MimicMolly's Renders & WIPs

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117

Gordig said:

MimicMolly said:

I finally picked up Bonnie 8.1 a little while ago, I read in a forum comment, that the skin was great. I was already interested in the shape since it's unique to the gene pool.

I decided to test it out on Pei, who I finally decided to download into my SSD (and copy over her character morphs to my PC.) This is Pei with Bonnie's skin and brows, and both fit her nicely, IMHO.

Among the G8.1F "Base' characters; Bonnie, Brooke, White Priestess, Clara, Jinx Jones, and Noska have been the only ones who've remotely interested me. I have all of these now except Clara and Jinx. Clara seems like I could recreate her with characters I have, just like I did with Kanade. Not sure about Jinx yet. I need to figure out and see if her skin is any different than Noska's. They both look dark and freckly.

I highly recommend Jada, if only for the skin.

I'll keep this in mind, if there's another sale. I do like Jada's makeups. (Just gotta figure out how to make other characters wear it, and vice versa.)

edited June 2022

I tried Bonnie's skin on Gina, kinda like the look, but this was a toon render, so I applied Bonnie's settings on Aurore's skin and altered them slightly, so now I'm happy with it.

I still need to figure out what skin to use for Giacomo. Might just use Kjaer 8's skin because that one is quite smooth which would work for him in this toony style. I also need to change his hair. I think I found a better one, but I need to download it.

Gina had another dress but the dForce didn't quite work out. I also gotta change the colors of their outfits to something else more in-character.

EDIT: Forgot to say that for Gina, the body morph I'm going to use for her is Mousso's Chanel HD at 100%. It is roughly the same type of slim and smaller breasted I was trying to make earlier. Gina also uses Chanel's head morph, but at 30%.

Untitled1.jpg
    1428 x 895 - 404K
    Untitled.jpg
    703 x 881 - 144K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
    edited July 2022

One of these days, I'm going to figure out how to convert Linday's Primavera Hair to G8M and then add bones to it, because it's the only one fluffy-enough, that I can think of, that matches my character's fluffy cloud-hair. (I actually based this sketch shown here, on the DAZ design I dial spun.)

I also literally bought the Corsican Raider Outfit specifically for this character because the green one was closest to what he'd wear.

Untitled1.jpg
    828 x 512 - 142K
    edited August 2022

I've been busy doing other things, like trying to draw by hand more. I even joined a doll Reddit community that reminds me a lot of how this forum used to be before Genesis 3 and the NFT stuff, and it doesn't have have any Cloudfare issues.

Anyway, here is a quick render and edit I made using WOMBO Dream. DAZ Galleries link [x].

I had seen someone mention that they were kind of sad/disappointed? that many DS/3D artists were experimenting with AI. Implying that these artists have moved on from DS to AI. Can't speak for them, but I see AI results as another tool to experiment with. Probably the only reason I'd take a long break from DAZ is once the app no longer supports my laptop.

The character is by AOBB. She is called "Sweetheart for G8.1F." I'm confused about if I'm allowed to link to other forum posts or not, but the download to this non-commercial morph is somewhere in the DAZ Forum's freebies section.

Untitled.jpg
    851 x 1512 - 407K
    edited August 2022

I was going to reply to that AI thread, but since I’m experimenting with AI here, might as well keep my opinions confined to my own thread.

Obviously, I like AIs if I’m experimenting with them. Just tried to make another WOMBO Dream/DS render by my laptop shut down on the render. My laptop would never shut down if I actually hand-drew the corrected face but the point of this particular project is meant to be with renders, not drawings. I also don’t feel “threatened” by AIs, since I’m not a professional artist. I’m a hobbyist. I create art for fun because the problem-solving aspect amuses me. Figuring out how to blend my own handmade art with the AI generated pic is just another “game” for me. Here is a recent example I posted on DeviantArt. I contemplated posting the recolor here in the DS gallery alongside the render I used as a reference, but certain people get offended by post work, so they'd naturally be more offended by a straight-up drawing which used DAZ assets as a visual reference.

Also, the main reason I refrained from posting this comment on the other thread is that I cannot see my DS renders as my own art. Yes, I set up the scene and did post work, if applicable, but I didn’t create it from scratch – I didn’t doodle the shapes and manually create a drawing. Plus, my renders don't even look like my art style. (Please see some of the previous posts. I can't recreate that look in DS at all.) I’m limited by the works of others, whom I consider collaborators because I wouldn’t have been able to create my renders without them. To me, they’re in the same category as the AIs, but a distinct group. And being the nature of the internet, my opinion would surely be grossly misinterpreted by those who are insecure.

For myself, I see AIs with optimism. I’m still young, but I worry about my own future when I can no longer draw because of arthritis. I remember some 15 or so years ago, when my mom told me that she looked forward to retirement because she’d have time to sew. But now, her hands hurt a lot and she sews only once in a while. No big projects. Since I’ve inherited many of her ailments, this fate is inevitable to me. There’s also de-motivation from work, that I’m too tired to bother creating art unless it’s worthwhile. AIs, at least at this point, help me speed up the work process. I have abandoned countless drawings because “they went on for too long,” and my motivation for them was gone...even if my artist friend circle thought they were “good.” I'm currently working on another drawing with an AI background, and obviously that has my attention more than DS.

edited September 2022

I was going to do this one the same way as the Cyberpunk Marilyn render, but I was having trouble rendering Vicey3D's Sandra (laptop kept shutting down) that I was forced to render her nude as a .PNG, so I could edit it onto my WOMBO Dream generated pic. Then, I decided to dress up Sandra in some random outfit, and then incorporate the WOMBO edit as a painting in the background. I don't have time to let this render properly, but this is a WIP.

I plan to fix the painting, since parts of it are hidden behind the frame, and her hand got cut off. That's why I moved Sandra's hand up, so it almost looks like they're holding hands.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 490K
    edited September 2022

I'm still trying to work on my previous render but I've been busy drawing. Speaking of which, I've managed to cobble up a reference for an illustration I have in mind. It is of a father teaching his young son how to drive while his two daughters are in the back playing with a Nintendo Gameboy because this drawing is meant to be a "period" one set in the 1990s. (One girl is supposed to be holding a flashlight to help her sister play, but the prop didn't render.) I used Mattymanx's Resource Savers Shaders Collection for Iray to color the figures but since I don't want my forum pic getting taken down, I've grayscaled it.

I've also "pre-ordered" V9 HD (not the bundle, because I don't buy things unseen.) I do love her skins, and that's the main motivation why. I've been wanting a light-skinned vitiligo skin and a freckled skin for a long time. I was originally going to buy that Enchanted Elven Mega Bundle for the two elves but I dislike how Emirys gives all his characters baked-in HD morphs. (In my experience, baked-in HD doesn't mix well with other HD when you're mixing characters. It's the main reason I refrain from buying characters made by PAs who do this.) V9 apparently has this problem, but her skins are useful since the UVs are totally different, so I just won't use her shape. I doubt they'd fix the product description, but V9 is not the first "Core" character with baked-in HD. As far as I know, White Priestess 8.1 has baked-in HD and that was disappointing. (I love her otherwise.) HD also increases memory consumption because of the subdivision levels. But, G9's mouth and eyeballs are separate props, and I can control the subdivision of each...or not load them at all, to save on system resources.

Anyway, I'm very excited about Genesis 9 because it's "unified" like Genesis 1. It doesn't bother my investment in the G8 figures because I will still use them for drawing references, just like this screenshot I took a few minutes ago. I used Genesis 1 for a drawing reference for a long time until I built up my G8 collection and had more than enough shapes to recreate characters with models that had better bends.

OtherLineart.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 280K
    edited October 2022

I'm trying to convert some G8 morphs and shaping presets into G9. Ironically, the only one I've had success in was the shape that's based off of me. (The convertion made the head a bit slimmer, but close enough.) I'm flattered to know that I have such an "average woman" head. Also, Zev0's Shape Rigger Plus worked for my character despite G9 being unsupported (as of this comment.)

Please note that I can't redistribute this morph for two reasons:

1. It's made up of baked in non-merchant resource morphs.
    2. Most DAZ renders are clearly "photographic" in nature and I can't trust what others will do with my likeness.
    Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 465K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

You got some good caricatures going on from your drawings. It should be easier for you do exagerate more with Genesis 9 I think. 

You got some good caricatures going on from your drawings. It should be easier for you do exagerate more with Genesis 9 I think. 

Thanks! I don't know if I'll get around to it, but if I made my own "base" character based on my drawn 2D toons for G9, I could finally feel at peace with them looking like "my style but in 3D."

My struggle is that my laptop isn't very strong and it's old, so there's too much lag. Plus, I had no real way of protecting the eyes, and inner mouth from getting distorted while I sculpted. Seems that G9 has addressed these issues, so I'm more encouraged to try again.

MimicMolly said:

nonesuch00 said:

Thanks! I don't know if I'll get around to it, but if I made my own "base" character based on my drawn 2D toons for G9, I could finally feel at peace with them looking like "my style but in 3D."

My struggle is that my laptop isn't very strong and it's old, so there's too much lag. Plus, I had no real way of protecting the eyes, and inner mouth from getting distorted while I sculpted. Seems that G9 has addressed these issues, so I'm more encouraged to try again.

I look forward to seeing them.

edited October 2022

I've tried to convert some more G8 morphs, now that I figured out how to "Show Hidden Properties" in the Parameters tab and access the clones. Here is one I did of InTheFlesh's DMC5 Vergil for G8M's head, and Dain 8's body. Unfortunately, since Vergil was a full body morph, the head wasn't a clean convertion and now the neck is weird. (So is the back of his head and jaw.)

I've also converted other shapes. But this whole process has taught me a valuable lesson in which characters and morphs I consider essential. So far, I am not fond of the eyes and the colors being Layered Images. I also think with the DO Head and Body morphs, I'll be able to get the Cornea morph, but I am also in need of an Iris Concave morph, since those usually help with making the eyes reflect light more realistically. Also with the DO Head and Body morphs, I'll get a trapezius morph which would actually fix the weirdness with Vergil.

From my experiments in transferring, I don't think I'll be very successful with big-eyed toons. I tried my take on Aeon Soul's Alice and her eyes look very off up close.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 375K
    edited October 2022

I have converted SquarePeg3D's Kuzca for G8F character from Renderhub. She's meant to be a genderbend of Emperor Kuzco from Disney's "The Emperor's New Groove." Obviously, my only critique here is that a "proper Kuzca" should've been a "petite" (very skinny, small-breasted) lady with a thigh gap. But the reason I transferred this morph over is because it works very well as a "Volumptous" morph in very small amounts, and I'm currently waiting for DAZ's Body morphs offerings.

What surprised me the most is her shoes. The stupid high-heeled base poses work with Kuzca's shoes. They're somehow the perfect angle. Even looking at this screenshot (I did try to render her normally but my laptop shut down -_-') the shoes look like they natively fit. But I shouldn't be surprised, since other shoes SquarePeg3D made in the past (from the "Wild Card for GF2," Harley Quinn cosplay) also autofit very well to G8F. (Haven't tried them G9, yet but autofit has been working great with G9, so far!)

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 367K
    edited October 2022

Okay, I managed to render it. But it wasn't the same as the first one I tried. DAZ Galleries link [x]

I also have this G8M by AOBB named Yves G9. Forgot to link to him earlier, but I plan to render him again and update the submission with other pics. [x]

KuzcaG9.jpg
    895 x 1450 - 460K
    edited October 2022

I have also transferred guhzcoituz' FF7 Scarlet for G8F to G9. As proof, I've rendered her in Victoria 9 HD's vitiligo skin. (She really needs a custom smile. The DO Expressions weren't really working for her.)

Unlike SP3D's Kuzca and Dain 8's body, I actually shortened Scarlet's legs and torso in G8F, before transferring over the modified shape on the G9 .obj. Ironically, I like the shortened modification I did because her body now usuable for me, as is. As for her face, I needed a more anime/toon character. (I do plan on transferring over Kota 8.1's head and ears, since it's very rare to find a good anime boy that mixes well.)

I'm also tempted to buy Lully's G9 LIE Makeup for G9, but at the same time, I think I should probably try to figure out how to use LIE and make my own makeups for G9.

ScarletG9.jpg
    1125 x 1821 - 724K
    edited November 2022

Another character convertion. This time, it's Valea's Cat Character and Hair. Cat has been one of my most favorite characters ever, and I've previously converted her skin to the G3F/G8F UV. (But I don't think I ever posted a pic of when I did it here. I tried to look but couldn't find it) Now it's on the G9 UV thanks to a combination of painting on the G9 model in 3DCoat and rotating the original V4 makeup around while using the 3DCoat output as a guide. (I need to do the SSS/Translucency mat for it to show up well.) Iray preview vs. Textured view in Viewport.

My problem with Cat is that her skin tone is between the Clara skin and the Kala skin. It is a darker golden color than Clara, but much lighter than Kala. Once I figure out her skin tone settings, I'll be good to go. (The body is a mix of Kuzca and the Body Fitness. Thinking about it, I should really try to transfer Noska 8.1 over.)

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 436K
    edited November 2022

Halloween may be over, but I'm still going to unnerve y'all with a bit of body horror. devil

This was my attempt at sculpting a toon character. My plan was to do one side of the face, then mirror the morph in DAZ Studio, before sending it back to Blender to further refine it. I have no idea what could've possibly went wrong with my attempt because the .OBJ loads fine, Morph Loader Pro processed it like the other converted morphs I did before...and yet my round-eyed toon is melted. The mysteries of 3D.

I tried importing my morph several times and it was always melted.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 420K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

MimicMolly said:

Halloween may be over, but I'm still going to unnerve y'all with a bit of body horror. devil

This was my attempt at sculpting a toon character. My plan was to do one side of the face, then mirror the morph in DAZ Studio, before sending it back to Blender to further refine it. I have no idea what could've possibly went wrong with my attempt because the .OBJ loads fine, Morph Loader Pro processed it like the other converted morphs I did before...and yet my round-eyed toon is melted. The mysteries of 3D.

That's.... a rather interesting effect...

MimicMolly said:

That's.... a rather interesting effect...

It went from cutesy toon to Creature from the Black Lagoon...Maybe I could work something out later.
    edited December 2022

Haven't been rendering much since Pokemon Scarlet and Violet released. That game's exploring has taken up my time, as I try to fill out the Pokedex in Paldea (their version of Spain.)

Anyway, this is a test render I did of Minerva 9's skin and makeup. I don't know how to feel about the script that applies it. I think DS will crash during the delay while it applies it. (Might just go ahead and buy that one makeup from Renderosity, if the site actually loads.) I had tried Minerva's makeup with the default/Victoria 8.1 skin and it looked decent. (I don't usually do outlandish makeup for my characters, so what came with Minerva is good.) This character is a transferred one from G8F.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 405K

MimicMolly said:

Haven't been rendering much since Pokemon Scarlet and Violet released. That game's exploring has taken up my time, as I try to fill out the Pokedex in Paldea (their version of Spain.)

Anyway, this is a test render I did of Minerva 9's skin and makeup. I don't know how to feel about the script that applies it. I think DS will crash during the delay while it applies it. (Might just go ahead and buy that one makeup from Renderosity, if the site actually loads.) I had tried Minerva's makeup with the default/Victoria 8.1 skin and it looked decent. (I don't usually do outlandish makeup for my characters, so what came with Minerva is good.) This character is a transferred one from G8F.

Nicely done.

edited May 2023

Sorry if this seems like I'm necroing this thread but I haven't had much time to render and I think my laptop doesn't want to cooperate anymore. It shuts down in the middle of renders now. But I guess that's just what old hardware does. (For my purposes, it runs well except with DS.) Anyway, to take the load off the CPU or whatever, I've decided to try out mixing my renders with filters and AI. But this means I will have to do more work with editing, which I don't mind because painting is fun. 

Anyway, here is a render of my OC Gina and her kitbashed outfit (which is the Chosen Outfit for G8F + shaders applied, and the Bootleggers for G8F.) Plus one with an "anime" filter. Her is a bigger pic of both renders separate in the DAZ Galleries [x].

At this point, it doesn't seem to matter what figure I use for rendering. I just need to have notable characters recreated in any for the sake of outfit compatibility. G9 tends to wear clothes the best. Too bad I can't buy anymore new stuff due to IRL problems. Oh well. Autofit will be suffice for now.

Kim3.jpg
    1546 x 1000 - 1007K
    Also, I wanted to say that HH Belle for G9 is an excellent base for Gina. Only difference is that Belle is way bustier than Chanel. So now, I'm not sure if I should make the G8F version bustier or reduce the bust size on the G9 version. But then, I don't think people will notice much. Gina's most striking feature is meant to be her intense icy blue eyes anyway.
    edited September 2023

I've been so busy that I really haven't had time to render anything, because it's the most time-consuming hobby I have. (Even more than sewing, but that's because I can't easily "walk away" from a render.) Takes a while to set up a scene, then an even longer while trying to render it. This isn't counting whether or not my laptop decides to throw in the towel.

Today, I wanted to take the time to talk about Calypso 9, who didn't get her own thread. Here is a render I did with her and my own self-insert G9 (who has been improved and is the most accurate looking model to date. I wish I could transfer her head over to G8F and the rest of the other Genesis models.) Anyway, this render attempt also managed to have the same fate of my laptop crashing. Fortunately, I did save the scene, so I could try again later (I suspect its the reflective shader acting up.) And this render was saved in the temp file.

Anyway, Calypso 9 is the only Thorne character I currently have for G9. And I'm glad I waited because she comes with monster teeth, claws, head spikes, lots of morphs, compared to the regular G9 characters who just come with their regular and HD morphs. She was also at a bargain that I grabbed her Pro Bundle (but haven't downloaded the content yet.) The additional morphs; Old, Toon, "Plus-Size" work well with other shapes. The Toon shape is very similar to Calypso's head, the only difference is that it's more neutral/less-"Thorny" and mixes better.

Test2.jpg
    1400 x 1024 - 584K
    edited September 2023

Since I can't render, I will roughly explain how I made this new head morph. I used Face Gen (to G8F) and a combination of Blender. I had previously made a G9 bodysuit in the shape of G8F, so I applied this bodysuit and dialed in the Face Gen head. Then, I sent this to Blender to refine. (I don't know if there's been an update for Face Gen to work with G9. So in the meantime, I use this crude method.) Then, I imported my .OBJ and made a head morph. Still rigged it with the non-G9 Shape Rigger Plus, that I haven't updated and won't. (Apparently, it no longer works with G9. So you would have to buy the new version which supposedly does more.)

As for the skin, I had used Map Transfer to transfer the G9 Clara face skin as a G8F UV material. Then, I used Map Transfer again to make the result back into G9. Afterwards, I was just carefully painting it over and doing color corrections with GIMP to match the original G9 skin. I did this for both the Diffuse and SS texture. Since this is for my own personal use, my method is sufficient. Interestingly, my eyebrows almost match with the default load of the Card Eyebrows.  For my self-insert's eyes, I used JP Sandor HD's brown eyes. They are not LIE, which is what I wanted, plus the color was close to mine, so that's good.

(Seriously, I want to transfer this exact head shape backwards, just so I don't have to deal with Autofit and other conversion issues.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, another reason I haven't been posting is because these forums are screwing up pics. So I'll have to go back and fix things.

edited April 3

Only thing I did today was finally change my PFP, but to an edited mix of AI and a mostly nude G9 figure. (For this reason, I don't know if it would be allowed in the DAZ Gallery, which just seems...unused. At least for products I want to buy that get linked to that browser extension.) DAZ Galleries link [x]

Anyway, this is the result, which is just meant to look good in a tiny icon. (So you can see the grain and the attempt to smudge it.) 

My intention was that I wanted an icon that mimicked (lol) Evanescence's "Fallen" album cover, but also that my PFP looked a bit like a "cyberpunk Edward Scissorhands." (Mostly because AI seems to do "Cyberpunk" so well.) Ironically, I am the antithesis of "goth," the PFP is not a good representation of me, although it shares my likeness. (I would actually buy a weird outfit like this for G8F or G9. I think I may own something similar already. Looks like something that could've come in Zelara 8's bundles.)

This is just a screenshot of me lining up the model.

Unfortunately, it seems like my PC can't really handle this app much to create finished renders. But, I have been referencing the Viewpoint renders for my drawings, so all my investment is not lost. I don't know if I should share my drawings and doodles here. I have posted a few before, but it seems more like I'm showing off my hand-eye coordination than the stuff I bought. XD

Untitled1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 392K
    Untitled2.jpg
    750 x 750 - 214K
    edited April 3

Edit Apr. 3, 2024: DAZ Galleries link [x]

Edit Mar. 7, 2024: I'm just going to test if I can post something. (See the following post.)

Edit Feb. 29, 2024: It's been a long time since I've updated this thread. The main reason I had mostly stopped was because I don't want to waste my time struggling with the forums not allowing me to post pics. Especially, since I have even less time to actually render anything. Secondly, I've been too busy IRL. But I will see if I could try to post something soon.

Edit Oct. 31, 2023: I practically signed up at the last minute but I'm doing NaNoWriMo 2023. Like DAZ, this was one of those things where people sort of mentioned it in a hush-hush way and never explained it. My beta reader friend was going to try this year, so they explained some things to me. The most important one was that I didn't have to start a new project from scratch. So I'll be busy trying to split that 50k word count between 6 different WIPs of mine.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be rendering or editing AI pics much on November.

__

Today I edited another AI pic and I tried to make this OC with FaceGen and Blender. I will need to find a pale donor skin for him.

The AI pic. I like this one. It proves my point that if you actually do your part and manually edit the generated result, you end up with a really abstract, "artsy" pic. The eye gets drawn to the face, so when there's no messed up smudges, then it's visually acceptable.

This is an OC. I mixed three similar-looking faces together to get him. The G8M FaceGen result made his head really round. I prefer to work with G9 because it has no eyeballs, so I moved up his round head to G9 and edited that with Blender. (I cannot quite figure out how to fix his eyes.) Then I used Map Transfer to make the G8M UV into G9. I want to draw this character, but I'm also planning on mixing him with AI.

Untitled1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 402K
    CyberMari.png
    400 x 400 - 439K
    edited March 7

Yes, it let me post! Good. XD

Back on the 5th, ManFriday's Figure Converter for Genesis 9 was in the Fast Grab, so I bought it since I've heard it was one of the better converters. Just finished converting a couple today, but I want to see if I can convert more characters during Spring Break. It works well for G8M and G8F, just need to rig the results. I have no idea what happened to Elijah 7 though. His face and body are good...but those arms. But I'll see if I can try to salvage him, maybe he needs to be in the A-pose? (I also want to redo SquarePeg3D's Desert Champion character. I want to give her wider shoulders.) A thing I have found is that I must rename G3 and G8 figure in the scene, so that name can be the morph name. Because when I did Elijah 7 (first one) it called him "Genesis 3 Male Converted to G9."

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 311K
    edited April 3

Edit Apr. 3, 2024: DAZ Galleries link [x]

I need to check, but I don't know if [cartoony] drawings are allowed in the DAZ Galleries, provided that I post the render reference I made along with it too. My drawings are obviously the purest form of 2D art, which is apparently problematic when displayed next to 3D art. I also don't if AI edits are allowed there. Just to be on the safe side, my AI pics are either posted on deviantART and Renderosity, and not here.

Anyway, this is the most recent AI edit I've made. It's a nice relaxing "doodle" to take a break from an actual 2D drawing that was referenced off a DAZ Model. This AI edit is technically another self-portrait, except that my hair isn't styled like AprilYSH's Voss Hair. I want to make another edit, but I'm not sure if I deleted the other AI pics that Microsoft Copilot showed me. Gotta check that too. X'D

Untitled.jpg
    1125 x 1125 - 372K
    edited March 12

Actually, Bing didn't delete my other pics. But I'm not sure if I'll have time to do them, because Spring Break will be over before I know it.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can sneak my actual sketches like this into my renders one of these days. (I don't want to mix my 2D Illustrations with these edits.) But I'm posting this weird little render because the phone prop's screen will somehow be obscured in the final pic.

Untitled.jpg
    775 x 891 - 221K