Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - VOTING IS NOW CLOSED, WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

So who are the winners?  wink 

Thank you for hosting... you have done a very good job and seem to have picked up some extra votes via Art Studio post of yours... oh my.... think you created more work for yerself...  Very good theme and requirements... Kewl!

Thanks to DAZ for sponsoring and also to GKDantas for donating... one of my favorite PAs.

A very special thanks to those who mentioned and/or voted for me... I think I've tied with some CarrarArtists for least votes. cheeky

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    wgdjohn said:

So who are the winners?  wink 

Got to build up suspense.  Saturday is usually pretty slow around here.smiley

wgdjohn said:

Thank you for hosting... you have done a very good job and seem to have picked up some extra votes via Art Studio post of yours... oh my.... think you created more work for yerself...  Very good theme and requirements... Kewl!

Thanks!

wgdjohn said:

Thanks to DAZ for sponsoring and also to GKDantas for donating... one of my favorite PAs.

And wonderful person, I might add.

wgdjohn said:

A very special thanks to those who mentioned and/or voted for me... I think I've tied with some CarrarArtists for least votes. cheeky

I didn't vote, but you were one of my top three.  The aesthetic of your image won me over.

Alas, my brief (but glorious!) reign is coming to an end.

(sniff)

But before surrendering the scepter of power, I'd like to offer some final words of appreciation.

First, I want to thank the "old hands" here who entered.  Through their continued participation, these artists have kept the Carrara Challenge going, year in and year out.  Did you know that Head Wax, Varsel, Diomede, and EvilProducer  were all there in the very first Challenge?  Stezza was in the second one.  Thanks guys, for participating in this one, and for being the positive force that keeps this Challenge vital (and by extension, also helps keep Carrara vital).

Second, thanks to the experienced pros here for their patience with my "no postwork" rule.  I'm sure it was a hassle, but the renders were awesome.  If it crimped your style, I didn't notice.

Third, I really enjoyed those NPR renders!  There were almost half of the total entries.  A special thanks to Head Wax, Stezza, and Diomede for showing us newbies the way. 

Forth, I want to point out that DAZ has now sponsored 32 straight Challenges.  Thank you DAZ, for stepping up, one more time!

Finally, thanks to Marcelo Teixeira (GKDantas) who also stepped up to become the Carrara PA host for this Challenge.   Communicating with him, and the other PA's, has been a joy. 

But now, it's time for the sweaty-palms stuff.  The votes were close (gee, what a surprise).  There were some tough head-to-head matches that went right down to the wire.  A couple of ambitious artists tried to win everything, but the single-prize rule prevailed and allowed others to share in the bounty.  The results were unambiguous and conclusive.

After careful deliberation, computation, and consternation, and attempted cash bribes from Head Wax, I do hereby proclaim the following winners of the DAZ prizes:

Best Participation:  Stezza, $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best Photorealistic Render:  Head Wax (#20), $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best NonPhotorealistic Render:  Diomede (#7), $50.00 in DAZ prizes

Best Demonstration of Theme:  Pnewhook (#18), $45.00 in DAZ prizes

And in addition, the Carrara PA award prizes go to:

Best Artist (combined):  Head Wax, an item from the GKDantas store

Best Picture (overall):  Pnewhook (#18), an item from the GKDantas store.

Congratulations to all!!  I will send a PM to each winner within a day or two.

But there is more:

As  a "thank you" for years of support, and for participating and voting in this Challenge, Marcelo wants everyone to have a free gift.

His "Killer Tomato" scene above was 100% modeled in Carrara.  You can now download the complete scene here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6tk46b3bu6s74r/KillerTomato Public.zip?dl=0

Thank you Marcelo!

And now we come to the final act of Challenge #32.  What follows is the order of ascension to the throne for hosting Carrara Challenge #33.  If the heir apparent  (Stezza ) declines for whatever reason, the next in line is asked, and so on.

Best Participation - Stezza

Best PR Render - Head Wax

Best NPR Render - Diomede

Best Use of Theme - Pnewhook

Stezza, the scepter is now in your hands!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Thank you UB for your excellent hosting and coming up with a number of ideas which I hope will shape things for many challenges to come - your work on this has been above and beyond!

And of course many congrats to the winners! All the entries were deserving of some merit.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2017

Congratulations, Stezza, HW, and Pnewhook.

Thank you, Marcello, for the full Killer Tomato scene.  Very generous.  Love your work.  I am currently playing with the plant editor and have your Carrara leaves packs.  yesyes

UnifiedBrain - you did a great job.  Thanks again to Daz for sponsoring.  As UB pointed out, I have been particpating in the monthy challenges since the beginning.  I'm not supposed to get a prize.  That is a longstanding tradition.  Just another way that this was an iconoclastic challenge.    So, a genuine thank you to anyone who found something in one of my images to vote for.  Much appreciated.

However, I can't help but look at the other entries and think that there is something wrong if I got a prize.  This month in particular had so many fantastic entries.  So, we have to keep the running joke going.  Any time I get a prize, two things usually happen.  (1) someone complains that artists are allowed to submit multiple images and (2) speaking of the voting, we have to rewatch the classic scene from Citizen Kane  laugh

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Congrats to the winners!

I forgot to vote but there were so many amazing entries I probably wouldn't have been able to narrow it down anyway. smiley

Marcelo you deseve a huge thanks for the scene!... so take these kisskiss...one for each cheek. :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2017

Hey Diomede got a prize? It must be rigged :)

Heh, small joke.

Well thanks so much what a great challenge. And superbly run by our fearless leader UB! Thanks for taking so much time and spending so much energy and enthusiasm.

And of course a big thanks to DAz and a BIG THANKS to GKDantas! :) :)

LOve the killer tomato !

And congrats to all the participants and winners! I think we all learnt something, I know I learned stacks!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Congratulations to all winners! UnifiedBrain, you did extremely excellent hosting ever.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2017

Well, I'll be a killer tomato!

Didn't expect that and have been caught unawares..

to echo head wax thanks so much what a great challenge yes

Well done UB... I have no idea on the scoring principles involved and applied so if everyone wishes to keep the same style of scoring that's cool if you can tally the end of the next challenge for me.

Great participation, congrats to winners and all entrants and thanks to GKDantas for his/her support and freebie.. and Thanks DAZ smiley

as it's mothers day here today and the missus' birthday I will need a day or so to come up with something.. and we won't have any power on Monday.. pole replacments happening..

thinking cap is now on............................. hmmmm...............

Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza's gonna have Pole Cats disrupting his power. laugh

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

UB---There should be an award for the 'host with the most'heart You put so much energy and creativity into making the challenge interesting and rewarding! yes

Congrats everyone!!!  LOVE the tomato, thanks Marcelo laughyes Silene

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Congrats winners & participants.

Thanks to UB, DAZ3D, and GKDantas.

Looking forward with what Stezza will choose.

edited May 2017

PhilW, Diomede, Head Wax, Vyusur, Stezza, SileneUK, ans Bunyip02:

Many thanks for your kind words!  The Carrara Challenge is too important to screw up, so I gave it a full effort (as many have before).

I'm still not sure how I got to be host, but the experience has been unforgettable . This community is filled with wonderful people and great support.

heart

And for Marcelo, an extra heartheart Giving the tomato scene was all his idea.  I "highly recommend" that you download it because...

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

But there is more:

As  a "thank you" for years of support, and for participating and voting in this Challenge, Marcelo wants everyone to have a free gift.

His "Killer Tomato" scene above was 100% modeled in Carrara.  You can now download the complete scene here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6tk46b3bu6s74r/KillerTomato Public.zip?dl=0

Thank you Marcelo!

Has anyone else tried to download this and had issues? I have two different browsers telling me it's not a valid URL and there's nothing there and a third browser goes crazy with security warnings when I try to follow that link. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Fantastic! I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to vote. 

Congrats to all! yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Mark, I was able to download the tomato file after I signed in to Dropbox.  If you continue to have trouble, and if Marcello agrees, I think we can attach a zip of the file to a post in the thread.

MDO2010 said:

But there is more:

Thank you Marcelo!

Has anyone else tried to download this and had issues? I have two different browsers telling me it's not a valid URL and there's nothing there and a third browser goes crazy with security warnings when I try to follow that link. 

hya its downloading fine for me on google chrome

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Geez! Sorry I missed the voting! I meant to get in, I really did! One of my best friends went into the hospital with a perforated large intestine, and had to have about a foot of it removed. sad 

Downloaded fine via FireFox... didn't have to sign in to dropbox.  Just tested the file... works good but can't find "GIDome109.hdr" which is likely in one of Marcelo's GIDome packs I have in my wishlist.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    wgdjohn said:

Stezza's gonna have Pole Cats disrupting his power. laugh

reminds me of Calamity Jane & Deadwood City... but what is a pole cat?.. is it a ferral cat?

power is back on cool

edited May 2017

Skunk = Polecat -- could also be a Ferret  :)  -  Columbia Encyclopedia the definitions

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444

A-a-a! I missed it all! This was a fantastic challenge!!! Great hosting, UnifiedBrain! yes And gorgeous entries throughout! In a way I was spared some serious anxiety by missing the voting!

Congratulations to the winners! yes

Many thanks to Marcelo for the fun scene!

I can't wait to see what Stezza will come up with! smiley

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

Congratulations to the winners!

Thank you, UnifiedBrain for your effort in hosting!

Thanks Alberto!  Loved your theme.

And thank you, Antara.  As you one of the "old hands" around here since the 2nd Challenge (which you won), I was hoping that you would enter this one.  But I understand.  Perhaps Stezza can entice you into the next one!

edited May 2017

I just realized that I didn't give a report on the NPR experiment, and how it turned out.

As you all know, one of the requirements for this Challenge was, if you entered more than one render, at least one of them had to be NPR (NonPhotoRealistic).  Carrara comes with two NPR tools, and has numerous available NPR plugins.

Many of you had never explored this part of Carrara before, but bravely stepped up and came up with an entry.  Kudos to you!

When the time for voting came around, I briefly considered asking voters to specify at least one NPR render in the four-vote total.  But then I thought, "Let's let the NPR images stand on their own merit."  If NPR has any chance of being a regular category in the furure, we need to know right now if the style is popular enough to be supported by the voting community.

I'm happy to report, that right out of the gate, NPR images received 23 votes!  That was almost 30% of the 84 total votes cast, with no help from any special voting instructions.  To me, that says a lot.

I think that with artists like Head Wax, Diomede, and Stezza leading the way, NPR is here to say.  I would say that it is a renaissance, but I don't think that NPR in Carrara has ever been fully explored.  Rather, this is something new, and it is exciting to see it unfold.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Very cool! Yeah, I was really impressed by the NPR renders! 

I would say that it is a renaissance, but I don't think that NPR in Carrara has ever been fully explored.  Rather, this is something new, and it is exciting to see it unfold.

yes, there has been brief forays but always uncrossable  mountains jumped up afore us :)

Perhaps a requirement could even be "More than one entry requires that at least one be NPR"... that would certainly expose it even more.  Even though I have so far only had one entry... thanks to UB for haveing me a new door... I'll certainly have an NPR now and then.  Hmmm perhaps I'll start designing for a PR scene and then also convert it to NPR... will have to give it a go.

wgdjohn said:

Perhaps a requirement could even be "More than one entry requires that at least one be NPR"... that would certainly expose it even more.

John that WAS the requirement.smiley  I think the question now is, should this be a permanent requirement?  It's in the hands of each host at this point.

Hope you keep experimenting.  I really liked your render, as I mentioned.