Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

New tutorial, might be useful for those of you who don't yet know your way around all the key sky lab settings. Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen
    Say David, Thank you kindly for all of the Bryce Tutorial Links over in my neck of the woods. It's going to take watching a few times just to try and wrap my head around how bizarre that interface is. Carrara is so... Pow - there you go. This is like looking at a pencil drawing of a ghost, or something! :-/
    But watching your first set in the list - two part desert landscape, has really opened my eyes to the fact that Bryce is so self reliant. It just seems like you can just sit right in Bryce and create every little thing from scratch in there. Same goes for Carrara, but in entirely different ways. Quite the adventure... question is... will I be man enough? :grrr:

Well if your avatar is anything to go by, you clearly are man enough. Seriously though, I think the key is to determine if you enjoy using the software, if you like fiddling with the little controls and generally adventuring your way through it all - kind of thing - then yes.

I have tried Carrara and also DS but though I could appreciate how competent the software was, I just found that I wasn't having any fun with the software. The resultant images were good, but the process was too much like work - which is not the relationship I want to have with my hobby. Bryce to me is fun. I enjoy the process as much as I do waiting to see what the final render pass will bring.

So that's the way I look at it. If you are imaginative you can bend any software to your will with enough patience, but if you are not enjoying doing it, then don't blame the software, just find something that suits you better. Though, please don't see that as discouraging, I'm sure the Bryce community would only be too happy for you to join us, but in doing so, you will have to be prepared to live with Bryce's eccentricities - of which there are many ;)

Edit. Nice render, many of us Brycers are particularly envious of Carrara's trees...

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Eireann...excellent results.

Have to admit trying to achieve the same effects initially when Horo and David started doing this wide-agle thingy some weeks back, using several Bryce-created lenses aligned to resemble an 'actual' wide-angle optics setup. Bryce wasn't able to create the actual physical properties of a real lens I found, so gave up.

Jay

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328
    edited December 1969

Cool, David. I won't talk all through your render thread - but want to say that I see what you mean about how different software can be. Hexagon is fantastic. But because of my getting happily comfy within the confines of Carrara (right, like Carrara is confined! Ha!) just makes it hard to close down something that you really enjoy long enough to even try something new. If I didn't actually see you mess with your colors and height maps, directly in those awesome little "Catalogue-looking" windows, I probably would not have even installed it! I look forward to trying it.
    Pam, thanks for the invite. This really is a great place over here! Arghh... One more for the road?

DragonBerries.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 224K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@eireann.sg - I think you made a good start - and thank you for using the HDRIs. When I set out to create a fisheye lens for Bryce (having been inspired by a render of David's), my aim was to create a lens that has the property of a real full-frame fisheye lens. I rendered a panorama with it the same way I acquire the spherical panoramas with the real camera and stitched it with the same software I use to stitch the photographs. It came out to be a 13 mm fisheye lens and it stitched automatically without errors. From there, it was relatively easy to extend the range.

@Dartanbeck - I like the monochrome render, it looks fantastic. Also the other one with the dino. Impressive work. I do have Carrara from 3 upward to 8 but couldn't get the hang of it (but I adore the tree lab). It resembles to Studio (and Hex for that matter) and I can't get a grip on them either.

As I see it, Carrara is more orientated on (successfully) emulating the real world. Bryce can be set so that the properties of a couple of things are completely impossible from a physics point of view. This gives enormous freedom to the artist. The problem is to find which impossible property gives which useful effect.

edited February 2013

You speak the truth, Master Horo! They are but tools - and the results become what we make them to be.
    Sorry... this is for Bryce... I'll stop now.

SciFiCitySilly.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 105K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2013

You speak the truth, Master Horo! They are but tools - and the results become what we make them to be.

Nice renders, Dartanbeck, if you want we can have a "render-off" challenge. I understand Carrara has displacement... how about trying a frost effect? I'm just rendering the tutorial now for Bryce.

Bryce 20 minute effect project - frost displacement experiment - a tutorial by David Brinnen

frost_on_metal2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 262K
    frost_on_metal.jpg
    700 x 700 - 235K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Impressive, yes you are almost there, the last bit of tweaking and adjustment always takes the longest. Part of the problem is the "granularity" of Bryce's units. If you want to fit lenses inside the camera (a good idea if you want to avoid collisions with other objects in your scene) you need to build very small units and that in turn requires very precise placement of parts and that in turn brings you up against the precisions limitations.
    Thanks for the flowers :)
    I also noticed that the granularity is a problem but considering that in the Bryce World everything is relative you can just make a wide angle lens as big as you want and everything else just has to be bigger relative to your lens system.
    Also the positioning of lenses within the group of lenses is important and should be optimized, but guess you know that already :)
    edited December 1969

Sounds like fun, even though you'd totally torture me with that! lol

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Horo said:
    @eireann.sg - I think you made a good start - and thank you for using the HDRIs. When I set out to create a fisheye lens for Bryce (having been inspired by a render of David's), my aim was to create a lens that has the property of a real full-frame fisheye lens. I rendered a panorama with it the same way I acquire the spherical panoramas with the real camera and stitched it with the same software I use to stitch the photographs. It came out to be a 13 mm fisheye lens and it stitched automatically without errors. From there, it was relatively easy to extend the range.

Sorry Horo for missing that out.
    I think everyone knows that I used your very nice HDRIs as backdrop but I probably should have mentioned that in my initial post.
    Happy you too liked my clumsy early attempts
    Did you consider getting the nikon 6 mm f2.8 fisheye lens? That one must really be something.

Eireann...excellent results.

Have to admit trying to achieve the same effects initially when Horo and David started doing this wide-agle thingy some weeks back, using several Bryce-created lenses aligned to resemble an 'actual' wide-angle optics setup. Bryce wasn't able to create the actual physical properties of a real lens I found, so gave up.

Jay

Yes, Bryce doesnt achieve the actual physical properties of a lens but in reality you also cant make glass with a refractive index of 1 if 100 is no distortion.
    I also thought of that first, Just look at the construction of a real fisheye lens and then do that with Bryce, but thats by far too complicated. I think not even Horo or David would go for such complicated stuff.
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

Did you consider getting the nikon 6 mm f2.8 fisheye lens? That one must really be something..

No, it's a few pennies beyond my budget. Besides, it's a circular fisheye. I only have full-frames, a 10.5 mm (DX) and a 16 mm (FX) both from Nikon, both trespassing the budget but less so.

And yes, we cannot construct optics with booleans - oh we can, but the optical properties do not work as expected. But Bryce also has a few options that are completely outside of everything we know from physics - they probably exist in another universe. Tinkering with these can give interesting results.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I was going to buy a fish eye lens but I decided not to when I found out it wasn't waterproof!
    I mean, what kind of fish has an eye that's not waterproof?

:lol:

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

New tutorial, might be useful for those of you who don't yet know your way around all the key sky lab settings. Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

Very timely for me David, as I just started working with Robin's skylab/weather tuts. Thanks a lot

eireann - interesting results.

• Rowan54Rowan54 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I've been scanning this thread, but haven't posted here before.

I've been working on my web novel, and I'm coming up on a part of it where I will need a methane world. (Yes, sci-fi, original, not a fanfic)

So, I've been working making methane world possibles in Bryce. (The sky needs to be *orange* mind you, *orange*.)

These are a couple of my better tries...all in Bryce. No postwork.

methane_8.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 100K
    methane_4.JPG
    880 x 761 - 55K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rowan54 said:
    I've been scanning this thread, but haven't posted here before.

I've been working on my web novel, and I'm coming up on a part of it where I will need a methane world. (Yes, sci-fi, original, not a fanfic)

So, I've been working making methane world possibles in Bryce. (The sky needs to be *orange* mind you, *orange*.)

These are a couple of my better tries...all in Bryce. No postwork.

Those look pretty damn good.

edited December 1969

Nice renders, Dartanbeck, if you want we can have a "render-off" challenge. I understand Carrara has displacement... how about trying a frost effect? I'm just rendering the tutorial now for Bryce.

Bryce 20 minute effect project - frost displacement experiment - a tutorial by David Brinnen

ok I'll take a shot at doing this...

Frosted-Pipe1.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 256K
  • Rowan54Rowan54 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Rareth -- thank you!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

ok I'll take a shot at doing this...

Well done! You seem to have been the first to try this, looks promising - goodness I wish displacement would map properly and work on high priority, it would enable some "cool" effects (pun intended).

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

@David: Thank you for this very well made tutorial. I liked among other things the using of an invert terrain. Below my try.

@Dartanbeck: What a beautiful black and white picture. The lady has nice hair. Is it from DAZ3D?

@David: Displacement experiment. Yesterday I gave it a short try. Strangewise the displacement produced no spikes, but little wholes. I am such a beginner :-)

@Rowan54: Your pictures look quiet moody.

@Savage64: :D

Lake_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 209K
    edited December 1969

@David: Thank you for this very well made tutorial. I liked among other things the using of an invert terrain. Below my try.

@Dartanbeck: What a beautiful black and white picture. The lady has nice hair. Is it from DAZ3D?

@David: Displacement experiment. Yesterday I gave it a short try. Strangewise the displacement produced no spikes, but little wholes. I am such a beginner :-)

@Rowan54: Your pictures look quiet moody.

@Savage64: :D

Your render from the tutorial came out better than mine, I think you should be happy with this result, I think it has worked out nicely.

As for Displacement - don't be too quick to think the fault is yours, this is a feature that has not yet reached maturity and as a result suffers from some curious quirks and downright nasty bugs (certainly as far as I am concerned this feature has not been extensively tested and what you may have discovered is yet another mapping issue that needs addressing).

• edited December 1969

After reading over 50 pages of 'Banter' ...if I join in, being kinda new to Bryce, am I going to be 'patted on the head, and humored?

I'm A graphic designer, and I play with Bryce, I know - sad-get a life, as a hobby. But what I do, and what you guy's seem to be doing are two totally different approaches.

David & Horo are obviously the Gurus here, but I'm strung out between Maths/Geometry/Ar.t, and free expression as far as Bryce goes.

I think, probably, I have more I common with Horo's approach, regarding ambient backgrounds and still-life models, but I am so impressed with Davids 'Environments'.

IF I show my efforts so far....can I expect any inevitable criticisms to be constructive? ..is what I guess I'am asking? Or should I just go away and keep reading & practicing for a while longer?

Aiden.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Hi Bob.

If you've read this thread you'll have noticed that we're all friendly, welcoming and encouraging towards people at all levels of Bryce experience and skillz.

I too make the majority of my living form graphic design and I have a keen interest in geometry (as a kind of side effect of one of my other hobbies)... So dive in, you're more than welcome.

• edited December 1969

Fair enough... :o)

Oops! Tried to post some renders...How do you get them in the post? Tried cutting n pasting, and the attachment thing?????

I only seem to be able to add them as attachment files???? And they don't seem to show on the preview?

:roll:
    (Got the smiley thing working though.)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

This one's for David Brinnen.

A nice pint of Bateman's beer, Salem Porter.
    I downloaded Davids beer material from 2005 from Bryce5.com here .
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1247

I did notice one thing though.
    When applied to a beer glass shaped object and rendered it was upside down
    with the head at the bottom.

I looked at the Transformation tools in the Material Lab and noticed that all the
    adjusters in the Scale Control were set to 24%. I changed them to -24% and it
    appears the right way up. May be because the material was made with an earlier
    version of Bryce.

The floor under the tables is slabbed but then I wanted a wet / rained on look but it didn't
    quite turn out how I'd hoped. The tables have obviously been wiped dry.

The tables are plastic, if they had been made of wood they would have rotted in all this rain we get in the UK.

The shadow of the beach ball is fake (flattened cylinder) because the sky, sea and sand are a background image. The messy sand where the ball is, is a few terrains also on the background image. I left the bucket and spade in case you fancy making a sand castle when you've had a few.

I did have a ship on the horizon but even making it fuzzy and with distance blur it was still to sharpe and stood out like a sore thumb.

After_The_Rain.jpg
    800 x 600 - 397K
    edited December 1969

Bob About said:
    Fair enough... :o)

Oops! Tried to post some renders...How do you get them in the post? Tried cutting n pasting, and the attachment thing?????

I only seem to be able to add them as attachment files???? And they don't seem to show on the preview?

:roll:
    (Got the smiley thing working though.)

added as attachment filed, and no they do not show in the preview, they also don't always show up in the right order if you try to add more than one to a post

• edited February 2013

Righty-ho...here goes :o)

I used one of Horo's HDRi's (Copper Kettle, I think) to work around a sword model I was playing with when I started to waste entire Sundays playing with Bryce. I hope this is a couple of Jpegs below...:o)

I made the sword, by the way...:o)

Excalibur_hilt_01.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 46K
    Excalibur_Dark01.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 228K
    Excalibur01.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 30K
    Post edited by projectariel_877202f4b6 on
    edited February 2013

@Bob About - great to see you here! Bring things just forward. The best thing about Bryce is its community. We share what we know. We try hard to give constructive criticism because we want the community to grow, not to show that we are smarter than anybody else. Not everybody here is an artist (I for example) but there are very gifted artists sticking around. Bryce is fun and can be used for almost any sort of visual art, limited only by your imagination (well, and a bit by your experience of Bryce). Your swords look great, that Sunday wasn't wasted at all. And yes, this could to be an HDRI I made, but I never made one called "Copper Kettle". But this is not important, the result counts.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

I can see swords!!!!. Very nice they are too.
    Now you need to make a mightier pen.

edited February 2013

@electro-elvis - that came out very well!

@StuartB4 - good work, I like it. To get a wet look, use specularity. You might have to make specular halo a bit brighter and also move up specular in the Sky Lab, if you use the sun as main light. Blending picture backdrops with a scene is not always simple but you made a good job of it. In fact, I was fooled and thought you made really nice clouds.

Post edited by Horo on
  • edited February 2013

Okay, I don't feel so shy now... :o) (Encouragement from the mighty Horo works wonders)

This is an amulet I was working on....basic materials, a volumetric sphere in the centre piece, Again, I spent far to much time that I should have been spending with my family on the lighting, but I'm becoming an addict...what can I say! Bryce has so much potential, and with a little Photoshop, and post render amalgamation, it has massive uses a a pro tool. I really do find that I am only limited by my familiarity with the software, and my imagination.

Amulet03a.jpg
    1114 x 859 - 357K
    Post edited by projectariel_877202f4b6 on
    edited December 1969

@Horo-

@StuartB4 - good work, I like it. To get a wet look, use specularity. You might have to make specular halo a bit brighter and also move up specular in the Sky Lab, if you use the sun as main light. Blending picture backdrops with a scene is not always simple but you made a good job of it. In fact, I was fooled and thought you made really nice clouds.

Thanks Horo. I used the 2D flat plane object on top of the floor slabs and gave it a water material. Just didn't get it quite right.
    The slabs are a picture loaded in to a terrain editor and then flattened right down so there is still a little bit of a bumpy texture.
    What looks like sand near the bucket and spade is actually the terrain bumps showing through the 2D water plane.

I did originally try wet table tops as well but didn't like the look I got, they just looked like mirrors.

Sigh....Still learning.

This discussion has been closed.