New Carrara Promo Reel

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Well... I need to get in gear and make my simple animation.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

ready to roll.. but the reel "cui prodest"? carrara is already on the elephant path that leads to the Isle of Mists

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ready to roll.. but the reel "cui prodest"? carrara is already on the elephant path that leads to the Isle of Mists

is that in skellige?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

make a playlist?

Mistara said:

is that in skellige?

hope not, level too difficult to stay alive

edited August 2017

new Vray showreel 2017 is out 

Foundry?

kwddemoreel

Post edited by Mistara on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

When you look at these and then look at what most people produce with Carrara, it is pretty humbling really...  I know that many of these clips are from movies and would have cost many thousands for a short clip, not to mention the huge numbers of man-hours that went into the making of them, but still, it is difficult to compete with the sheer visual impact.

that luxus core was looking pretty nice.

octane plug in wont work for me it's activation online only s/w.

using the ambient with sky color looks good.  

the part in the vray reel with the girl's hair bouncing, was like woww.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

And the bar goes up another notch.

Just love all this stuff - utterly awesome, and one of the reasons I try to go to the movies at least once a week. Seeing these films on a 50ft or 80ft screen just blows me away. cool

Misty,  I could swear that both of those use a combo of real world and CGI.  The girl with bouncing hair, going up steps, near the beginning looks real to me.

freeze framed her smiley

freezeframe.JPG
    1153 x 662 - 78K

the difference is not in the renderer but rather in short shooting with a lot of post production and vfx

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Also good to see some realistic animated characters (humans and creatures) in a promo reel.  Apparently, not everyone is afraid of showing them.smiley

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited August 2017

Somehow I never saw this thread before. I want to contribute too   :)  That promo vid from 2008 really was something, got me in a good mood!  Carrara really is pretty dang fantastic, and doesn't get the respect it should.   What was the agreed upon Aspect ratio we should be using for clips?  And I guess render size too, was that discussed?  

I'm no good at modeling, but I do think any promo reel should include some speeded-up clips showing the use of various modelers in Carrara  (hey maybe I could do a clip of modeling hair, I know that tool pretty ok at least), as well as speeded-up views of using daz content in the assembly room, also 3d painting etc...  Maybe we cajole Mmoir into doing a speeded-up capture of him modeling?  I got the modeling tutorial of his from the store and it was amazing watching him work, he's so fast.

BTW when it comes to realism, I really believe magaremoto can seriously compete with anything else I've seen from pros using much more expensive software than Carrara.  The guy is a total wizard who's just on another level.   Would love to know his settings and how he achieves those strikingly real results for skin.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited August 2017

Yeah, that 2008 promo was awesome.  Reminded me of the joy of Carrara.

You are right about the Carrara talent still out there, who are capable of creating an even better promo.  I think that the idea is stalling because, for a variety of reasons, there is no single person with animation and video editing skills willing to be the coordinator.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Jonstark,  How about an aspect ratio of 1.50 or 1.78, 16:9, and image size of 720x480 sound?  I think Dartanbeck mentioned 720p.

thanks Jonstark really appreciate your kind words, actually for the skin I usually make a lot of work in pre e post production on maps and results; and some adjustments within carrara editor too

what other tools let to make inside, with carrara we need to use PS or such

@ UnifiedBrain: Danas Anis could be the art director and post production supervisor, while Mark Bremmer the technical one (both coordinators)

but: I wouldn't make the promo to celebrate C8 as a Daz product, they have "neglected" all of us, they don't deserve our efforts

@ UnifiedBrain: Danas Anis could be the art director and post production supervisor, while Mark Bremmer the technical one (both coordinators)

So, are you volunteering these guys? smiley

but: I wouldn't make the promo to celebrate C8 as a Daz product, they have "neglected" all of us, they don't deserve our efforts

The Carrara community has become pretty self-reliant.  I think that more than anything, we do this for ourselves.

edited August 2017

So, are you volunteering these guys? smiley

The Carrara community has become pretty self-reliant.  I think that more than anything, we do this for ourselves.

no deadlines, search for glory and love for carrara (and a punch to daz too), what more to ask for? laugh

Post edited by magaremoto on

I was thinking if we get an agreed upon aspect ratio and preferred video type, any of us could simply render out a little clip or 2 or 3 etc and just post them here in this thread, and then someone who knows what they are doing with video editing software (I admit I'm wholly ignorant of video editing or even what apps would need to be used) could splice whatever clips together with some music under it.  16:9 is motion picture dimensions, right?  I tend to render in that ratio a lot of time for landscape-sized renders, but what's the size that best fits a youtube video?

It would be a no-pressure approach, where any of us could conribute whatever we like (including stuff we already did a while ago, as some of the earlier posters have done and mentioned 'sure use whatever you like of this').   For my part the only videos I've ever done were of modeling and animating dynamic hair in a couple of tutorials, and if any of it can be used please feel free to use it.  Oh I guess I have some really short clips on youtube of using Carrara physics to make dynamic skirts (this was before VWD plugin came out).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited August 2017

I can't post it here But I have a new animation on my Art thread in the art forum completely done in daz studio with iray

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9050/art-animations-by-ivy-summers#latest

Post edited by Ivy on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Ivy said:

I can't post it here But I have a new animation on my Art thread in the art forum completely done in daz studio with iray

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9050/art-animations-by-ivy-summers#latest

haha wrong forum too Ivy

nice as your animations are it would not fit a Carrara promo reel blush

edited August 2017

I know but i have been posting some animations on this thread anyway, because of the lack of a daz animation forum ..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

​Excellent.  Keep posting them.  But probably can't be in a C8 promo if it emerges.

Ivy said:

I know but i have been posting some animations on this thread anyway, because of the lack of a daz animation forum ..lol

I was actually just shooting for people to see what can be done hand keyframing with daz studio.

Jonstark said:

I was thinking if we get an agreed upon aspect ratio and preferred video type, any of us could simply render out a little clip or 2 or 3 etc and just post them here in this thread, and then someone who knows what they are doing with video editing software (I admit I'm wholly ignorant of video editing or even what apps would need to be used) could splice whatever clips together with some music under it.  16:9 is motion picture dimensions, right?  I tend to render in that ratio a lot of time for landscape-sized renders, but what's the size that best fits a youtube video?

(16:9) 1.78 is widescreen video, HDTV.  See PhilW's render settings in my Carrara Animation thread HERE.  Is was in answer to my wondering about size and aspect and some links to converters and examples.  I've been using his lower setting for some time now in my Carrara Challenge entries... when I remember, LOL.

I just checked what mmoir's Animation Club did for Spooky Night... 3DAGE, Dartanbeck and mmoir are credited as Animators in which the size/aspect was 1280x720 at 1:78... also checked the first one "The Final Gesture" and the file size size/aspect was 640x360 at 1.78 for the early animation scenes I have. 

YourTube's "Stats" for nerds, hey... that's me, is...
    Dimensions:640 x 360 * 1.25 aspect ratio... not the original
    Resolution: 854 x 480@30
    Optimal Resolution:854 x 480@30

Jonstark said:

It would be a no-pressure approach, where any of us could conribute whatever we like (including stuff we already did a while ago, as some of the earlier posters have done and mentioned 'sure use whatever you like of this').   For my part the only videos I've ever done were of modeling and animating dynamic hair in a couple of tutorials, and if any of it can be used please feel free to use it.  Oh I guess I have some really short clips on youtube of using Carrara physics to make dynamic skirts (this was before VWD plugin came out).

Looking forward to a speed modeling version for hair. IMO, It would be great to show off some of the tools that folks are not aware of.

Sounds like (16:9) 1.78 is the way to go then  :)  Of course screen capture videos will just depend on the size of the screen being captured I suppose.

That little bit in the 2008 video on 3d painting immediately displayed a side of 3d painting I never thought of, which was to use painting displacement to actually paint scars on a person's face.  That's a pretty nfity idea  :)

Jonstark said:

It sounds good on the surface, but the devil is in the details.devil

A good production will take more than the splicing together of a few nice clips.  A unifying theme and look is also important, IMO.  And assuming that a skilled video editer steps up, and a theme is established, the clips themselves need to be high resolution, or the production will appear to be amateurish.

I may have mentioned something similar before... since Jonstark mentioned Modeling I was wondering if someone like Stezza or Vyusur... anyone who had the recording equipment/software and can model faster than I... could submit their Modeling video.

Picture this... show a video/clip on something else then cut to a portion of their video... fade out/into the next feature or cool artwork segment... fade/out and into a short title "Meanwhile back in the Modeler" fade in Model tutorial where left off... play for a short while then onto next feature or artwork and on and on til the end.  Just an idea... perhaps it's only silly. I've just recently picked up a few programs that would allow compositing and already have some others... none of which I know how to work with super quickly... takes me forever just to edit clips that are the same size then adding a quick fade to black, as in tv/movies, and fade in to next clip.  cool

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited August 2017

The work on something like this is not insignificant. Most vids have and on screen presence rate of about  2 seconds per view. That's a ton of work. .

Fun, but a ton of work. 

Post edited by MarkBremmer on