced a large cube of 7 long, 7 high, and 7 wide groups of cubes. It was created this way to use as an animation of the camera flying through the cubes.

Taking a break from my current project, to alleviate the frustration factor, I wondered what it'd look like with the camera amongst the cubes, a material on the infinite plane, and a neat looking sky. I changed the texture and color of the cubes, adjusted the haze, fog, and clouds, and came up with the following image. It's nothing fancy, just rather neat looking.

Floating_Cubes_with_Halo.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited February 2013

Bob
    great engraving technique renders , i think i saw an engraving tutorial on Brycetech website ,not sure if it is on Horo and David website too.
    David
    thank you again for another great tutorial about landscapes.Didn't had time to practice it because i want to create a special terrain for this with terraces.

I was playing with photoshop, universe image creator and hdr shop and i created a background + hdr to simulate a hyper jump or light speed travel :lol:
    Well maybe not a great one but i finished my wish lol.One of the next projects to create a comet render (or hdr) related to astronomical events.
    2013 important events:
    *February 15,2013 - morning - A space rock- few meters diameter- exploded in Earth's atmosphere above the city of Chelyabinsk, Russia at about 03:15 GMT. The numerous injuries and significant damage remind us that what happens in space can affect us all. +900 injured people caused by shattering windows/flying glass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NPaJLftp8
    "Our most sincere sympathies are with those suffering injury and property loss due to this event in Russia," added Thomas Reiter.
    *February 15,2013 - evening - Another asteroid, 2012 DA14, 45 meters, made a close flyby of Earth at 19:27 GMT (20:27 CET) -closest and biggest asteroid in the last 15 years of advanced space research history.
    *March 2013 - comet PANSTARRS, not big enough but visible with naked eye. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/06feb_panstarrs/
    *Nov-December 2013 - comet ISON , one of the biggest (double size of Lovejoy), "As of Jan. 18, the tail extending from ISON's nucleus was already more than 40,000 miles (64,400 kilometers) long" and possibly brightest comet since 1900 (Comet of the Century) - brighter than the full moon. Now we can see the incoming comet with a powerful amateur telescope. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130205.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    more details or download link if you need this image
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67484/browse/1/3D-and-2D-Art/Hyper-Jump-(Light-Speed)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67441/browse/15/2D-Resources/Hyper-Jump-(Light-Speed-optilusion)-Background+HDR
    (jpg - 20mb , hdr - 65mb)

HyperJump-final_image_web.jpg
    800 x 533 - 405K
    Hyper_Jump.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 735K
    Post edited by cris333 on
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

This year I've dedicated more time to rendering. Here is one of them. I'll post more if people are interested. I mainly do abstract type of renders.

Bryce 7.1 Pro - Boolean modeling no post work other then adding my logo bottom right corner.

Abstract9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Good going cris333, indeed it gave me an idea for a tutorial!

Bryce 10 minute scene project - abstract space HDRI backdrop - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Analog-X64, nothing wrong with abstract type renders and boolean modelling. If you are using reflective spheres and you have not already experimented with it, do give HDRI backdrops a whorl, the nice thing is partial reflections work very well with the increased dynamic range, bringing with it an interesting contrast between the abstract nature of the render and the realistic response of the material and background image.

Abstact_hdri_backdrop1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 565K
    edited December 1969

Analog-X64, nothing wrong with abstract type renders and boolean modelling. If you are using reflective spheres and you have not already experimented with it, do give HDRI backdrops a whorl, the nice thing is partial reflections work very well with the increased dynamic range, bringing with it an interesting contrast between the abstract nature of the render and the realistic response of the material and background image.

Thanks for the Link David, I will certainly give it a try. I like working with boolean operations, and I've attempted to do some modeling with Wings 3D, but it does not come easy for me as it does for others. So for now I stick with boolean but will re-visit other style of modeling later.

Here is another one of my abstracts, this time I was practicing with the multi-replicator.

abstract7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Nice abstract. Thinking on... anything you can render can also be returned as a distorted HDRI backdrop + light source - using the above approach... Which makes me wonder... what would happen if the process were repeated a few times with the same subject. A sort of recursive render.

edited December 1969

Nice abstract. Thinking on... anything you can render can also be returned as a distorted HDRI backdrop + light source - using the above approach... Which makes me wonder... what would happen if the process were repeated a few times with the same subject. A sort of recursive render.

It seems I need a bit of reading/research ahead of me in regards to HDRI. I tried using HDRI on the scene with the spherical object in the middle from a few posts ago, the result was a bland, dull and darker scene. I used one of the HDRI's included with Bryce 7.1 "Sunny Beverly Hills.hdr"

To keep on topic, here is another one of my renders. :)

Orb_Sphere4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 300K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And to follow all these intriguing abstacts and such. One of my boring old landscapes. Needs some tweaks thoug.

And a question. Some of the texture maps for the trees are in .tga format. Is there any advantage to using this format for textures.

riverbank_try_6.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 436K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen and Horo.

Hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist the urge to edit one of your video demos.
    I just removed the beginning and the end of the video and added a small piece of music
    I created ages ago.
    It's only just over 1 minute long.

It's this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_EJ4aECSg
    The gigantic wide angle within a light probe video.

I've got the new link for it but didn't post it here in case I upset / offended you.
    If you would like to see it I will post it.

Stuart.

This discussion has been closed.