Howies Valle Alpina mega slow on my pc...

petefpetef Posts: 47
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Taking advantage of Howie's sale I bought Valle Alpina, I've already got Maple Meadows, Country Lane and Japan but Valle Alpina
is killing Carrara where the others don't, every thing seems to run so much slower and I have to drop to "bounding box" to even be able to navigate the scene.

I'm running windows 64bit, Dual Hex Core 3.4ghz Xeons (24threads), with 48gb Ram, 1gb Ati 6850 and reading from a 256gb ssd, I'm thinking of ug to a Ati 7950 which has a lot more stream processors but with everything else running ok has anyone else had any issues.

FWIW it'll be me and not Valle Alpina I imagine because EVERYTHING that Howie creates simply blows me away.

Thanks

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I have different issues with Valle Alpina (long story). However, I noticed that it does appear to be much "heavier" than Howie's past scenes.

My system is similar to your's in horsepower too.

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Are you even able to navigate through it at all, what GPU do you use Garstor.

edited December 1969

petef said:
    Are you even able to navigate through it at all, what GPU do you use Garstor.

I haven't tried navigating. My video card is an nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

The "long story" of my Valle Alpina issue is that I open the scene, click one of the pre-saved camera positions and render...but the rendered image is not what the Assembly Room shows. It is like the camera has gotten lost in the forest.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

I had to use wire frame or bounding box view to move the camera
    it is very much a resource hog

edited December 1969

Off to bed now 12:32am UK time, I think that I had the same issue but I stopped the render, was going to try it again just now but waiting 20mins for "Filling Grid"
    I've given up for tonight, need to find out what "filling grid" is now..... :-)

Thanks again Garstor.

edited December 1969

petef said:
    I've given up for tonight, need to find out what "filling grid" is now..... :-)

Thanks again Garstor.

I believe that "filling grid" are the replicators at work...and you can replicate replicators...

edited December 1969

filling grid is the replication at work
    in this scene it usually does it at 3 points per frame
    I rendered a 53 frame slide show I might upload of a watered down lighting version I might upload to youtube soon and that is what took the time each frame.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure that Filling Grid is only for the replicators as I've had it appear in scenes without replicators and duplicate objects. I suspect it might be to do with how complicated the scene is and where stuff is in 3D space. If it's a simple scene it probably whips right through it with no effort, but if you have a scene with complex lighting, lots of replicated objects, or objects with heavy geometry then in my experience you'll get the Grid progress bar. Again, it's just my personal theory based solely on my own observations.

Regarding the Howie scene, there are some things the OP could try. I don't know what effect it will have on a 64 bit system and a 64 bit version of Carrara, but an old standby is to go to the Imaging and Scratch Disk preferences and turn down the Texture spooling as low as you can go, but not off. For your average scene, it may not matter at all on the new systems, but Howie's newest scene is a big scene and depending on how many master shaders there are in the scene, it could be a factor.

Most of the issue is probably the video card. Carrara uses OpenGL for the display. To ease the load on the card, find the icon with the up arrow surrounded by a circle at the top of the Assembly Room window. This is the interactive renderer. It will only effect the display, not the final render, so it's okay to tweak to your heart's desire without screwing up the final image.

Using the Interactive Renderer, try lowering the default texture map size from 2048 to something more reasonable. With Howie's scene, it might be best to go with 64. ;-) The other settings that could help is to turn off Transparency and Reflection. It is important to note that these settings are scene based and have to be set for each individual scene. They will be saved within the scene, so you don't need to set them the next time you open the scene.

Picture_3.png
    461 x 599 - 89K
    Picture_2.png
    177 x 37 - 7K
    Picture_1.png
    371 x 349 - 36K
    edited December 1969

did a slideshow but my camera very off too!

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone, Id already messed with the IRS wendycatz but didn't know about the texture spooling, tried it and it seems to have made a little difference,
    I think I'll order a Radeon 7950 it's got over twice the stream processors so it'll be interesting to see if that will allow the sort of interactivity that
    you see in all Howie's other scenes.

Odd issue btw with the camera placement.

edited December 1969

petef said:
    Odd issue btw with the camera placement.

Very odd. Wendy sees this problem and I see it but you do not? You render (presumably) what the camera "sees" in the Assembly Room -- I say "presumably" because the original issue in this thread suggests that you have yet to successfully render Valle Alpina. You might be in for a double-disappointment; waiting hours only to find you didn't get what you expected! :down:

edited December 1969

Garstor, nope I get the tree's as well, going to have another mess around with it later hopeful the 7950 when it lands might make a difference. :-/

edited December 1969

petef said:
    Garstor, nope I get the tree's as well, going to have another mess around with it later hopeful the 7950 when it lands might make a difference. :-/

I wouldn't expect the video card to make any difference -- except maybe you complete the render faster but still not see what you should.

At this point I am tempted to PM HowieFarkes to get some insight into what could be wrong. At first I thought it was just me...but that is clearly not the case now.

edited January 2013

I'll let you know when it arrives, but the spec is much higher than my current card so fingers crossed, it wont though make any difference
    re the final rendering though, GPU rendering in Carrara would be interesting...

Core Clock Memory Clock Memory Interface Memory Transfer Rate Pixels per clock
    3gb :-)
    Radeon HD 7950 800 MHz 5 GHz 384-bit 240 GB/s 1,792

(current card)
    1gb
    Radeon HD 6850 775 MHz 4 GHz 256-bit 128 GB/s 960

Post edited by petef on
    edited January 2013

I ised a wide angle camera though and had movement before and after default scene so some tweening may have come into play so cannot really say if it is simply the default that is out.
    the default scene with the camera altered to 90degrees and replaced with a zoomed spherical looks like this

alpine_river.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 850K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Graphics cards are for games. They have little to do with how carrara operates, and nothing to do with rendering.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    petef said:

I wouldn't expect the video card to make any difference -- except maybe you complete the render faster but still not see what you should.

At this point I am tempted to PM HowieFarkes to get some insight into what could be wrong. At first I thought it was just me...but that is clearly not the case now.

The video card will make absolutely no difference for rendering as the renderer is CPU based. The Assembly room, Shader room, and modelers' displays are all driven by OpenGL. As long as the more powerful card supports OpenGL, it could make a difference in performance in the above mentioned areas.

edited December 1969

Stan / evil;

Thanks. I had strongly suspected that Carrara would be mostly CPU-bound. I think LightWave isn't...it can use GPUs...which is why I may consider an upgrade.

Of course, now that I am starting to use these powerhouse beast servers for my day job...I may have to build yet another beast for my 3D stuff... [SIGH] And so it goes...

edited January 2013

Carrara is 100% cpu rendering but engines like octane and other non biased renderer's that are available are the ones taking advantage of low cost GPU's.

With my own system (sim to yours garstor) I doubt id see a benefit from gpu rendering but from a screen re-draw preview point Id hope a 3gb Frame buffer and the extra bandwidth a high end game card provides it should provide an even smother performance than my "old" 6850 1gb card, a lot of 3d workstation providers are going with the 3gb high end "gamer" cards as apposed to the slower but double the price professional graphics cards that are available.

Post edited by petef on
    edited December 1969

Garstor the 7950 arrived and has made some difference I can now move around the scene with everything on the lowest setting,
    but it still jerks around to much you end up either under the scene or somewhere random, its simply impossible to navigate to a place
    with any precision at all.

In the Japan scene Ive upped everything to full detail in the interactive render settings, full textures etc and I can navigate in real time
    so something is going on somewhere me thinks, poss a bug in Carrara maybe.

The stats for both scene's also are telling, the Valle Alpina scene is half the size.....

Japan Valle Alpina
    Objects 279 111
    Lights 2 2
    Master Objects 120 54
    Master Shaders 67 27
    Texture Map surface 7074x7074 2994x2994
    Memory 190.92 34.22

edited December 1969

Valle Alpina may have some other factors that don't show up in the general scene stats in the render room. For instance, it uses functions only available in Carrara 8 and upward, according to a post I saw by Howie and the product page. What the functions are, I don't know.

edited December 1969

evilproduce, I'm the current running 8.1 version, tried it in 8.5 beta also and the same sort of speed issues, all I can think is that its something very specific as its only with this one scene that their are any issues, I wonder what those functions are also...

edited December 1969

I don't have C8, so I can't look, but off the top of my head, for changes to the environmental settings I know Sun Beams were added. Maybe some new shader function was used?

Ooh! I just had a thought! How high are the terrain settings cranked up? In the terrain editor, are the preview settings the same as the render settings? You can turn down the preview settings, this can speed things up quite a bit in the Assembly room, but there's a chance that things will appear to float above the terrain or sink into it. This is only an assembly room illusion due to a lower preview setting.

Picture_1.png
    482 x 118 - 12K
    edited December 1969

Tried your suggestion Evilproducer but made no difference good idea though, going through the scene if I switch of visibility for "River Stones 2" and "Stream side grass" replicators then I'm back up to full speed and its the possible to place the camera fine, SO its down to those pesky instances. With both the stones and the grass were talking a lot of geometry but as instances that shouldn't make a difference I thought.:smirk:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions to this thread its been appreciated.:-)

edited January 2013

new issue not many will notice

adding wind and rustle to all the trees breaks them up, the spruce tips seperate from the bases.

do not expect many would be animating it using wind and rustle, I was doing a 12 frame 360 loop.

alpine_series000.jpg
    1225 x 248 - 103K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

new issue not many will notice

adding wind and rustle to all the trees breaks them up, the spruce tips seperate from the bases.

do not expect many would be animating it using wind and rustle, I was doing a 12 frame 360 loop.

My guess is that it's the way Howie built the trees. My suggestion is that since the trees in the distance won't really be visible rustling in the wind, take some trees that you like, would fit the scene, have had good luck with, and place them in the foreground and just have them rustle in the wind.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Getting the tree issue here as well :/

Anyone found a solution to this yet?

edited December 1969

for the wrong leaves issue?
    lol! use C8.1!

or as I did go through and fix all the trees and resave another version

for rustle and wind? well rustle works but not wind.
    the trees are made of two trees joined together and replicated
    just have to have calm days!!

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well same thing happens on 8.1 as it did in 8.5 so I don't know what else to do expect contact Howie I suppose

edited December 1969

OK I have a Gforce GTX 760 card now and even with only the terrain and river visible in 3D view
    and in wireframe
    moving my newly bought Neuschwantien castle around imposible
    am tearing my hair out I tell you