Low Poly People. Full Tutorial in 4 parts.

Comments

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited December 1969

Looks nearly the same to me, except that I don't think that you need to re-rig a figure that has been prepared by Decimator from within DS.
    If your file size increased after Decimation, perhaps you were comparing it only to the base figure? The Decimator itself gives you options, like this one you've pointed out, on how far to decimate to. The video example you've linked reduces the entire thing to 30,000 polygons. You can do the same with Decimator. But like I've said before, I haven't much experience using it - so I wouldn't be able to claim one to be better than the other.

But if you saw how the video made a fully clothed figure with hair as a result, that's what you can use Decimator for as well. As the other looks to be 50% more expensive for their pro version, I'd look deeper into what you wish to do with it.

edited December 1969

While it might not have any narrated voice acting, This Video Tutorial for Decimator by DAZ 3D is an excellent example of using it - albeit an earlier version of DAZ Studio - the workflow should still be the same.

edited December 1969

While it might not have any narrated voice acting, This Video Tutorial for Decimator by DAZ 3D is an excellent example of using it - albeit an earlier version of DAZ Studio - the workflow should still be the same.

Thank you all for you help again

edited December 1969

No problem Zaintc!
    You'll see... you'll be helping me in no time! ;)
    This is how we learn :)

edited December 1969

I tried the decimator it must be only about poly count, it makes the file size larger. I had a file that I hid as much as 65% to 85% of the body w/o decimating it. It was under 400k (not mb) in DS with saved as a Carrara file it 45 mb, why? and decimated file went from 400k to 4mb in DS and when saved in Carrara 450mb. I must be doing something wrong, I hope so, LOL

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

How are you saving the Carrara file? Internally or locally?

edited January 2014

How are you saving the Carrara file? Internally or locally?

localiy, that makes a difference? (the default)
    Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

Internally makes the files size almost triple

edited December 1969

zaintc said:

That's why asked.

edited January 2014

zaintc said:

That's why asked.
    So the file size locally it is what it is?

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    zaintc said:

That's why asked.

When the file is saved locally it references things like image maps. This should keep the file size lower. When the file is saved internally it will save the image maps within the scene file in a high quality lossless format, even if the original file is a lossy compression such as .jpg. Essentially, it up-converts the image file. From what I understand, geometry is saved within the scene file no matter what option you use. This is why it's a good idea to periodically use the Remove Unused Masters option under the Edit menu. Especially if you have been adding and removing figures or objects. It can also help to consolidate duplicate shaders and remove unused shaders.

edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    zaintc said:

That's why asked.

When the file is saved locally it references things like image maps. This should keep the file size lower. When the file is saved internally it will save the image maps within the scene file in a high quality lossless format, even if the original file is a lossy compression such as .jpg. Essentially, it up-converts the image file. From what I understand, geometry is saved within the scene file no matter what option you use. This is why it's a good idea to periodically use the Remove Unused Masters option under the Edit menu. Especially if you have been adding and removing figures or objects. It can also help to consolidate duplicate shaders and remove unused shaders.
    Oh ok, thank you very much

edited January 2014

While trying to find misc support for Carrara, I see this, really?
    http://www.daz3d.com/iclone5-facial-pipeline-power-bundle
    And this
    http://www.daz3d.com/3dxchange5-training-video

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

Ummm, So? Not to be flip, but I'm not sure what the complaint is?

edited December 1969

If you ever used iclone you would, why would they help iclone better than they would Carrara, I said this before other than animatation graph editor iclone could be better than Carrara. Its excepts Daz characters better, easier facial animation (less work to do) it aslo has a lanscape platform. The render seems equal or better. I spent 9 months trying to find a animation platform that would easily except Daz people (little to no issues) Iclone wins better than Carrara, A DAZ PRODUCT!!!!. I just find that strange...
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:

If you ever used iclone you would, why would they help iclone better than they would Carrara, I said this before other than animatation graph editor iclone could be better than Carrara. Its excepts Daz characters better, easier facial animation (less work to do) it aslo has a lanscape platform. The render seems equal or better. I spent 9 months trying to find a animation platform that would easily except Daz people (little to no issues) Iclone wins better than Carrara, A DAZ PRODUCT!!!!. I just find that strange...

I use DS - Carrara - iClone and others - depends on what I want to do .

edited December 1969

Looks just as expensive, and quite frankly, it may be able to use terrains, but I saw nothing about modeling, terrain creation or any of the other feature set that Carrara has. As to compatibility, I can't speak to Genesis, but I have never had an issue with Gen 3 or Gen 4 figures in Carrara.

edited December 1969

Looks just as expensive, and quite frankly, it may be able to use terrains, but I saw nothing about modeling, terrain creation or any of the other feature set that Carrara has. As to compatibility, I can't speak to Genesis, but I have never had an issue with Gen 3 or Gen 4 figures in Carrara.

I have never been able to use Gen 3/4 in DS 4.6. I have Gen 5, there is a terrain modeler (just not as good as Carrara) I am still learning Carrara, it sort of reminds me of Poser a little. For me not being a modeller, I just want to make add DS characters for a animation program to express my platform, etc. I stil find shader issues when I import DS characters into Carrara and specifically (supersuit) wont import correctly into Carrara (shaders, etc) I had to make adjustments due when I import the same characters inclone wont work in Carrara (I loose fk/ik, the bones separate fom the body) I will still try to use Carrara (even if only to tween the animation for iclone) I hope that wont be the case though
    edited December 1969

Did you say that iClone accepts DAZ 3D figures better than Carrara? I thought you had to drop an extra five hundred for that to work.

edited January 2014

Did you say that iClone accepts DAZ 3D figures better than Carrara? I thought you had to drop an extra five hundred for that to work.

Who told you that?

I was using iclone 5.0 when I was importing DS people, if you are referring to 3DXChange (Pipeline) thats for exporting out of iclone
    Otherwise the Pro version of Iclone works fine

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

I have a question for you, I just saw you have a product page here for Carrara. Please make some advance tutorials for Carrara (I have a list!!!) Wish List
    edited December 1969

What I like about iclone, it supports green screen tech. I was gonna make a music video for my album a few years back

edited December 1969

Carrara produces alpha channels, and can import and export camera motion data for camera tracking software. I'm sure iClone can as well. I'm not dissing it, just saying for $400.00, bucks, I'm not to worried about it competing with Carrara. They are different animals.

edited December 1969

Carrara produces alpha channels, and can import and export camera motion data for camera tracking software. I'm sure iClone can as well. I'm not dissing it, just saying for $400.00, bucks, I'm not to worried about it competing with Carrara. They are different animals.

I agree, as I said for me if Iclone had a better animate editor, we wouldn't even have this conversation
    edited January 2014
    iClonePipeline.jpg
    350 x 455 - 31K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

It looks to me like THIS contains everything, not just the exchange program. If that is indeed the case, according to what I've seen in the video to the left, just under the Take a Step button under iClone5, that's a really good price. I recall glancing through the details of this whole setup together, and having such a powerful set of very useful tools is a steal for that price, in my opinion. Being able to graphics card render background surrounds for use in the cpu rendered, GI/IL bliss of Carrara for the main focus stuff... BAM! Now that could make for an excellent workflow, I think. They (iClone5) have what appears to be a very extensive way to make all sorts of entirely individual, yet super fast, people with an enormous wealth of animation possibilities, what about rendering a town full of busy folks as your background. You could even edit the footage with video processing before back-dropping it into Carrara. Using simple geometry, if iClone5 can render with alpha, you could even layer animated scene elements that may be reused for multiple scenes. This could be as simple as a person, or a small group of people, going about whatever they do. Project that onto a plane in front of, and behind others of other things. Hmmmm....

I say this because I think Wendy told me that iClone5 is blazing fast to render - and I already know that she loves the software, hence my interest in it. It's still not making into my budget for now... but ideas like that certainly have me thinking about changing that and giving it a whirl! Grab an XBox Kinnect camera or two and really go to town! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

It looks to me like THIS contains everything, not just the exchange program. If that is indeed the case, according to what I've seen in the video to the left, just under the Take a Step button under iClone5, that's a really good price. I recall glancing through the details of this whole setup together, and having such a powerful set of very useful tools is a steal for that price, in my opinion. Being able to graphics card render background surrounds for use in the cpu rendered, GI/IL bliss of Carrara for the main focus stuff... BAM! Now that could make for an excellent workflow, I think. They (iClone5) have what appears to be a very extensive way to make all sorts of entirely individual, yet super fast, people with an enormous wealth of animation possibilities, what about rendering a town full of busy folks as your background. You could even edit the footage with video processing before back-dropping it into Carrara. Using simple geometry, if iClone5 can render with alpha, you could even layer animated scene elements that may be reused for multiple scenes. This could be as simple as a person, or a small group of people, going about whatever they do. Project that onto a plane in front of, and behind others of other things. Hmmmm....

I say this because I think Wendy told me that iClone5 is blazing fast to render - and I already know that she loves the software, hence my interest in it. It's still not making into my budget for now... but ideas like that certainly have me thinking about changing that and giving it a whirl! Grab an XBox Kinnect camera or two and really go to town! :ahhh:

I kind of understood what iclone could do (at least for what I wanted it to do for me) I am looking at it from a animator’s point of view (less for me to do!) It has almost complete DS support (I wont start again, lol) with DS total Facial Animation support, no plugins needed to record facial recordings, 3dxchange allows you to auto convert obj/fbx, etc to auto conform to iclones environment (no shader, poly count, etc issues) Even creating avatars (characters) seems easier to do in this program, the skin shaders are easier to use and access. I have used this program for almost 2 years, it hurt me to leave it. It helped me story book my scenes and create more than half of my movie. I was able to understand particles and physics better in this program and it has from a beginners to intermediate-advance tutorial wealth of help on this program . To me its a out the box, install and use program, unlike any of the others!!

edited December 1969

If you were joking, I wasnt. There isnt much current information on the latest version of Carrara other than from the blogs here and no real video support from Daz. I really dont need to explain what we all know to be true. Which is why I was confused when Daz keeps supporting almost all of the new versions of iclone. (OK, I WILL NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN!!!!, maybe, lol)

edited December 1969

No, I'm no joking. Looks really cool, and like a very good deal for all that it does. The thing is that, and this only comes from never have tried iClone ever - I understand that iClone has less realism in the render output - but much faster. It takes advantage of the same sort of immediate responses, like a game engine renders - which is very cool. I'm thinking that this might make for a great addition to my animation workflow. Now all I need is permission! LOL
    That's gonna take some time. I've already been granted, and have spent, some good investment coin in this realm recently ... I better not push it for a while.