Central Business District for Carrara - A New Set by PhilW [Commercial]

2»

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Congrats on the new release. I have Carrara, but I'm a Daz Studio user. 

Being more comfortable in the Daz environment, I would like to use your cityscapes inside of Daz.

Is there a workflow that allows that?

Importing an .obj? Or some sort of bridge?

My intention was to ask Daz users how to best take advantage of this release, but then I noticed your thread.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Avxp - thanks for your interest.  I have used a number of Carrara-specific features in doing this set which are difficult to reproduce in Daz Studio. I think it would be possible with some work to get the buildings at least over to DS and I may look at doing a conversion myself at some stage. The street level stuff uses replicators and a plugin called Instance Randonizer that let's you change things like vehicle and lo-res people colours for each instance, and I don't think there is anything like that for DS. So a partial conversiuon is the best that you could hope for.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to fully build it in Carrara and then export it as an .obj with an MTL file (for textures and materials etc) and I can import the set as a static prop..or environment?

I don't imagine using it IN DAZ as much as getting my final output into Daz...

Or do I still misunderstand how Cararra might work and how this product renders itself for use in other apps?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you could I guess export the induvidual parts and use instances to build a city in D|S

There are certain features used (replicators, trees, terrains as objects, the Instance Randomizer that I mentioned) which would mean that a straight export would amount to a HUGE object, and some of the textures use procedural elements which again would not directly translate. It would not try it "as is", you are likely to crash Carrara on the export.and there would be no way that DS would handle the import.  As I say, I have thought about doing a version for DS, but it is a non-trivial task, even for me and I know my way around it and understand how it is constructed.  Carrara offers a number of features that allows large scale scenes much easier than DS.  The recent plugin UltraScatter for DS adds some features that would be useful, but it would not be a straight export/import job.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

wow... been away for a few days enjoying my sons wedding... just seen this, looks awesome, I'll see if I can get something posted today during this rainy patch we're having yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    PhilW said:

There are certain features used (replicators, trees, terrains as objects, the Instance Randomizer that I mentioned) which would mean that a straight export would amount to a HUGE object, and some of the textures use procedural elements which again would not directly translate. It would not try it "as is", you are likely to crash Carrara on the export.and there would be no way that DS would handle the import.  As I say, I have thought about doing a version for DS, but it is a non-trivial task, even for me and I know my way around it and understand how it is constructed.  Carrara offers a number of features that allows large scale scenes much easier than DS.  The recent plugin UltraScatter for DS adds some features that would be useful, but it would not be a straight export/import job.

sadly its too complex for me to grab a simple selection of each building etc, as is minus trees it was 4GB

the 4 insta city blocks on the otherhand after deleting all the honey locust trees imported easily as a DAZcollada dae most textures intact

Capture2.JPG
    421 x 849 - 52K
    Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 278K

Thansk for trying. For now, I'll stick it out and see if a Daz-friendly version arrives.

It's a genius idea though. Well done.

th3Digit said:
    PhilW said:

sadly its too complex for me to grab a simple selection of each building etc, as is minus trees it was 4GB

the 4 insta city blocks on the otherhand after deleting all the honey locust trees imported easily as a DAZcollada dae most textures intact

Except that DS does not have anything like Instance Randomizer (please correct me if I'm wrong - it would be awesome if it did! Octane has this function, as does Vue).  This set is pretty dependent on that for it's "magic" of making one building look like many different buildings.

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322

Nice and also currently there is a sale going on so good time to buy, just checking if it is permissible to use Central Business District for Carrara and Night and Day City  in Game Engines like Unity?  Dowe need a licnese of some sort?

Nice and also currently there is a sale going on so good time to buy, just checking if it is permissible to use Central Business District for Carrara and Night and Day City  in Game Engines like Unity?  Dowe need a licnese of some sort?

I am pretty sure that the Daz terms do not allow use in published games. If you are thinking of using it in Unity for your own private purposes, that would be fine, but for something commercial you would need a game licence - there are quite a few game licences from vendors on the Daz Store if you search for it. Let me know if this is your intention and maybe we can discuss offline if this is the case.  Also note the discussion above with avxp - it would be a non-trivial matter to get these products working in Unity.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

looks great looking forward to having a play - congrats again - and thanks for making stuff for Carrara !

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322
    PhilW said:

I am pretty sure that the Daz terms do not allow use in published games. If you are thinking of using it in Unity for your own private purposes, that would be fine, but for something commercial you would need a game licence - there are quite a few game licences from vendors on the Daz Store if you search for it. Let me know if this is your intention and maybe we can discuss offline if this is the case.  Also note the discussion above with avxp - it would be a non-trivial matter to get these products working in Unity.

Thanks Phil. It is still great to use them in animations, vidoes etc.

I think probably it will be good to have game license options available for all DAZ store models etc.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

From using the navigation tools in Wendy's video, I've seen how this set could really make for some great animations.

Is that a preset scene? Lots of stuff on the streets... just packed! I love that. Reminds me of Chicago. Wendy, that was fun. I am not so good with the navigation, but after a few tries I was able to turn myself to look in the direction of travel, like a film caera operator in the back of a truck. And that's where I noticed that, if we just added a few animated people here and there, moved a bunch of the vehicles (even just super simple animated moves) we could really makes some dynamic action scenes - like for Spidey, as mentioned earlier or, say, a sky car chase scene with jet bikes and such... flying super heroes... or even just a fly through the city!

Very cool Phil! Wow... I'm away for a little while and look what happens! ;)

Yes, you get all the individual buildings (36 in both day and night versions) plus a complete day scene and a complete night scene. Plus, if you have Night and Day City, you can add as many as you want to the scene replicators in that set to create even larger cities - if you haven't watched the video at the start of this thread, I show you all this and more!

edited March 2017

watching your video was very helpful,

there should be a link to the video on the product page

Post edited by Headwax on

OMG, what a great way to make modular skyscraper/city buildings! (just watched the video)

Ingenious! 

Yes, I have Day and Night City. I love how this fit in with it... very very cool! Can't wait to grab this one!

head wax said:

I'll ask Daz to put in a link.

PhilW said:
    head wax said:

I'll ask Daz to put in a link.

Yes, do. 

thanks PhilW,

was there a read me for installation?

that would also help with new users too , maybe you could add that to the video ?

edited March 2017

Here's a render of some shop fronts at the base of one of the scrapers

- really nice set PhilW. Lots of stuff and very inexpensive for what you get!

I had to change the pavement for a plane and use another texture as I couldnt get the pavement to render in Car 8.1 even after doing the mipmap thing with note book. not sure why.

EDIT: ran it through again worked like a charm.

Great set, thanks again for supporting Carrara users.

windows.jpg
    2000 x 1067 - 1M

Thanks for sharing this - odd about the pavement though.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Great set Phil!  Particularly the night scenes.  Grabbed this one as soon as I saw it.

PhilW said:

tried it again with the Filt 0 fix, worked no problem this time! 

head wax said:
    PhilW said:

tried it again with the Filt 0 fix, worked no problem this time! 

That's good to know!

Finally had time to get a render done :-)

edited March 2017

nice work, nice pose too and that window, was it already broked? 

thanks HW... mmmm.. you will need to check that out.. mwahaha.. though I did drop the instal file when I got it!

I suspect Stezza added the crack on the window in postwork.