News about Carrara coming in February according to DAZ

Comments

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Anyone want to bet they abandon .duf and just go with DSON for Carrara?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:

never - DUF all the way

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

...that doesn't change the fact that it works freaking awesome right now, so... who really needs to worry...
    right? Thanks Holly!

This from the guy who was complaining so much about not being able to save your scenes? Yeah, I have the same problem, and it sucks. Which is the opposite of awesome.

And the cloth sucks. Which is the opposite of awesome. You can't even have the slightest bit of morph action or motion of collision objects.

Wanna go down the list?

Won't make any difference. It's all awesome, right? Absolutely!
    Awesome = Carrara.
    Soft dynamics on figures? Never really was known for that, and I've heard that many folks like the way the soft-body physics works without a figure involved. I did some pretty inventive things, however, with the soft-body engine in Poser 5. Just the ability for Carrara to then open and use those dynamics is... well, quite frankly, AWESOME!

Oh but with imagination and vision of what you really want from the soft-body, you can actually perform some pretty intense morphs for just that. This is one of the driving forces that led me to buy Carrara in the first place. And Carrara does it well.

edited December 1969

Studio (along with the DSON Importer for Poser) was updated this week; not that that's any comfort to Carrara users, I know.

It's news... We were told it would be in that order so if there is progress with Poser then it is news....

Once this is all over maybe there will be more effort to keep things in sync.... It's a bummer that we are last but someone has to be last. It's a sign that DAZ is being a little more deliberate with development...

I'm guessing that we are not going to get any untied bugs fixed at this point. They have to focus on Genesis and the database thing. It's possible that there is a private beta now that is a newer version....

I wonder if Genesis will be updated again? that would actually put us 4th in line....Well, I bet the 'place in line' for us is simply due to the fact that they are still in the process of 8.5 compatibility with Daz Studio/Genesis. They need to iron that all out first so that they can finish the work in Carrara.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Absolutely!
    Awesome = Carrara.
    well, quite frankly, AWESOME!

Okay...and so just to be sure we're on the same page...

The definition of "awesome" is "something which inspires awe". Y'know, like the first time you look out on the Grand Canyon and it takes your breath away. Stuff like that.

And Carrara, which presently fails to even save some of your scenes, and its new cloth sim doesn't even work as well as what Poser was doing decades ago, and is decades behind the times in countless other areas, is "awesome".

For some reason I have this vision of you driving down the road in a beat up 1963 Buick, with one flat tire, broken windows, smoke belching out the exhaust, and you're leaning out the window with a huge smile and flashing a big THUMBS UP !!! It's AWESOME !!!

:)

edited December 1969

Absolutely!
    Awesome = Carrara.

The definition of "awesome" is "something which inspires awe". Y'know, like the first time you look out on the Grand Canyon and it takes your breath away. Stuff like that.

And Carrara, which presently fails to even save some of your scenes, and its new cloth sim doesn't even work as well as what Poser was doing decades ago, and is decades behind the times in countless other areas, is "awesome".

For some reason I have this vision of you driving down the road in a beat up 1963 Buick, with one flat tire, broken windows, smoke belching out the exhaust, and you're leaning out the window with a huge smile and flashing a big THUMBS UP !!! It's AWESOME !!!

you don't like Buick :P

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,966
    edited January 2013

For some reason I have this vision of you driving down the road in a beat up 1963 Buick, with one flat tire, broken windows, smoke belching out the exhaust, and you’re leaning out the window with a huge smile and flashing a big THUMBS UP !!! It’s AWESOME !!!

Heh, heh Joe you made me laugh.

I know it's not true though cause Dartanbeck would never drive past and not offer you a lift, doesn't matter how bad his car(arra) was.

Mind you. most things are better than walking ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Kodiak3D said:

never - DUF all the way

DSON is the format, or "language", a variant of the standard JSON, while .duf and .dsf are the extensions for the files that use it. So that isn't a valid distinction - using DSON and using .duf are the same thing.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Kodiak3D said:

never - DUF all the way

DSON is the format, or "language", a variant of the standard JSON, while .duf and .dsf are the extensions for the files that use it. So that isn't a valid distinction - using DSON and using .duf are the same thing.

you isn't any fun ;-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Kodiak3D said:

never - DUF all the way

Thanks for the correction, Richard. Allow me to rephrase:

Anyone want to bet that DAZ scraps the original ideas they had for using Genesis in Poser and we just end up having to use DSON like Poser does?

edited December 1969

Absolutely!
    Awesome = Carrara.

You sure have me pegged! ;)
    But, just so we're on the same page, here:
    The Carrara that's giving me grief with the file saving issue is a beta version, build 172. After checking the beta thread, I'm now thinking that I may need to regress and install and earlier version. I really like what they've done so far with 8.5 - but that's me.
    Now, on with the awesomeness of Carrara.
    These bells an whistles that keep up with the times are easily found at Autodesk. Everyone knows that! If you want it, you have to subscribe. I say, "Go for it!!" if that's what you want. Myself... screw that!

Carrara does more for my workflow than what those thousands-of-dollar offering can - and I love using it... both of which are... well... Awesome!
    Carrara holds the power to give you what you want - if you want it bad enough. If you have to use other softies to get there, not a big deal. 3d artists should really get used to using a variety of wares anyways. It's what becomes known as your common toolset.
    I enter Carrara and either continue what I was working on, or start something new and I am constantly being rewarded with great results. Carrara is much better at it's job than I am at mine - and it will probably always be that way... since, as many have pointed out above, it is an incredibly robust piece of softy!

However, I can also see where you're coming from - which brings me back to what I said above. Perhaps you miscalculated your intentions and bought the wrong softy? I sure didn't. I did years of research before buying C7 Pro, at a time when C5 Pro would have been Awesome! C8 Pro rocks the freaking boat!

Cheers Joe! :shut:

edited December 1969

Back on topic a bit, my wishful hope is that Daz will come on an explain their delay. That's it. I hope that they don't give up.
    Time are really hard on many, right now - especially retail. I just hope that they're not thinking of pulling the pin and giving up on Carrara development - or even selling to an energetic softy house wanting to add it to their arsenal. I think that the Daz Devs know enough about what they're doing to keep this baby where it needs to be. Some of the stuff "we" ask for is just plain difficult to program. Not making excuses, but really. Some of the features that Carrara doesn't already have, but we want, might take such gobs of resource time that it just isn't practical to add for "this next" version - whichever that may be. That's not to say that one of the devs doesn't have a working liquids generator in Alpha stage on his desktop, and/or volumetric rain on hers. Just because we haven't seen or heard about it doesn't mean that they are incapable of making it happen.

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

With the current "Live Like Platinum" promotion Daz are doing deals on Carrara and GO-Z so they would be on
    VERY dodgy ground should they be planning only weeks later to drop it.

Wish I had the £400 for Zbrush now :smirk:

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-3d?compat_software=30

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

petef said:
    With the current "Live Like Platinum" promotion Daz are doing deals on Carrara and GO-Z so they would be on

Hmmm, GRID is onsale... How many rendernodes do I get without GRID? I never remember, It's so confusing....
    edited December 1969

petef said:
    Thanks for that. Feel better already. Back to my '63 Buick and head to town.
    Me too!
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited January 2013

petef said:

Hmm...Hexagon and Bryce aren't free anymore, huh? Didn't realize that was going to end...but then again, they aren't really expensive.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that. Feel better already. Back to my '63 Buick and head to town.

Hey Dart, you're "it" this week! have fun!

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited January 2013

NM

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I know there was a limit on physical machines, but I also seem to remember reading on the old forums there may be a core limit as well, though that I'm a bit more foggy on.

edited January 2013

BTW, I apologize to Dartanbeck if he took this as an attack, like others seemed to. It wasn't intended as that, just a bit of ribbing at his tendency to exaggerate a bit. That's not a bad thing, and I'm sure he'd agree he tends to go a bit overboard (which I think he has previously alluded to, also jokingly).

Anyway, in the future I'll try to limit my attempts at joking. Again, I apologize.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Like Wendy, my Birthday is in February.
    Sure would be cool if Daz has some great news for us!!!

edited December 1969

Until recently, I've always been seen driving my $500 or less, falling apart at the seams, beater-mobile. One was an old, rusted out '64 Pontiac with a two-speed automatic tranny matched with a big-block 8. Loved that car! It was AWESOME!!!

By the way, when you're talking about some of those old 60's cars, then yeah, I'd agree, some were AWESOME!!!

You reminded me of an old 67 (or 68...) Olds Delmont 88 I had that I just loved. Those were only produced for a couple of years as I recall, but that thing was awesome. Big ol' V8 engine, and the engine compartment was huge, not all of that emissions stuff you have nowadays, and you could climb in their and check the timing and pull the plugs and all that cool stuff.

Nowadays I just open the hood, scratch my head, and bring it to the local mechanic.

Geez, am I becoming one of those "...ahh, those were the days" guys?? :)

edited December 1969

Until recently, I've always been seen driving my $500 or less, falling apart at the seams, beater-mobile. One was an old, rusted out '64 Pontiac with a two-speed automatic tranny matched with a big-block 8. Loved that car! It was AWESOME!!!

By the way, when you're talking about some of those old 60's cars, then yeah, I'd agree, some were AWESOME!!!

You reminded me of an old 67 (or 68...) Olds Delmont 88 I had that I just loved. Those were only produced for a couple of years as I recall, but that thing was awesome. Big ol' V8 engine, and the engine compartment was huge, not all of that emissions stuff you have nowadays, and you could climb in their and check the timing and pull the plugs and all that cool stuff.

Nowadays I just open the hood, scratch my head, and bring it to the local mechanic.

Geez, am I becoming one of those "...ahh, those were the days" guys?? :)Ahhhh... Those were the days! :coolsmirk:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413
    edited December 1969

A number of posts have been removed. Once again, if you think a post is objectionable report it - if it isn't bad enough to report, ignore it. We do require that members keep the tone civil - especially when discussing fraught issues.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

petef said:

Hmmm, GRID is onsale... How many rendernodes do I get without GRID? I never remember, It's so confusing....

It is very simple:

RENDER NODE
    Render Node provides 10 nodes and 20 CPUs out of the Box.

Grid offers up to 50 nodes and up to 100 CPUs. Additional GRID licenses further increase the maximum count by 50/100.

But both should be updated since modern medium priced PCs now run 8 cores (though both AMD and Intel are faking half of them).

edited January 2013

That's cool!
    I can't wait to get my own cpu room and have Grid! I drooled at that add since I've first owned C Pro.

...and by the way, just to help illustrate what I meant earlier.
    Aside from some simple jpg maps for height and placement, and the ability to do everything in Carrara, with 0% postwork, and really low (and very fast!!!!) render settings. I created all of the models using very simple techniques available in Carrara, built all of the textures from within Carrara and are all procedural. Anything that can move in an animation gets locals, everything else global. Water is amazing and uses the ocean primitive with really good animation settings - 'cause I animate. That's my thing. But for stills, you can just run the timeline and take your shot. Both images are the same scene, different cameras. Very simple setup.
    Awesome!

WFSL2_Storm1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 465K
    WFSL1_Storm1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 569K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Both cameras face each other - the central spot being the central opening in the center of the top image, and just beyond the ridge in the center of the lower pic.

edited December 1969

Dude, imagine this now.
    I animate, right? So with Carrara being as Awesome as it is, I can (all within Carrara!) shoot a 360 degree spherical animated shot and use the resulting render as my (now animated) surroundings, enabling my to shoot the high res on my focal scene. Add in the ability, if I wanted to, to use true HDRI to set illumination of the scene.
    What did I say?
    Awesome!

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

That's cool!
    I can't wait to get my own cpu room and have Grid! I drooled at that add since I've first owned C Pro.

...and by the way, just to help illustrate what I meant earlier.
    Aside from some simple jpg maps for height and placement, and the ability to do everything in Carrara, with 0% postwork, and really low (and very fast!!!!) render settings. I created all of the models using very simple techniques available in Carrara, built all of the textures from within Carrara and are all procedural. Anything that can move in an animation gets locals, everything else global. Water is amazing and uses the ocean primitive with really good animation settings - 'cause I animate. That's my thing. But for stills, you can just run the timeline and take your shot. Both images are the same scene, different cameras. Very simple setup.
    Awesome!

awesome pictures. the scenes look incredible.

edited December 1969

Those are beautiful, Dart. Really beautiful.