• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2017

Stezza - Get Well Soon!!

And my votes (difficult as ever to choose!):

#7  "Advance" by Bytescapes
    #8  "Eureka Stockade" by Stezza
    #13 "Son of Nial of The Nine Hostages" by Headwax
    HM  #12  "Mutual Extinction" by MistyMist

but my goodness, there were plenty of other images that deserve votes too!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Get well soon Stezza!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Hope you are well and home soon Stezza, take care!!

As per usual, very tough to choose, all images look fantastic!
    Here it goes though:

1 - #14
    2 - #4
    3 - #8
    HM - #3

Many great dynamic compositions everyone. Keep on with the Carrara awesomeness.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Stezza

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:
    Hey, Cararians , I'm in hospital posting using my phone, sorry I can't vote as I can't see the entries and at this stage I don't know when I'll be out.. Good luck and we'll catch up soon. Auto spell is pita!

Ahh, the sympathy vote.  You Aussies know every trick in the book.smiley

More seriously, get well quickly.  You are missed.  In my short time here, I have come to look forward to your comments, artwork, and sense of humor.

My votes:

#8  "Eureka Stockade" by Stezza - no sympathy vote here.  The poses alone sold me.

#7  "Advance" by Bytescapes - so slick.  Could easily be a video game promo.

#13 "Son of Nial of The Nine Hostages" by Headwax - a richness that is hard to quantify.

HM - almost anything by Diomede.  He pushes the envelope regularly.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes not, but it is always interesting.  If I ever get to his level, I will be very happy.

• Wow these are all amazing! Great job everyone!

After much thought I think I will go with:

#1 Entry: #2 Faeries at War
    #2 Entry #7  Final Advance
    #3 Entry: #3 Against the Temple of Evil

HM: Entry: #8 Eureka Stockade

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,830

All the images are amazing. But the three that stood out for me in the end were probably:

#3 "Against the Temple of Evil" by Mark D. Olsen

#10 "Mind controlling bone fish" by Stezza

#13 "Son of Nial of The Nine Hostages" by Headwax

HM #4 "Cyclopstritch Cavalry Charge" by Diomede

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

You wouldn't believe it but I've been giving computer instruction to fellow sick patients in my ward lol

One patient got his wife to bring in his laptop and dongle so I could teach him, he is about 70yo I think..

anyways thanks for the well wishes and while I have a chance if I'm not to late

Entry: #4
    Title:  Cyclopstritch Cavalry Charge

Artist:  Diomede

Entry: 6
    Title: Attack at the Ostrich Farm

Artist: Varsel

Entry #7

Final Advance
    Artist: Bytescapes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

#8  "Eureka Stockade" by Stezza -

#7  "Final Advance" by Bytescapes 

#4 Title:  Cyclopstritch Cavalry Charge   Artist:  Diomede

HM to 

Entry # 5

Title - Against the Odds

Artist - IceDragonArt

what a great and pro challenge this was, love the work!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

#7 - Bytescapes - Final Advance

#10 - Stezza - Mind Controlling Bone Fish

#13 - Head Wax - Son of Nial of the Nine Hostages

HM - #15 - diomede - Tribute to Operation Market Garden

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Here are my votes, for this challenge.

Entry: #2
    Title: Faeries at War
    Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)

Entry: #8
    Title: Eureka Stockade
    Artist:Stezza

Entry #13
    Title: Son of Nial of The Nine Hostages
    Artist: Headwax

And HM for

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411
    edited January 2017

I know I’m too late for the contest. I missed the deadlinesad. But I want to show the picture anyway. Technical details will be in WIP.

The scene is the climax of an immunological war. The pink rods are bacteria, the bluish cells are leukocytes. The largest leukocytes at foreground are macrophages ingesting bacteria. Some of them are dissolving.

guerra.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Alberto on

Entry: #2
    Title: Faeries at War
    Artist: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)
    -love fairy lights

-cute Cyclopstritch

Entry #7
    Final Advance
    Artist: Bytescapes
    -like the pov angle

hm
    Entry: #11
    Title: "The Death of Farmer Ned at The Hands of The Runaway Chickens Gang."
    Artist:  Headwax
    -like the gothness, garden of unearthly delights-ish

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Entry #7   Final Advance   Artist: Bytescapes

Entry: #9    Title: Carrarians vs Dazonians    Artist: Stezza

Entry #14    Title: Death of Eric The Lowlander    Artist: Headwax

HM     Entry # 5    Title - Against the Odds    Artist - IceDragonArt

• #7 - Bytescapes - Final Advance

#10 - Stezza - Mind Controlling Bone Fish

#13 - Head Wax - Son of Nial of the Nine Hostages

what is the next challenge theme?

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Friday 23 Dec 2016

Entry Thread Opens: Saturday 10 Jan 2017

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Monday 17 Jan 2017

Voting Ends: Saturday 23 Jan 2017

Is the voting done?  Some of the above dates are out-of-wack.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

This one still needs to be closed out.  Namtar may be busy.

According to my calculations, the artist with the most votes combined for all images submitted, excluding HMs, is Headwax with 15 for the combination of entries 11, 13, and 14. The image with the most individual votes is Bytescapes with 13 for entry number 7.  The image with second most individual votes is a Headwax image with 10 but HW already is first place so no duplicate placement. There are then 3 images with 6 votes each, two by Stezza and one by Diomede.  I'd say Stezza wins the tiebrakers because he has two images with 6 to only one with 6 by Diomede.  Also, Stezza has 14 combined votes for all images to Diomede's 6.  So, by my count

First Place - Headwax

Second Place - Bytescapes

Third Place - Stezza

I've attached a spreadsheet.  Someone please double check that I did not leave out any votes or miscode an entry.

zip
    zip
    zip for war challenge spreadsheet.zip
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

It is so complicated these calculations!
    Why not calculate the points by entries, it would be righter and equitable for those who are not all the day on their computer but who have a regular work outside?

i haz an idea for next challenge, put a band together, musicians, band on the run, tee hee

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    DUDU said:

It is so complicated these calculations!
    Why not calculate the points by entries, it would be righter and equitable for those who are not all the day on their computer but who have a regular work outside?

Agreed.

I also find this form of scoring to be unfair.

It is up to the challenge host how the scoring will occur.  I have no problem with the next host changing the scoring system, or the number of entries permitted, or the admissibility of animations, or the permissibility of postwork, or specifying the image dimensions, or requiring multiple sequential images to tell a story, or limiting the color palette to black and white, or anything else.  Personally, I'd like the voting to be anonymous and for voting to be ranked with 1st place votes being weghted.  I encourage (again) more people to express their views.  But we have a thread dedicated to that discussion.  It is not polite to Headwax to have that discussion in this thread immediately after it was announced that he appears to be the winner (anyone confirmed it yet?).

Please do express your views.  And please read and consider the views of others.  Maybe do so in the following thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/124096/method-of-selecting-1st-3rd-and-hm-place-in-monthly-challenges

edited January 2017

Hi Diomede, thanks for doing the honours :) ! I haven't counted the votes I'm sorry.

Yes the method of voting was c hanged to try and get more entries happening.

I  think it has worked in that regard - but I didn't realise that it was turning people off, my apologies.

When I changed it I did ask people's opinions first, and had no negative responses at the time. 

For me it's all about learning Carrara and passing on what we know to others so we can all do better work.

And learning from others!!!!!

For me It's not about winning at all.

If I was lucky enough to win this one I am very happy to donate my prizes to others who are trying to build up their content library but cannot afford it at the moment. 

Post edited by Headwax on

Diomede, thanks for posting the link.  I had missed that thread.

I too was feeling like the scoring seemed overly complicated, until I read the following post in that thread (from Headwax by a strange coincidence!).

head wax said:

Well when w e started the challenges (nb not contests ) it was all about getting a sense of community. I think in a lot of ways that has worked. The prizes were another way of attracting people.For the first one  I initially sent a lot of p m s to people and asked them to contribute ... To get the show on the road so to speak. It's all about sharing.

in the past I feel a lot of people have not entered or try not to win, because doing a good job of Hosting is a pita. So the new rule about not having to host is a blessing.

For me the rules as they are work quite well.

eg upto three images

1st is  the person with the most votes forall  their images - this encourages more participation.

2nd is the person with the most votes for a single image

3rd  is the person with the second  most votes for a single image

(with the proviso as has been suggested that a person cannot win two prizes)

The grey area is the HM - which I would prefer was used as an enouragement for a new user.

Of course 'new user' is a hard definition. That has to be in the eye of the voter.

After all, one (not the only)  reason to have these challenges is to show what Carrara can do and so attract new users.

I think if we start getting uppity about the voteing being rigged etc then we are taking ourselves too seriously and should perhaps remove the prizes.

That said, I think an important rule is to have WIPs and to  show the scene within Carrara -  that way we make sure things are really done in Carrara - I'm not at all saying that there have been images that have been done in other programes!

but having a rule like that is a 'makesafe' to avoid the possibility.

Seems reasonable to me, and actually kind of clever.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    MistyMist said:

i haz an idea for next challenge, put a band together, musicians, band on the run, tee hee

Brilliant idea!

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246

I'm sorry again, i was very bussy. (Im still are), voting is now closed. 

Stezza, i hope you get out from hospital soon as possible. Thanks for your work. 

Alberto, your work is amazing, thanks for sharing it. I hope to see you in the next challenge. 

Give me some hours to calculate results, i really need to sleep now. And again, i'm sorry for the errors with dates, i couldn't log in before. 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Ack... I missed the voting!!  I thought it was today for some stupid reason...doh.   Get well soon, Stezza... will watch for next month's challenge. blush Silene

edited February 2017

Namtar3d wrote

I'm sorry again, i was very bussy. (Im still are), voting is now closed. 

no worries, life is allowed to get in the way. 

Post edited by Headwax on

Stezza, Head wax, Bytescapes, and MDO2010, I have sent you a PM.

Thank you Diomede

cheers !