News about Carrara coming in February according to DAZ

13»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited December 1969

yes Dartanbeck, you are awesome!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,966
    edited December 1969

Yes even with your crappy old car Dartanbeck, your are oarsome!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Whoa...
    Thanks folks!
    It's just me and my Carrara, is all...
    Shucks :red:
    I'm all inspired now. I just set my cores to the task of animating the background. Never did it before.
    Carrara's capability of easily handling large amounts of stuff, I usually just build the scene and animate. This is going to make life awesome! Additionally, I'd just like to add that I find lighting scenes much easier and more flexible in Carrara than anything else. The possibilities are enormous - with all the render/lighting/atmosphere/volumetrics/motion blurring, depth perceptive camers... it's really hard NOT to achieve what you want, the way you want it.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That's cool!
    I can't wait to get my own cpu room and have Grid! I drooled at that add since I've first owned C Pro.

...and by the way, just to help illustrate what I meant earlier.
    Aside from some simple jpg maps for height and placement, and the ability to do everything in Carrara, with 0% postwork, and really low (and very fast!!!!) render settings. I created all of the models using very simple techniques available in Carrara, built all of the textures from within Carrara and are all procedural. Anything that can move in an animation gets locals, everything else global. Water is amazing and uses the ocean primitive with really good animation settings - 'cause I animate. That's my thing. But for stills, you can just run the timeline and take your shot. Both images are the same scene, different cameras. Very simple setup.
    Awesome!

Freaking. Amazing. :bug: :bug: :bug:

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

Well my only hope is this. I hope that they continue to move in the directions they are. I want to upgrade to a version that has Genesis. I havn't even used Carrara in years now but have 8 Pro still. The Genesis equation is the only thing stopping me from using it again. I am a Poser user and now a DAZ Studio user, Carrara remains on the back burner only because of that factI also have Vue but I only got Genesis into it once....Laptops are pretty unstable...lol.

edited December 1969

Well my only hope is this. I hope that they continue to move in the directions they are. I want to upgrade to a version that has Genesis. I havn't even used Carrara in years now but have 8 Pro still. The Genesis equation is the only thing stopping me from using it again. I am a Poser user and now a DAZ Studio user, Carrara remains on the back burner only because of that factI also have Vue but I only got Genesis into it once....Laptops are pretty unstable...lol.
    I agree. Carrara has been going in a good direction as long as Daz has owned it, in my opinion. I just hope that they keep it, and keep pushing it forward as they have. Genesis in Carrara is going to be a huge asset for Carrara and its users.
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree. Carrara has been going in a good direction as long as Daz has owned it, in my opinion. I just hope that they keep it, and keep pushing it forward as they have. Genesis in Carrara is going to be a huge asset for Carrara and its users.

Hope you don't mind if I disagree with your opinion. DAZ has done little more then turned carrara in to a glorified Studio. If I wanted to be using studio I would be. The more DAZ works on making it more like studio, the less I like it. I want a CG app for doing soft-body, dynamic cloth, and hair. Not something that is designed to sell me content.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

I just gave Genesis another try in DS (and a little in Poser/Carrara, but I figure DS is the best for Genesis at the moment) for a 3 day focus (bought v5, bought some other stuff) and I cant get past the suction clothes, when converting clothes or morphing a character.

That being said...if 75% development is on Genesis in Carrara, and 25% development is Carrara features....then I am glad that there is at least a plan for future development.

If not, then sell or open-source it. :)

Since this is an "announcement", I think its very unlikely that it will be related to development, unless it is either end-of-life, or selling it. Otherwise, my guess is that it goes free. This eliminates the obligation for development...like it or not.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

They can't open source it due to licensing issues. I doubt they'll sell it to another company. You'd have to find someone willing to buy it and spend the money to develop and support it. In this day and age, I highly doubt it. And it probably won't be free, unless it's for a limited time, as they are selling Bryce and Hexagon again in the store - they are no longer free. Cheap, but still selling them for about $20 pre-discount.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

They can't open source it due to licensing issues. I doubt they'll sell it to another company. You'd have to find someone willing to buy it and spend the money to develop and support it. In this day and age, I highly doubt it. ....

why not? only think of the advantages to enter the carrara source code for softwares like iclone or simlab to enhance their functionalities or tools, like actually has been made by daz in recent years to improve DS imo. I'd like to know a sale price indeed

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2013

Starting from two solid data points - "Development of Carrara 8.5 is taking a long time" and "DAZ will say something about it in February" - we seem to have leapt to a great deal of speculation, including "Carrara is doomed!" and "DAZ might/won't/can't/should sell Carrara".

If I had to guess, I'd say that DAZ is quite well aware that they have an excellent, popular tool and that the eventual announcement will turn out to be something like "We're short-staffed, so we've had to put resources on other projects. However, we remain committed to continuing Carrara development. Watch this space for more announcements." That is, however, just my own speculation.

Oh, and by the way, Dartanbeck's landscape scenes are awesome: just one more reason why I hope the doomsayers are wrong, and that the final announcement will turn out to be something like the one I suggested above.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The doomsayers also have several other threads they use, so please don't hijack this one.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The doomsayers also have several other threads they use, so please don't hijack this one.

No they were locked by the mods.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,917
    edited December 1969

Keep it civil guys.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Keep it civil guys.

Seems civil enough at the moment.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,917
    edited December 1969

This is what I'm referring to before it gets out of hand and this thread gets locked

edited December 1969

I think that daz guys do their best to improve their software but for obvious reasons have to focus on ds so carrara has been neglected a little; in the last months daz pushed hard on the sale of models I suppose because in the field of 3D software there is a very tough competition with substantial investments. Without a specific vocation, which could be even given by genesis plus an unbiased interactive renderer, carrara cannot compete for a long time: this means its price lower and lower and its development slower and slower.
    at daz they know tha so let's see what their policies are going to be in the near future. As for me my heart is crying to see carrara, to which I have devoted so many pleasant hours, being so "static". reminds me of a bird with broken wings while all other keep flying

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Keep it civil guys.

Seems civil enough at the moment.

It really does.
    Let's keep the thread locking to a minimum, as it is unecessary and annoying.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

I think that daz guys do their best to improve their software but for obvious reasons have to focus on ds so carrara has been neglected a little; in the last months daz pushed hard on the sale of models I suppose because in the field of 3D software there is a very tough competition with substantial investments. Without a specific vocation, which could be even given by genesis plus an unbiased interactive renderer, carrara cannot compete for a long time: this means its price lower and lower and its development slower and slower.
    at daz they know tha so let's see what their policies are going to be in the near future. As for me my heart is crying to see carrara, to which I have devoted so many pleasant hours, being so "static". reminds me of a bird with broken wings while all other keep flying

If people like you keep putting out great content, there will be a future for Carrara.
    Carrara isn't all it could be, but it IS my favourite software (C7Pro).

edited December 1969

thank you tsarist
    carrara doesn't need PAs, it urgently calls for guys like Fenric, Chaplier, Winemiller, Rible, Brianorca etc who must be working with the consciousness that daz is going to have a well defined project for carrara. if you look at daz YT channel you'll find interesting data: the C8 promo has been watched by more than 100000 fans and all the numbers about videos are comparable to that of DS (average views around 15-20000), so Carrara is alive and at Daz they cannot fail to be aware of this: they have to make a decision before this "asset" is vanishing after 2 years. what commercial company may afford a stupid decision like dismiss carrara development? as for me I'm going to wait: in my plans there is also an animation project about the blessed Mary to be made in carrara as first choice, but Blender is lurking around

edited December 1969

thank you tsarist
    carrara doesn't need PAs, it urgently calls for guys like Fenric, Chaplier, Winemiller, Rible, Brianorca etc
    As much as Carrara truly NEEDs these coders to keep up their super-awesome endeavors, I agree with tsarist and the fact that we really need to get more variety into the store in the Carrara product range. Time to sharpen your pencil, my friend!
    edited December 1969

thank you tsarist
    carrara doesn't need PAs, it urgently calls for guys like Fenric, Chaplier, Winemiller, Rible, Brianorca etc
    As much as Carrara truly NEEDs these coders to keep up their super-awesome endeavors, I agree with tsarist and the fact that we really need to get more variety into the store in the Carrara product range. Time to sharpen your pencil, my friend!

Hi DB you are a truly valuable resource for carrarists; I have a plenty of ideas almost ready to roll but daz inanity towards carrara is disappointing me a lot. I'm going to wait til february and see if there will be respect for all of us

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Hi DB you are a truly valuable resource for carrarists; I have a plenty of ideas almost ready to roll but daz inanity towards carrara is disappointing me a lot. I'm going to wait til february and see if there will be respect for all of us

Dartanbeck's enthusiasm is contagious! I'm hoping for some uplifting news in a couple of weeks.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you tsarist
    Are you proposing a community drive to submit Carrara items to the DAZ store?
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Dartanbeck's enthusiasm is contagious! I'm hoping for some uplifting news in a couple of weeks.

So am I; I am sure what has been said here and in other threads as well is pushing a severe reflection in daz stakeholders/decision makers